One of the hardest solos I've ever tried to learn

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Bucket said:
    From 2:00 to 2:35... this ain't your granddad's 12-bar blues solo...

I'm probably 75% of the way there with it - it's super fucking weird. Very fast, some fairly hand-twisting positions and a HELL of a lot of moving around - he darts up and down the neck like a man possessed, it's unbelievable. It's a Ginger Wildheart track but the solo was done by Olga from the Toy Dolls - a fabulous, really interesting, really underrated player.

What I want to know is, how the hell does he come up with this stuff? I've never heard anyone who plays like him, and I can't think of anyone else who would play over a 12-bar blues in this way - his style truly is unique. I can't even get my head around the thought process that would lead you to do this over this progression, but it's fantastic - he's so totally free of "stock licks" and cliches.

The reason it's so hard, I guess, is just because of how alien it is.

I'll put up a video when I'm done, but I may be a while yet...

Reminds me at times of Francis Rossi fucking about during one of quo 'so jams.
    But if that's the hardest solo you've tried, (which is not easy and I couldn't do it) try some Brad Paisley solos like his cover of shap dressed man! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket said:
    Update:

When you listen to it, you can hear the Celtic reels coming into it, so Bagpipes is not that far off in terms of reference, very typical of fiddle playing in some respects, which is what Rossi was doing in Quo ( crack handed though) 40 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom