Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Princeton but a bit louder

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1636
Simple question, is there a version of the Princeton out there that is 20 watts or above. Basically a Princeton that is
gigable.

It's that lovely break up and clean that make me love it.

Just to say I am not as well healed as some around these parts so I am not looking at spending a fortune.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Can you mic it up? I'm gassing for a 68 Princeton in the new year so I'm interested to see how this thread goes! :)

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1636
    I do love the 68, I had a good go on one recently but I just don't think I will get away with it in my band. It sounds wonderful but it isn't loud enough.

What I want it for is that clean but just breaking up tone. The problem is that the amp isn't really very loud at that point.
  • The obvious answer is a Deluxe Reverb - 22 watts, bigger speaker, bigger cab but still very portable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2015
    The obvious answer is a Deluxe Reverb - 22 watts, bigger speaker, bigger cab but still very portable.

I played one today also but I didn't think that it sounded like the Princeton. It didn't have that lovely break up. It was not as warm either. I liked it but i didn't like it nearly as much as the 68
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1623
    Carr Sportsman is a 19w Princeton-type. Pricey though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    JohnPerry said:
    Carr Sportsman is a 19w Princeton-type. Pricey though

I had a look at those but I don't think my budget would stretch to one of those. They look lovely though
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    You do have to crank up a Deluxe Reverb. It's a loud 22 watts.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3189
    tFB Trader
    My stock Princeton is 18w and I also do a 35w version....that one is ruddy loud though.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• BGGBGG Frets: 694
    Sassafras said:
    You do have to crank up a Deluxe Reverb. It's a loud 22 watts.
    Yip !! VERY loud IMO, get it to 5-6 upwards and you'll get that break up.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31768
    I have a 68 Custom Princeton. It's loud enough for a lot of gigs on its own but when it isn't I stick a 30 quid Superlux mic in front of it and bung it through a cheap monitor.

The whole rig is obviously slightly less portable but means I basically have a fantastic sounding 150w Princeton.

No need to compromise, buy the amp you like best and make it louder.
  • Headstrong Lil King. Pretty much designed to be a louder Princeton, used live by Richard Thompson who records with a Princeton.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72825
    Get an extension cab with a 100dB 12" speaker. That will make as much difference to the volume as at least doubling the power of the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    ^ This. Or swap the stock speaker for a massively efficient Ragin Cajun or similar.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11487
    ICBM said:
    Get an extension cab with a 100dB 12" speaker. That will make as much difference to the volume as at least doubling the power of the amp.
    Isn't the 10" speaker part of the Princeton sound though?  A 10" does sound different to a 12" to me.

The ideal would probably be something with a Princeton preamp, and a 4 x 6V6 power amp with a 2 x 10" cab.  You might find a UK builder who would do that for you.  Riftamps posted above, and MJW amps are on here as well.

The other option would be something with 6L6s and 2 x 10" like a Vibrolux Reverb.  The only problem is that the 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb has Celestion Speakers in it - ideally you would want a vintage style Jensen.  Fender do one with 2 x 10" Alnico Jensens but it's more money though:
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitars/guitar-amps/12734-fender-custom-vibrolux-reverb/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base&gclid=Cj0KEQiA496zBRDoi5OY3p2xmaUBEiQArLNnK99XsypQhgClYi1eNwx9SgEKt8lr2YaoMxloxIwZVhwaAtNN8P8HAQ
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    ICBM said:
    This. 

You can just use the amp on it's own, or take the cab too if you need it. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72825
    crunchman said:
    Isn't the 10" speaker part of the Princeton sound though?  A 10" does sound different to a 12" to me.
    To a point - but you can get efficient 12"s that sound more like 10s too - not everything has to be a V30 :). If you run both together you still have the sound of the 10 in the amp on top, anyway.

The important part of the Princeton sound and why it sounds so different to the Deluxe Reverb is actually the phase inverter in the power amp - it's a cathodyne rather than long-tailed-pair type. That gives it quite a different breakup characteristic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11487

ICBM said:
    crunchman said:
    To a point - but you can get efficient 12"s that sound more like 10s too - not everything has to be a V30 :). If you run both together you still have the sound of the 10 in the amp on top, anyway.

The important part of the Princeton sound and why it sounds so different to the Deluxe Reverb is actually the phase inverter in the power amp - it's a cathodyne rather than long-tailed-pair type. That gives it quite a different breakup characteristic.
    I didn't know that about the phase inverter.  There is something I like about 10" speakers though.  The Deville in the 4 x 10 configuration is a great amp as well - though not very portable.

If you are going to for the extension cab with a 12" speaker I'd love to hear it with a Celestion Blue.
  • simonk said:
    ^ This. Or swap the stock speaker for a massively efficient Ragin Cajun or similar.
    I want to do this to my Princeton.....soon as I can find a used one   :)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6402
    simonk said:
    They aren't THAT expensive new, why bother :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31768
    BluesyDave;906236" said:
    simonk said:

I put a new one in mine and it's the main reason I can usually gig unmiked. It's not dissimilar in overall tone to the stock Celestion in the 68, but it hangs together much better at volume and is seriously loud.