Converting a Lemon Drop into a Lucy - PICS!

What's Hot

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677

OK many thanks. Lacquer arriving tomorrow. Although I am tempted to do another light wash of red.... not sure.

There's an element of chance really as I'm on familiar with how the clear red lacquer will affect things. I guess it will even out the colours and make everything redder!

This is the stuff I'll be working with http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/shop/clear-red-gloss/ - the swatch tells one story and the SG bass tells another, but either way, it seems quite transparent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Here it is with the red nitro applied - about 6 coats, sanded back slightly with 1500 grit.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/p1eces/Mobile%20Uploads/20140220_220930.jpg

This photo was taken on my phone indoors with flash, but the colour is broadly howit looks in the flesh - always hard to represent these things accurately/

I have gloss tinted clear coat to put on next, but I'm not sure if it might take the colour away from what I'm after. I have some none tinted clear coat from an old project, but it's matte. I might give Manchester Guitar Tech a bell tomorrow and ask for advice.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    If you put too much tinted clear on you're obviously at risk of losing the nice variation of colour you've already achieved (well done on that).
    I've simply t cutted single pack matt lacquers to a gloss finish in the past, but I wouldn't recommend it without doing a trial on something else first.
    The safe bet would be to get some fresh non tinted clear coat.
    Good luck, it's going great.
    edited February 2014

Getting some clear gloss would be ideal, but I'm really skint at the mo, and it ain't cheap.

I've scraped the binding and put down 2 coats of tinted clear lacquer today.

The colour actually appears brighter under the sheen of the tinted clear coat.

I'm keeping an eye on the freshly scraped white binding and the tinted lacquer does not seem to have darkened that at all yet, so it must have a very low loading of dye.

So far so good.....

• That's looking really good, Danny. Fascinating thread!

Today with 4 coats of the tinted clear lacquer - it's looking brighter than ever, strangely.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/p1eces/Mobile%20Uploads/20140222_123242.jpg

I've sorted the smudge on the horn now BTW ;)

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Looking really good. I was concerned when you'd stripped the top that the diagonal join and different coloured wood was going to be a real problem but you've done an excellent job. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. :D
    I'm looking forward to finishing it too! I'm just going to have to leave the top alone for a week or 2 before wet sanding and buffing.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited February 2014
    As you've only got a thin coat of lacquer, I wouldn't risk sanding. You are likely to go through the finish.
  • @DannyP that sir is a beautiful transformation. I seriously lack any DIY skills at all so I am gobsmacked at what you've achieved so far. Nice work, great thread
    How very rock and roll
    GuitarMonkey;170572" said:
    As you've only got a thin coat of lacquer, I wouldn't risk sanding. You are likely to go through the finish.
    There are at least 12 coats on now, and I'm only talking about like 4000 grit or something to get rid of the orange peel texture prior to buffing.
  • DannyP said:
    GuitarMonkey;170572" said:
    There are at least 12 coats on now, and I'm only talking about like 4000 grit or something to get rid of the orange peel texture prior to buffing.
    Ah, right you are. You seem to know what you are doing!

Soooo....

Nothing to do for a bit.

Just got to wait another week for the lacquer to be 100% dry.

Just sit back. Relax.

No need to tinker with it.

.....although that headstock shape is a bit naff. The wavy bit at the top is not very accurate. Hmmmmm......

I know! I'll attack it with a jigsaw!

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt192/p1eces/Mobile%20Uploads/20140227_134942.jpg

Ooh, no. That doesn't look right.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Effing hell, I am in awe of you crafty people who have the skills for this kind of stuff - that headstock looks great now!

• Effing hell, I am in awe of you crafty people who have the skills for this kind of stuff - that headstock looks great now!
    yeh, but those rubber bands and pencils are going to be a health and safety hazard playing it live...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16677
    are you planning on veneering the headstock.   it won't be needed structurally but it will save the join line reappearing later on.
  • FAAAAKKKEEE!!! :p

Looking good though :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires