Training a puppy is hard work, eh?

What's Hot

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    randomhandclaps;920983" said:
    Our pup's training is coming along grand.  He knows his priorities - http://i67.tinypic.com/2r2vsxk.jpg

Mine also chooses to sleep in front of the rack, "protecting the precious" as the wife sais..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    OP, is this your first pooch?
    I recommend watching Cesare Milan the dog whisperer, thats a guy who knows his onions, and dogs!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Axe_meister;920860" said:
    Well you're a couple of weeks behind me.
    Ours sleeps through the night fine.
    She was doing well with the puppy mats but now shreds them and pees anywhere else but on the mats.
    Recall is working very well which is surprising given she is a beagle.
    The only real issue we have is she bullies the older dog.
    Mine went through the exact same thing with the puppy pads, ending up buying a holder for the pads so there's no edge to grab and rip up.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    edited January 2016

Our pup's training is coming along grand.  He knows his priorities -

http://i67.tinypic.com/2r2vsxk.jpg

Not sure id trust ANY dog enough to let them near my gear. You have some very brightly coloured, large, tasty looking 'sticks' there, and all at a very nice chewing height. Dogs love a stick...
    :D

**Lovely looking pooch, by the way**

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16316
    Sambostar;920672" said:
    Stay in the crate..get reward.  go back to the crate....eventually get reward if you stay well behaved in the crate...All sounds so drastically familiar.
    Memories of your time in Nam? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • It's probably going to be 6 months of hard work then after that it should be all gravy.
  • Nikko said:

Our pup's training is coming along grand.  He knows his priorities -

http://i67.tinypic.com/2r2vsxk.jpg

Not sure id trust ANY dog enough to let them near my gear. You have some very brightly coloured, large, tasty looking 'sticks' there, and all at a very nice chewing height. Dogs love a stick...
    :D

**Lovely looking pooch, by the way**

It's OK as he's not big enough to reach the bone nuts yet.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's fine. Dogs can't look up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    edited January 2016
    Drew_fx said:
    It's fine. Dogs can't look up.
    No, but im pretty sure they could be trained to use a continuum transfunctioner.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1483
    Sarge said:
    I recommend watching Cesare Milan the dog whisperer, thats a guy who knows his onions, and dogs!
    It is as a 'couple' but both of us have had dogs in the past and the wife helped train her family dog when she was younger. Plus we've read everything the internet has to offer (including Cesar's website!) 

It's the whining that gets me, I know it's natural and every puppy goes through it (for the most part) but I find it utterly heartbreaking! 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    Enjoy it.
    I am at the other end of it- Scarlett is nearly 10 and massively slowing down.
    It is sad to see but she has moments of puppyness from time to time.
    I dread the inevitable but trying to enjoy her while she is with us.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited January 2016
    Don't want to be a misery, but peanuts are potentially poisonous to dogs, might want to be a little careful there.

Our Dogue de Bordeaux seemed to take an eternity to train to tell us she wanted to go out, but once sorted she was as good as gold.

Totally spoiled by our Newfoundland as he pretty much sorted himself out within three to four months.  We have used large crates/cages for all of our dogs and it has worked well as they have their own safe zone to rest etc.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    Richardj said:
    Don't want to be a misery, but peanuts are potentially poisonous to dogs, might want to be a little careful there.

Our Dogue de Bordeaux seemed to take an eternity to train to tell us she wanted to go out, but once sorted she was as good as gold.

Totally spoiled by our Newfoundland as he pretty much sorted himself out within three to four months.  We have used large crates/cages for all of our dogs and it has worked well as they have their own safe zone to rest etc.
    Now you have to provide pics.
    I love the big dogs- they are amazing.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28971
    edited January 2016
    We're collecting an Old English Sheepdog puppy this weekend. Meet Sprocket. She has one blue eye so that you know she's evil, and a mushroom cloud shaped patch on her back so you know what sort of evil she will infllict.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5633/23924880072_ec1a1386c0_z.jpg
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    octatonic said:
    Richardj said:

This is Dotty, we got her through Battersea Dogs Home as an eight week old puppy with the potential for a lot of poor breeding problems in the future. We got her through and sorted a lot of things before losing her when she was only eight.
    This is Bear, or Mr Boo, or more often Boo Boo, with one of my friends children. He's now nearly five and in all honesty you couldn't want a better family dog. Loyal, guarding, doesn't steal. Best thing about Newfoundlands is that they don't suffer from the usual big dog joint issues (as long as you look after them properly as they are growing up) so we have a sixty plus kilo dog who can walk for hours, run, jump and be happy and healthy.  A bit slobbery, but there is a price for everything!

Do be aware that every one you have and lose will leave a hole in your heart that never really mends.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Sarge said:
    This is the complete opposite of what you should do.  Cesar Millan uses outdated and flawed techniques that can seriously make things much, much worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1483
    Rox said:
    Sarge said:
    This is the complete opposite of what you should do.  Cesar Millan uses outdated and flawed techniques that can seriously make things much, much worse.
    good to know! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16316
    Richardj said:
    octatonic said:
    Richardj said:

This is Dotty, we got her through Battersea Dogs Home as an eight week old puppy with the potential for a lot of poor breeding problems in the future. We got her through and sorted a lot of things before losing her when she was only eight.
    This is Bear, or Mr Boo, or more often Boo Boo, with one of my friends children. He's now nearly five and in all honesty you couldn't want a better family dog. Loyal, guarding, doesn't steal. Best thing about Newfoundlands is that they don't suffer from the usual big dog joint issues (as long as you look after them properly as they are growing up) so we have a sixty plus kilo dog who can walk for hours, run, jump and be happy and healthy.  A bit slobbery, but there is a price for everything!

Do be aware that every one you have and lose will leave a hole in your heart that never really mends.
    When I was at high school our PE teacher had two Newfoundlands that he brought to work ( God knows why that was allowed but there you go). If anyone brought a note in saying they couldn't do PE they used to walk his dogs around the playing field. Incredibly well behaved and tolerant ( the dogs not our PE teacher, despite his dogs he was the archetypal PE sadist as I remember him). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Rox;921638" said:
    Sarge said:

Sorry, I'm not up to date with the latest hipster training trends, whats the fashion today?
  • Sarge said:
    Rox;921638" said:
    Sarge said:

Sorry, I'm not up to date with the latest hipster training trends, whats the fashion today?
    http://1huf4c2navwc2gbyiv1egkwl.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/http-www.dogster.comfilesdigby-van-winkle-hipster.jpg
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom