Guitar sonic vintagising - ToneRite, etc

What's Hot

Comments

• Standing on one leg while playing ensures a more focussed vibration.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I'm still considering getting either a ToneRite or Tone Traveler as I have too many acoustics to break in through playing alone. Has anybody tried both? The ToneRite is less expensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    I'm still considering getting either a ToneRite or Tone Traveler as I have too many acoustics to break in through playing alone. Has anybody tried both? The ToneRite is less expensive.
    I have the ToneRite, they have been around for many years, and I have seen them in use in high-end shops and workshops.
    I have another one that works using transducers, that you play music into - same principle as the Tone traveller.

I suspect the transducer ones are better, but they are so noisy to use!
    edited January 2
    How about just playing music loudly in front of the guitar lol? I've read that the TT has better results than the TR. I just don't know. 

TBH if I have so many guitars that I need one of these to bring them to life... Then I have too many guitars and need to downsize. I can see how it's a useful tool to check whether a guitar WILL come to life or not.
    How about just playing music loudly in front of the guitar lol? I've read that the TT has better results than the TR. I just don't know. 

TBH if I have so many guitars that I need one of these to bring them to life... Then I have too many guitars and need to downsize. I can see how it's a useful tool to check whether a guitar WILL come to life or not.
    I think the original idea was based on someone having guitars near a loudspeaker.
    Trouble is, that would be loud.
    Well I got a ToneRite from one of our posters here and so far after 2.5 days I think it has had some effect on one of my OMs that it's been on. Will keep it on some more but so far I do think this thing works and I'm glad I tried it. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    Interested in this as I have ordered a guitar from a builder and am aware of the old adage that the worst a hand made guitar sounds is when it’s handed over to you. I have seen the Tone Rite described as as an “aquarium pump motor” (I imagine a vibratory pump as found in cheaper espresso machines). Cheap versions can be found on ebay for £15.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403912274121

The Tone Traveler sounds more sophisticated, being a sort of speaker with audio played through it which is apparently tuned to each string (I’m a bit sceptical of that as it implies it only excites each string at the open string frequency.)

I might just try leaving it on a stand in front of some hifi speakers with my old iPod on shuffle while I’m at work.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5448
    I am one of those people who believes getting better at something comes from doing that thing more.
    Do these make bad playing sound good? Thought not. That's me out then.

But wait! Surely by now you have been at it long enough to have got really good at playing badly. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 9
    I'm on the fence re tone-rites; I have no relevant experience to make a judgement from. However I know for a fact that if I spend two hours a day physically playing a guitar for a month, at the end of that time  I'm more of a musician than I was to start with.

PS: and if you want to meet someone who is unquestionably getting really good at playing badly, I'm your man
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    On the strength of this thread, and on hearing that Ramirez use it on their new guitars, I bought a Tone-Rite about two years ago. It has made a significant difference (positive) on quite a few guitars.

I did look into the audio option - but it is bad enough having the Tone-Rite humming away in the background doing its stuff continuously for 3 days (that's how long it takes) without having to contend with loud music.

I've found the best results come when I leave a guitar to rest for a day or two when the Tone-Rite treatment has finished. I suppose it is a bit like marathon training - train hard, rest, perform!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1851
    Tannin said:
    I am one of those people who believes getting better at something comes from doing that thing more.
    Do these make bad playing sound good? Thought not. That's me out then.

But wait! Surely by now you have been at it long enough to have got really good at playing badly. :)
    I'm also really bad at playing good!
    Tried the ToneRite on a second guitar. Amazing results after just 24 hours. I am a believer...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    Do you feel the results are short-lived or do you think they are for good?
    Ricjo said:
    Do you feel the results are short-lived or do you think they are for good?
    I've had one for ages.
    generally the results seem to be permanent.
    However, my stiff adirondack top needs waking up for 10 mins after being left unplayed for a while
    Tried the ToneRite on a second guitar. Amazing results after just 24 hours. I am a believer...
    Weird is it not? Seems like some strange old snake oil crap, and I know you are sciencey/engineering like me, so it does invite scepticism

However, my stiff adirondack top needs waking up for 10 mins after being left unplayed for a while
    Indeed. My Red Spruce Guild was the same. You had to hammer it with lots of play-time before it sweetened up and became a real joy under the fingers. With various other instruments in my stable it seldom got enough. My brother has it now - his only good acoustic - I hope he gives it heaps!
    Can't say if long-lasting as only recently got it but trust ToneControl
    I totally believe that moving a top will affect its sound - and would take years of play to achieve the same. 
    I think has more effect on new / stiffer guitars and all guitars are different so might affect some more than others... but it has DEFINITELY opened up two guitars now.
  • RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    Cool, thanks for both of your insights. 

I think I’ve just been talked into buying one 

My adi tops also take some 10mins to warm up. But even after then, some are clearly stiffer than others. My 2006 adi top is fully broken in, requires no warming up and sounds majestic. Am hoping this’ll get my other adi tops closer to that same feeling and sound.
    See if can get one used - some folk say they hear no difference but I've defo heard a difference on my gloss tops (which I think generally do take longer to open up)
    See if can get one used - some folk say they hear no difference but I've defo heard a difference on my gloss tops (which I think generally do take longer to open up)
    I've found that many guitars just need a few days with them when first bought (new or used), whereas others need "waking up" sometimes