I need a powerful speaker...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31021
    If you truly want the daddy, EV12L.

Weighs as much as Tyson Fury's ego though.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    EV Force 12 is a very good alternative to an EVM12L. Half the price and not nearly as heavy.

WGS speakers also have better power handling that the celestion equivalents. They're very good too. And you'll save a few pounds no doubt.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72829
    matt1973 said:
    WGS speakers also have better power handling that the celestion equivalents.
    Be careful with assuming that. So do Eminences, according to the specs… except that in practice, they don't.

Celestion ratings are very conservative compared to most other makers - enough that you can assume that a Celestion will take a cranked amp of the same rating as the speaker. Most other brands will not do that, and normally you need a margin of 50% to 100% above the rating of the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Re WGS, I tried a couple and was totally undewhelmed by them - didn't get them at all.

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    edited December 2015
    Gassage said:
    Re WGS, I tried a couple and was totally undewhelmed by them - didn't get them at all.

Surprising. I am really quite impressed with mine; an ET-65 & an Invader. Sound pretty sweet and certainly great value.
    @matt1973

as they say, YMMV.

I have heard good things, but not the speaker for me- I found it spongey and too warm.

• What about a Jensen Tornado? Looks good on paper and neodymium too (helps tha back!). Anybody got experience with one of these?
  • ...and cheers for all the helpful info so far!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9781
    When I saw the thread title my first thought was to recommend Brian Blessed.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it