Happy Dumble Day

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
This put a bloody big smile on my face  :)

And that old SG Junior at the end, wow !

"A grown up's overdrive" ~ that's them saying it folks...

Duration 52:48

Warning: this could get expensive ~ don't say I didn't warn you   !

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    Love that growl at 0.24! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited January 2016
    The Big Bloom is a bit middy because deep down, it is a tube screamer with some really random components thrown at it. No idea on the others as it was the only one I was arsed to build.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6217
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:
    The Big Bloom is a bit middy because deep down, it is a tube screamer with some really random components thrown at it.

Absolutely this.... I found it to be quite brittle, plenty of people love it though
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Had a buzziness on the decay I just didn't like. Managed to tone it down a lot, but it was still there.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Wish they'd included a Zendrive in the comparison. I think of the one's they try, I'd go for the Dude - it seems more focused sounding than the Simble and the Dumkudo. Agree with the comments re the Big Bloom - a bit "lardy" sounding somehow. I liked the Ethos, but it's just to big to use on a board for me.
  • Man that is one LONG video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    I really liked the sound of the Royal Overdrive - but tbh even through good headphones there were times I thought I heard obvious differences but they were saying in the room they were really close, and vice versa, so I'm not too sure how much to trust the video's sound.

Agree that the Ethos seemed really quiet in terms of noise, but sounded strangled to me most of the time the way they had it set.

Sound: Royal Overdrive
    Convenience: Dude
    Red ones are better. 
    Megii said:
    Wish they'd included a Zendrive in the comparison.
    With you on that. Surprised it wasn't there as it's recommended so often for people chasing that sound.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Happy Dumbledore

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    I really enjoyed this video as it is something I have always wondered about, how alike to that "dumble" sound can you get without owning one. Turns out those pedals nail it.

On a side note I absolutely love this channel, they do such a great job of demoing pedals and guitars.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24846
    edited January 2016
    Got to the point when they were demoing the Fuchs and had to turn off.

I've played through one of those - it's a toss up as to whether that or a Samson era Matchless DC30 is the best amp I've ever used. Those two managed to make it sound very ordinary....
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    All sounded pretty average to me, although I liked the feedback they were getting. I'm not a fan of that thick, midrange-heavy tone though.

I think these demos show that, for the player, top end kit is worth it for the experience of playing through it, but when recorded, the listener won't really care or appreciate the difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    mellowsun;918032" said:
    All sounded pretty average to me, although I liked the feedback they were getting. I'm not a fan of that thick, midrange-heavy tone though.

I think these demos show that, for the player, top end kit is worth it for the experience of playing through it, but when recorded, the listener won't really care or appreciate the difference.
    This with spades on.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    Pretty sure that the Dumkudo has been outed as being a Zen Drive clone?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    If it is it's almost a Tubescreamer too then
    Red ones are better. 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I do have a Big Knob Zed Drive, which is a Zendrive clone, and I like it a lot, but I'm still tempted to order one of these (almost certainly another Zen clone) - as it would allow me to fit one more drive pedal on my board. About the cheapest of the so-called "Dumble" type pedals I've seen - just adding out of interest. :D
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Mick Taylor Plays Through A Rare Dumble OD Special Amplifier

Duration 15:23

(just for you @thomasross20 ~ a shorter video !  ;) )

• Right, I'll have to check this out later tonight when I'm back seeing as you went to that effort!
  • Very classy design for both the amp and footswitch! :D
  • Anyone else remember the chap who makes the big bloom (amplified nation) saying he'd make enough to cover the cost of the original pedal he cloned (a Japanese one of some kind) and that it wouldn't become a part of his product line as it was a 1:1 clone? 

Class act.