Magical pedals that do f#ck all.

What's Hot

Comments

• A lot of Devi Ever pedals magically start doing fuck all after a few weeks.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    12reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28971
    The one I tried didn't do much straight off. There were very narrow windows of operation on most of the controls, and it looked like it had been soldered with a candle. Lots of cut and bridged traces on the PCB too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    The one I tried didn't do much straight off. There were very narrow windows of operation on most of the controls, and it looked like it had been soldered with a candle. Lots of cut and bridged traces on the PCB too.
    Are you saying it looked like it had been built by someone with defective eyesight? 

8->

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A lot of Devi Ever pedals magically start doing fuck all after a few weeks.
    But they do improve your sound that way compared to when they were on. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16316
    DesVegas;925864" said:
    BBE Sonic Stomp, just makes the amp that bit richer sounding.
    I remember reading about these, I guess a couple of years ago, and wondering about getting one. Wow, there were a lot on eBay, never seen so many used examples of a pedal. Presumably a lot of people tried them for some magic fairy dust and then passed them on again.
    ICBM;926068" said:
    Boss TU-2.

:)

A tremolo set extremely subtly so you can't easily hear it's doing anything would be my real choice probably.
    The Marshall Vibratrem has a small boost when you switch on which combined with subtle tremolo was a lovely thickener for my strat ;although I know some people hate them for that reason. Another one for my 'why did I sell that' list... :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Are you saying it looked like it had been built by someone with defective eyesight? 
    No; by someone with no understanding of electronics and limited practical skills. Which isn't a problem, everyone goes through a learning process, I was just staggered at the number of sales and degree of hype for such a crude and unreliable pedal. No supply polarity protection, no attempts at lead dress. The volume control was wired backwards and the pedal only worked when it was on full.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A JFET preamp (like the Echoplex Preamp/EP Booster) or optical compressor would be my choice.
  • Sporky said:
    No; by someone with no understanding of electronics and limited practical skills. Which isn't a problem, everyone goes through a learning process, I was just staggered at the number of sales and degree of hype for such a crude and unreliable pedal. No supply polarity protection, no attempts at lead dress. The volume control was wired backwards and the pedal only worked when it was on full.
    I know, it was a dig at Devi's current eyesight fundraiser more than the pedal. I've had plenty of her pedals and thought they were lousy. 

• Sporky said:
    I know, it was a dig at Devi's current eyesight fundraiser more than the pedal. I've had plenty of her pedals and thought they were lousy. 
    I remember watching a demo of one and it seem OK for a bit then it started making this constant, annoying whining noise.  I thought it was a really odd thing to include in a demo then I realised that I had accidently clicked on one of her donation appeals videos.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The old Dod Bi-fet pre-amp does something good (probably just makes things louder, but that's good right?)
    This, mine added a bit of fatness when switched on which works really well with drive pedals - however the tone suck in bypass took it off my board.

I have my DOD FX80B set with minimum compression and it just seems to add something to my Turbo Rat that I really like.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    :D

Sorry; I seem to have sunk your funnyship. :\">
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24748
    The Darkglass Super Symmetry compressor does something even with the compression at zero.

It reminds me a bit of a simple valve preamp adding a bit of sparkle. It's very nice.

I'm going to guess that when the compression is at zero on the dial it is not actually at zero internally.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    A lot of Devi Ever pedals magically start doing fuck all after a few weeks.
    Not strictly true, they rattle like maracas when you shake them.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The old Dod Bi-fet pre-amp does something good (probably just makes things louder, but that's good right?)
    This, mine added a bit of fatness when switched on which works really well with drive pedals - however the tone suck in bypass took it off my board.

I have my DOD FX80B set with minimum compression and it just seems to add something to my Turbo Rat that I really like.
    Mine is actually the original 410 studio version that doesn't have a footswitch so it's on all the time == no bypass problem :o)
  • BodBod Frets: 1332
    Using a zvex super hard on always on has good tonal sweetening advantages....could be known as the permanent hard on, which sounds like erectial disfunction
    Yep. the SHO is my favourite DFA pedal...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    SHO, VHT Valvulator and an Orange Squeezer set to minimal compression. I used to have an Effectrode Firebottle that I lent to a "friend" who promptly left the country with it, so he must've thought it did something as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    edited January 2016
    What's the deal with devi-ever?
    Is he a man who wants to be a woman or is she a woman who wants to be a man 'cos I just can't tell from her/his photos.
  • mike_l;925988" said:
    Thorpy Gunshot, with the gain turned right down, into a clean Marshall, made the cleans cleaner and shinier (for want of a better description) almost like a clean boost.

Edit, not when the gain gets turned up, that's a different creation, just when the gain is minimal, and not how anyone would expect me to use an OD pedal.........
    Who are you and what have you done with @mike_l ??
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l;925988" said:
    Thorpy Gunshot, with the gain turned right down, into a clean Marshall, made the cleans cleaner and shinier (for want of a better description) almost like a clean boost.

Edit, not when the gain gets turned up, that's a different creation, just when the gain is minimal, and not how anyone would expect me to use an OD pedal.........
    Who are you and what have you done with @mike_l ??
    It's ok, just had to try it with the gain down, normal service was resumed very quickly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    What's the deal with devi-ever?
    Is he a man who wants to be a woman or is she a woman who wants to be a man 'cos I just can't tell from her/his photos.
    For the right money Devi would probably be whatever you want!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom