Magical pedals that do f#ck all.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30947
edited January 2016 in FX
I have, after totally regreting flogging the first one, found another TC1210 Chorus/Flanger/SpatialExp for sale.

This unit is incredible, as those that's used it know.

Yet, it does fuck all, the modulation effect is almost inaudible but it just like polishes and makes everything (esp cleans) sound gorgeous, especially in Spatial mode. It's reminds me cooking with truffles- less is more.

And, I reckon there's a few DFA pedals that do fuck all yet do so much....

- The Cornish ST2 EQ pedal
- Fire Bottle
- Any tube buffer pedal
- EP Booster
- a buffered output splitter
- the output stage of an Echoplex
- ditto the SIB echodrive

How may more? Like the tone change is minimal but the sound is so much bettter?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28698
    Not quite the same thing, but didn't Boss have an enhancer pedal? EH-2 or sommat?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    Sporky said:
    Not quite the same thing, but didn't Boss have an enhancer pedal? EH-2 or sommat?
    A lot of love for it too- esp bass players

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/boss/eh-2_enhancer

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Yeah I regret selling my EH 2, I have to wonder about subtle improvements, as soon as you add a drummer. After all a Ds1 can sound ear splitting, add a drummer and the guitar utterly disappears from the mix.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Using a zvex super hard on always on has good tonal sweetening advantages....could be known as the permanent hard on, which sounds like erectial disfunction
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Using a zvex super hard on always on has good tonal sweetening advantages....could be known as the permanent hard on, which sounds like erectial disfunction

Allan Sparhawk is the greatest example of that to my mind. The sound, not the erection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947

• When playing bass, my DIY clone of the Catalinbread SFT is always on. Most if the time, it's not overdriving, but if definitely adds a certain something.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Sporky;925786" said:
    IIRC Dod did something similar in the early - mid '80s. A friend who owned a guitar shop left me to try one for about 10 minutes and then asked, "What do you think of the King's New Clothes pedal?"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    BBE Sonic Stomp, just makes the amp that bit richer sounding.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Klon KTR. Sounds best when basically doing f' all. Just makes everything sound better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited January 2016

Thorpy Gunshot, with the gain turned right down, into a clean Marshall, made the cleans cleaner and shinier (for want of a better description) almost like a clean boost.

Edit, not when the gain gets turned up, that's a different creation, just when the gain is minimal, and not how anyone would expect me to use an OD pedal.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Roland SDE 3000. Preamp = wow!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9610
    Two come to mind for me...

Korg SDD3000

Chase Bliss Gravitas - even with no modulation, it added a warm or something. I sold mine, but may yet get another one

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    Boss TU-2.

:)

Only slightly kidding, the buffer does make things sound better.

I never liked the EH-2, I thought it was the exact opposite - it just made everything sound thin even when you could barely tell it was on.

A tremolo set extremely subtly so you can't easily hear it's doing anything would be my real choice probably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The old Dod Bi-fet pre-amp does something good (probably just makes things louder, but that's good right?)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10723
    Any transparent compressor on cleans
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Two come to mind for me...

Korg SDD3000

Chase Bliss Gravitas - even with no modulation, it added a warm or something. I sold mine, but may yet get another one

Yup, would agree with the Gravistas. It's far from transparent. I like the colour for the tremolo effect, but wouldn't want it as an always on though...
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Red Witch Medusa. Had no use for it but even when not switched on it just added something nice to my dry sound.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
    tFB Trader
    I was watching an Andy Timmons vid where he mentioned that he runs a Carl Martin compressor all the time with the gain on full and the compression on zero.