Earbud headphone recommendations needed

What's Hot
I need a new pair of reasonably priced earbud headphones in the £20 - £40 price bracket. I normally go for Sennheisers but they do seem to fall apart fairly rapidly.  I'll be mostly using them with an Android phone if that makes any difference and I will use them while running (don't laugh there at the back!).

recommendations greatfully received :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3401
    I got a pair of Soundmagic E10's about a year ago, and they are absolutely amazing! I was really dubious when I got them but they are brilliant.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The last few pairs I've had were Soundmagic E10s (one earpiece separated along a glue joint after a few months- decided to return to Amazon for a refund, but sound quality was excellent. FWIW, my previous pair of Soundmagic PL-30s lasted considerably longer) and RHA MA350s, which lasted considerably longer but were a little less comfortable to wear and didn't sound quite as good IMO.

I've currently got some Denon C260s which have lasted well (but are starting to look very tatty) but aren't as loud and look considerably cheaper. They sound pretty good though- lots of bass, although not the level of detail the Soundmagics and RHAs had.

FWIW, I always wear in-ears looped over the top of my ears- I find they're more comfortable that way, don't fall out as easily and don't conduct as much cable noise. I couldn't have worn the RHAs any other way (although that's not how they're designed to be worn) because the strain relief sleeves on the cables (which eventually separated from the earpieces anyway) were so long. I can just about get my current Denons to stay in like that, but only if I sit still. They'd fall straight out otherwise. It might just be that I have nonstandard lugholes, but it might be worth knowing. 

I've used Amazon reviews to get a feel for what's good in the past- the sub-£50 headphone market is crowded and competitive. You'll have to use your numpty filters- some bad reviews seem to be down to user error rather than poor headphones. Head-fi.org is quite good for reviews too.

Richer Sounds have Klipsch and Soundmagic sets on their website at the moment for a tenner- both look to be pretty good deals.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @english_bob speaks the truth
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24747
    I've got Soundmagic E30 and I love them

They run the cable over the ear and seem to stay in place better when I'm out.

Had them for a few years and there is no sign of wear or damage. I'd have another pair if they broke.
  • PC_Dave said:
    @english_bob speaks the truth

I've been around this particular block several times in the last few years. My job allows me to listen to music a lot of the time, but doesn't pay me Grado money to do it, so I like to find myself a good pair of earphones for this sort of money and ride 'em til they drop.

• Another Soundmagic e10 user here. Still going strong After two years.
  • Another Soundmagic e10 user here. Still going strong After two years.

I must have had a duff pair then. They sounded great. Can't remember why I didn't get a replacement pair instead of getting the RHAs...

• SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Klipsch Image S4 are worth a look, very good

may fall into that price range, as they are an old model.
  • Thanks for the recommendations chaps. It seems like the e10 s are worth a go and right in the middle of my budget.
    Thanks for the recommendations chaps. It seems like the e10 s are worth a go and right in the middle of my budget.
    Sounds good!

GEDDIT? Sounds good?

Anyway, I think you'll be pleased with them :)
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    Any recommendations for wireless ones for running?
    thomasw88 said:
    Any recommendations for wireless ones for running?
    Yes - don't run. It's really bad for you
    :))

Stay at home a drink beer instead.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3073

I've used Soundmagic E10's for a while.

The sound quality is pretty good and overall the build quality is generally ok. 

However the 3.5mm plug is so "plastic" and cheap.   The buds also fall out of my ears regularly in the gym - something you might consider if you're using them for running.

I'm tempted to try the E30's as the cable looks designed to loop over the ear, which may help with the "falling out" issue.....

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24747
    RobDavies said:

However the 3.5mm plug is so "plastic" and cheap.   The buds also fall out of my ears regularly in the gym - something you might consider if you're using them for running.

I'm tempted to try the E30's as the cable looks designed to loop over the ear, which may help with the "falling out" issue.....

That is exactly why I got the E30

Works well.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4736

Another vote for E10's, no issues with mine.  Not sure how good they are but suffice to say I get gutted if only my Apple ones are to hand.

• RobDavies said:

Some of the more recent pictures I've seen of E10s show metal jackplugs. I wonder if they've upgraded them. How old are yours?

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3073
    edited January 2016
    About a year?
    RobDavies said:

That's odd - the one on mine is metal
  • I missed the bit about running.

I like the e10 a lot but they aren't great for running in tbh.