Freddie > BB > Albert : who was King of the Kings?

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Kaki

No really it's BB
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Freddie.
    All of them are brilliant though.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044

I'm having at least one shirt made like that :)

R.
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    I love Freddie but the king is BB, cause he is staying alive more time and his career is long, he does more for the blues than the others ones.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Love them all. Really depends on the mood i'm in
  • T Bone Walker. Pretty much the common link between the three.
    ^ Very this.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    Would be BB for me, but I'm biased as "Live at Cook County Jail" was one of the first blues albums I bought. Plus - style points, I mean come on:

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    T Bone Walker. Pretty much the common link between the three.
    ^ Very this.
    T Bone was from an era of short lived singles so if you pick up a compilation very soon you start thinking it's very samey. He's also the end of an era when being a blues singer was about looking sharp and conspicuous consumption, dancing on a Saturday night and pithy comments on social trends. The era of dungarees and home spun 'authenticity' to sell to white folks was yet to come. Horn driven songs about Bobby Soxers probably don't hold much currency with 21st century guitarists but T Bone had been listening to acoustic blues, to Django, to Charlie Christian and then the three Kings ( and Chuck Berry and many others) all wanted to be like him. Even Hendrix stole some of his showmanship. 
    For anyone with an interest in electric blues he was ground zero; all the others just took it somewhere else. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Added bonus point for BB playing an ES-5. Cool. You're right about T-Bone - I love his stuff, but yes, samey.  T-Bone's most obvious influence from his 'era' onwards was, to my ears and eyes, Chuck Berry. You can hear the notes in Chuck Berry's playing and see the T-Bone showmanship in his performances.  It's interesting to see some of BB's earlier guitars, pre-Lucille. I've seen him with an ES-125 as well. as many others.
    Call me Dave.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    stuagu said:
    I'd cop out and say the one I'm listening to at the time.
    Yes, the same goes for me, all three of them are masters of their art.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    edited March 2020
    Freddie for me, he changed music for me.

Dare anyone mention Earl King? 
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    I saw all three, Freddie and BB two or three times.  Freddie was powerful, charismatic, and completely spellbinding as singer and player; BB polished, great finesse, and probably the best tone and vocals overall; Albert super-danceable, highly individual, and the best crossover R&B/blues/soul sound of all time.  All models for anyone of us who ever picked up a guitar
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'd like to nominate Mark, he's a fantastic bassist.

If not, then it's Albert for me.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    edited March 2020
    BB for me. 

He just sounded more unique.  A lot of the white blues guys in the 60s cited BB as an influence but you heard a lot more of the other Kings in their playing.  They favoured a minor-pentatonic heavy style that let them let rip without having to worry too much about where they were in the progression.  BB was much more likely to play notes that only worked at certain points in the progression.  It wasn't sophisticated compared to the jazz guys, but it was a little harder than getting the minor pentatonic boxes under your fingers and going for it.  Every local bar band had their guy who could do a reasonable Eric (and by extension Freddie) but guys who could do a decent BB were rare.

(Before someone corrects me I'm not saying Clapton and the other Kings weren't familiar with that more chord-specific vocabulary, but they used it less frequently and you could sound pretty like them without being very comfortable with it yourself.  To sound like BB, you HAD to be on top of this stuff).
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349
    If I was held at gun point and made to answer (after discussing why someone thought my option mattered enough to hold me at gunpoint) I’d say BB for me...with Freddie a close second...Albert third but there’s a hair breadth in it. BB covers the jump stuff which I love if you go back all the way to more modern styles (approximate split between the two at the live at the regal album). But I love all three. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    BB

Because he arguably invented sideways finger vibrato, and thus had more influence on every blues, rock and almost every other genre of guitarist since. OK, someone else would have done it sooner or later, but he was the first...

No-one's mentioned Ed yet either :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    I think BB for me for a choice of one.  Freddie close behind, I like his early stuff the best.  I was looking through old gig tickets recently, I chuck them in a drawer.  Turns out I saw BB 5 times, and loved every one.  Sadly didn't get to see Freddie and only saw Albert when he came on stage with Gary Moore for one song.    
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    Well if the King himself was playing on 'Guitar Man' then it is actually the King. Otherwise I would say BB King
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    Freddie, BB, Albert, Carole, Jonathan.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Ledley.