I need a powerful speaker...

What's Hot
Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125

I've got a 2x12 cab laying about which I intend to load up and get using with my Super Sonic 60 head. At the moment it's only got a G12H30 in, which isn't any good on the power front.

I mainly need the amp for it's cleans, and I'm thinking I want something pretty high powered in the cab. So, grateful for your recommendations.

Trying to avoid V30s as I had a couple of those before and were rather muddy on the clean side of thingss, for this amp at least.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1646

Don't know what the drive units are but Fender's own S-S 60 2x12 cab is only rated at 60watts, so it does not seem that you need power monsters in there?

Budget? The Creambacks seem well  liked at £99 a pop.

Dave.

• Yes, I've read some good things about the creambacks.

Interesting on the Fender cab, this used to come with 2 V30s, so 120watts. Maybe they've changed it.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27504
    edited December 2015
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you like the H30 the H75 creamback is supposed to sound very similar but handles 75 watts.  I've never A/B'd them but I have owned a H75 and it had a nicer high end for clean tones than a V30 does.
  • "Gordon's Alive?!?"

Cheers all, in the absence of Brian Blessed the 75 watt Creamback is a good shout, and 2 even more so.

• The Jensen Neos are very good, relatively neutral and handle 100watts minimum plus they weigh very little. I have 2x10s in a cab and they take a 100 watt Plexi nicely.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4315
    edited December 2015
    Power?  Projection? solid muscle?

EV.

I have an EV and an Emi Red Fang Alnico in an oversize 2x12 and it sounds great. It just gets better the louder it gets. The RF never gets strident like  a Gold, and the EV is just so solid and well, muscular..Clean its very good indeed but hit it with some dirt and wow!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72898
    Two G12H-30s will be fine for a 60W amp, certainly if you're not going to overdrive the power section and probably even if you are, so you really only need one new speaker. A Greenback sounds fantastic mixed with a G12H, but that might be a little light on power handling, so a Creamback G12M-65 would be the obvious choice. Or a Jensen, Weber or something else more American-voiced...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Eminence Texas Heat.  MENTAL speaker.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited December 2015
    I
    guitarfishbay;899837" said:
    If you like the H30 the H75 creamback is supposed to sound very similar but handles 75 watts.  I've never A/B'd them but I have owned a H75 and it had a nicer high end for clean tones than a V30 does.
    Have.

I used to use a v30/g12h mix in my zilla. I swopped the 12 for a 75 creamback to better match power, and I can't tell the difference I the mix.

I still have the g12h30. It's a 16 ohm but available if suitable and relatively close (I'm nottingham).
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited December 2015
    I have 75w Eminence Red Coat Wizard's in my Deville.
    I know fuck all about speakers but i do know about sound or rather what sounds like what and the last time i heard a thump like that was from a JCM800 4 x 12 loaded with Celestion GT75's (If i've got that Celestion model no. wrong, it was whatever came in a JCM Cab in the late 80's).
    Yes obviously the 4 x 12 is going to give a lot of thump, more so than my 2 x 12 deville but i mean i've not heard a 2 x 12 give that same 'Feel' before.
    One of my wishlist items for '16 is to have a Custom made 2 x 12 extension cab made to the correct size for the Deville, with the offset speaker pattern and running another two of these Wizard speakers. I'm hoping that the 'Thump' running four of them will then be on a par with the Marshall and with the 'Hot Rod' designation on the amp, i reckon it will give a JCM a good run for it's money albeit lacking in outright power against the Marshall.

My speakers apparently have Ferrite Magnets. Is that Good ? It's advertised as being aimed at classic 60's / 70's rock and has a small amount of natural 'Grit'. Is that because of the magnet ?
    edited December 2015
    Alnico said:
    My speakers apparently have Ferrite Magnets. Is that Good ? It's advertised as being aimed at classic 60's / 70's rock and has a small amount of natural 'Grit'. Is that because of the magnet ?
    It's the standard ceramic magnet material - although there are a few slightly different types, like there are with Alnicos. Yes, they sound grittier than Alnico or Neodymium generally, and they're the classic type for 70s rock - Celestion Greenbacks, G12H-30s etc use them.

The 'thump' from a Marshall 4x12" is more down to the cabinet than the speakers. G12T-75s are not especially thumpy speakers, they have quite a hollow midrange and looser bass than most other Celestion 12s. If you're going to have an extension cab made, have it closed-back - that will give you the thump, it's not the four speakers themselves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    Another happy Eminence Wizard user here. 75w power handling and very efficient too. Makes a noticeable volume difference over less efficient speakers
  • Yeah, Emi Wizards are great.  I'm a fan of their Tonker as well...great cleans, big in the mids, heavy magnet so no unwanted mush on the bottom end.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    ICBM said:
    Alnico said:
    It's the standard ceramic magnet material - although there are a few slightly different types, like there are with Alnicos. Yes, they sound grittier than Alnico or Neodymium generally, and they're the classic type for 70s rock - Celestion Greenbacks, G12H-30s etc use them.

The 'thump' from a Marshall 4x12" is more down to the cabinet than the speakers. G12T-75s are not especially thumpy speakers, they have quite a hollow midrange and looser bass than most other Celestion 12s. If you're going to have an extension cab made, have it closed-back - that will give you the thump, it's not the four speakers themselves.
    That's a great idea about the cab closed back.
    So with the amp chassis open back at the top and the closed back cab at the bottom, do you think that would give a good mix of both 'Thump' from the bottom cab and 'Openness' from the amp on top or would one be uncomplimentary to the other?
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I wanted to make the Brian Blessed joke! :(
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:
    So with the amp chassis open back at the top and the closed back cab at the bottom, do you think that would give a good mix of both 'Thump' from the bottom cab and 'Openness' from the amp on top or would one be uncomplimentary to the other?
    It works well, you get the best of both worlds.

That sounds brilliant.
    I'm genuinely excited about this. Thanks for the help Man.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31047
    Donald Trump is a great speaker and is available but not if the engagment is on the UK Mainland.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• How about some Fanes? They have a new range out at the moment, 70 & 90 watt ceramic and 60 and 90 watt alnicos. Not much info around yet.