Looks like the PRS CE is coming back for 2016

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    The US hardware is actually made in Japan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited January 2016
    DefaultM;919281" said:
    [quote="Richardj;919198"]Is the Korean hardware really that much worse than the US stuff? The general quality of my SE245 is fantastic, way better than any Gibson I've had.
    No idea, but you can get a used original CE for £750 and then swap the pickups, so I don't know why you'd buy one of these for what I'm sure will be able £1500.[/quote]

It is getting harder to do that unless you catch a private auction on eBay. The S2 line is closer to £1k and I've been seeing shops listing CEs about the same.

http://www.soundaffectspremier.com/guitars-c93/pre-owned-guitars-c98/ce-22-maple-top-in-sunburst-original-1994-model-p3373

https://www.fairdealmusic.co.uk/prs-ce24-indigo-blue-with-hard-case-second-hand.html?gclid=COq8_pvYi8oCFSUewwodzEQAtA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    That's crazy. I got the blazing copper 2006 model for £600 2 years ago. I'd have been disappointed if I spent £1100 on it.
    I hated the tone and couldn't be bothered changing the pickups so I swapped it with @fretmeister, and I believe the first thing he did was swap the pickups.
    edited January 2016
    I've also had the flame top model up for sale at £1000 with bareknuckle pickups and SS frets and I've had no interest, so I've no idea how they sold the stock model for £1100.

Edit: actually that's not true, I did have some interest on ebay in the form of an offer for £700.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    DefaultM said:
    That's crazy. I got the blazing copper 2006 model for £600 2 years ago. I'd have been disappointed if I spent £1100 on it.
    I hated the tone and couldn't be bothered changing the pickups so I swapped it with @fretmeister, and I believe the first thing he did was swap the pickups.
    I liked the neck pickup but not the bridge. I put a SD Custom in the bridge, that was much better.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Looks like they've pulled the page linking the guitars
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    NAMM Launch?
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    The copper ones were sex on a stick
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    Yeah I've always wanted the blazing copper ones
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    The PRS range is mind boggling. There's about 70 electric guitars on their website.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    But fender have what 600?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Sound affects have stock showing at £1800 ish. Seems a little high considering the maple cap is thinner, scarf joint neck and I'm told the trem is the SE model. Comes with gig bag. The thinner maple cap may be a bonus if you wanted the tonal qualities it provides and the scarf ain't so bad but to still call it a core model seems like a way of charging significantly more than the S2's when the spec says otherwise.

After reading more about them is still opt for an S2 custom satin.
  • Hmm!

I would've thought these would sit best in the S2 line.  I wonder if 2017 will have the introduction of the CE S2 then, if the core model sells well.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    guitarfishbay;924809" said:
    Hmm!

I would've thought these would sit best in the S2 line.  I wonder if 2017 will have the introduction of the CE S2 then, if the core model sells well.
    They can't do much more to S2-ify it... Korean pickups and a bevel instead of a carve I guess, but otherwise it's kind of already there.
    Watched the Andertons video and I didn't like how it sounded at all. The distorted tone made my teeth itch.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    DefaultM;924971" said:
    Watched the Andertons video and I didn't like how it sounded at all. The distorted tone made my teeth itch.
    Watch other demos. The one with Simon Mcbride sounds phenomenal.
    Sound Affects did a much better one with Tom Quayle. The Anderton's video does no favours to the guitar...
  • HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Question is are these here to use up the stock of top wood that's not up to the custom standard but too good for the S2's?
    S2s are meant to use 'CE' grade wood - in theory it should come from the same pile.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited January 2016
    Halikus;925358" said:
    Question is are these here to use up the stock of top wood that's not up to the custom standard but too good for the S2's?
    The top is carved differently from a Custom - it's explained in the Sound Affects video - basically the top is thinner, so it uses less maple. The example in the video looks very nicely figured.