Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

We should ditch the parody section

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
It's been said before, but it is utterly useless to drop parody stuff away from the thing it is taking the piss out of. I'd say the section should go. Actually, I think that it needs to be rebranded. Instead of parody, why not have it as a comedy/funny area. It would be bound to get more traffic. Good idea, bad idea?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just get rid of it, it is pointless. A lot of the Discussions in there started elsewhere and got moved in by the mods so it doesn't voluntarily even get a lot of use.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12462
    Agreed. Waste of time, makes no sense when split from the original thread.
  • axisus said:
    Instead of parody, why not have it as a comedy/funny area. It would be bound to get more traffic. Good idea, bad idea?
    We should have a Zen zone instead. Somewhere for people to embrace their inner spirit and to allow their soul to spill out and to connect them with the people and the environment around them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Agreed. Waste of time, makes no sense when split from the original thread.
    It's not supposed to make sense. It's a dumping ground for all the bullshit threads people create to take the piss, so we can get them away from actual discussions of (vague) value.

In other words...if you lot didn't create tons of useless, pointless parody threads, we wouldn't need a dustbin to put them in.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom

• In other words...if you lot didn't create tons of useless, pointless parody threads, we wouldn't need a dustbin to put them in.
    Thus encapsulating the main difference between The FB and Mumsnet  =))

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    axisus said:
    It's been said before, but it is utterly useless to drop parody stuff away from the thing it is taking the piss out of. I'd say the section should go. Actually, I think that it needs to be rebranded. Instead of parody, why not have it as a comedy/funny area. It would be bound to get more traffic. Good idea, bad idea?

I thought Off-Topic WAS the comedy/funny area.

There's a parody section too? Well, I never did.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7614
    I suspect it was because at the same time we were trying to get a community built, parody threads were rampant - you could go in to a section na half of it would be stupid play on words. not the kind of thing that attracts new users.
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    I suspect it was because at the same time we were trying to get a community built, parody threads were rampant - you could go in to a section na half of it would be stupid play on words. not the kind of thing that attracts new users.
    I think the defining moment was when one of us went into Recent Discussions and half the page was full of silly word-play threads with one or two replies.
    <space for hire>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I've only ever clicked on the parody section the one time. Never been back there.
    And I like a joke as much as the next man as long as the next man is a humourless bastard.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31760
    TimmyO said:
    I think the defining moment was when one of us went into Recent Discussions and half the page was full of silly word-play threads with one or two replies.
    Exactly, it got very tedious and extremely cliquey-looking to outsiders. We need the parody section just so we can avoid that stuff.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    We should have a section for discussing dumping the parody section
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12031
    axisus said:
    where would the parody threads go? Since they are not usually very funny
    ;-) 
  • Sibelius said:
    No discussion required. It's staying, and the single question for whether something goes in there is "Do the modmins think it's funny?". If the answer's negative, it's consigned to the dump.

Simples :)
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27793
    and the single question for whether something goes in there is "Do the modmins think it's funny?"
    Being a miserable old git, I don't care whether it's funny or not.

Parody threads go into the parody section.  Even simples-er.

;)

(Actually, some of them were/are funny, but they were over-done to the extent that they took over the "recent discussions" view of threads and made the forum - and its inhabitants - look daft.  So, they now get removed).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Wouldn't it be simpler to just delete the bullshit ones and leave the funny one with replies in OT? 

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27793
    hobbio said:
    Wouldn't it be simpler to just delete the bullshit ones and leave the funny one with replies in OT? 
    Not really.

1.  Who decides "funny".
    2.  Moving them to OT still moves them away from "the thing it is taking the piss out of" (to quote the OP).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    My vote is to Parody the Ditch Section.

• SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401
    Sibelius said:
    No discussion required. It's staying, and the single question for whether something goes in there is "Do the modmins think it's funny?". If the answer's negative, it's consigned to the dump.

Simples :)
    I was being sarky!
     I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    TTony said:
    hobbio said:
    Not really.

1.  Who decides "funny".
    2.  Moving them to OT still moves them away from "the thing it is taking the piss out of" (to quote the OP).
    Fair enough!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Haha "Star Wars Legato" has flown under the radar!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ