I'm suddenly liking Squeeze more...

What's Hot
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Difford & Tillbrook are off the invitees list for No 10 then....... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Dave looked a bit clueless about it all

Someone might need to have a quiet word in his ear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9722
    This is Dave, who went to Eton, but chose The Jam's Eton Rifles on Desert Island Discs.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    SRich;929080" said:
    Shame - I've heard it's some fantastic place....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31046
    edited January 2016

SRich;929080" said:
    Shame - I've heard it's some fantastic place....
    It's not far from Piccadilly, but if Cameron is Tempted to un-invite them then Squeeze have been Messed Around and undoubtedly will be Slaughtered Gutted and Heartbroken,

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Apparently they're re-releasing Labelled With Love for Cameron.

They screwed up the pay of the overweight bankers
    He shuffled about his incompetent cabinet...
    Like some kind of bitch, with blue policies in Whitton,
    He smells like a twat and the neighbours he sickens.....

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    edited January 2016
    Maybe their rerelease programme could include a tune for Jeremy Corbyn?

eg: 'Shooting Moderates with Shell'
  • Nation stunned as elderly man 'indicts' government policies while playing ukulele.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Headline: 

Band Tries to Reclaim Relevance by Making Ineffective Protest in Song
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Their new album 'Pig Fucking Tory Whore Filth' is meant to be a killer. Good to see they've still got their chops. Nice way to hog the limelight. Bet Davey boy thought it sucked though.
    Headline: 

I've known Glenn for 15 years. He is the least precious person about his music you could ever hope to meet, and one of the finest voices I have ever heard.

• Gassage said:
    Headline: 

I've known Glenn for 15 years. He is the least precious person about his music you could ever hope to meet, and one of the finest voices I have ever heard.
    Entirely possible, but it's a childish and pointless little bit of publicity-seeking. It will make no difference to anything in the real world, except helping the band hit a few headlines here and there...

If they were serious about making their political views known and actually making a difference, there are far more effective ways to do it...which probably wouldn't result in quite so much of a boost to the band's PR campaign.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72888
    Like most of their output, I wanted to like this but in fact I find it irritatingly smug and overly impressed with their own cleverness.

I bet Cameron wasn't even listening to the words, since he clearly wasn't when he picked Eton Rifles.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    Headline: 

Entirely possible, but it's a childish and pointless little bit of publicity-seeking. It will make no difference to anything in the real world, except helping the band hit a few headlines here and there...

If they were serious about making their political views known and actually making a difference, there are far more effective ways to do it...which probably wouldn't result in quite so much of a boost to the band's PR campaign.

Knowing Glenn it probably entered his head about a nanosecond before he sung it.

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Anything or anyone who make Cameron look even more like a cabbage patch doll then he already does, gets my vote.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9722
    Cameron is fucking clueless. He even applauded them at the end. 

Squeeze are early 80s has-beens, so anybody accusing them of trying to seek publicity or making ineffective protest (it's all over social media, in case you haven't noticed) is way wide of the mark. They wanted to make a point and they did, very effectively. Someone had to make an effort, seeing as Andrew Marr was in arse-licking mode.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited January 2016

Squeeze are early 80s has-beens, so anybody accusing them of trying to seek publicity or making ineffective protest (it's all over social media, in case you haven't noticed) is way wide of the mark. They wanted to make a point and they did, very effectively. Someone had to make an effort, seeing as Andrew Marr was in arse-licking mode.
    Can't believe I'm defending Cameron but he was only being polite applauding a band. I watched the Andrew Marr show and the performance and hadn't noticed the lyrics either, first I heard of it was on the news websites making a fuss about it. As for the band themselves, if they're happy with how it went then good for them, be it publicity or protest (or a bit of both). They won't be the first or last to have a pop at the Conservatives on tv
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • eSully said:

Can't believe I'm defending Cameron but he was only being polite applauding a band. I watched the Andrew Marr show and the performance and hadn't noticed the lyrics either, first I heard of it was on the news websites making a fuss about it. As for the band themselves, if they're happy with how it went then good for them, be it publicity or protest (or a bit of both). They won't be the first or last to have a pop at the Conservatives on tv
    Exactly - what was he supposed to do, storm out? Stand up and turn his back to them?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    "I grew up in council houses, part of what made Britain great".

Yeah right... so did I, and the whole atmosphere nearly drove me to suicide. But yeah... keep injecting your bullshit politics into your music. Fucking hasbeens.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2016

In fairness, Cameron says he knew the Eton Rifle's song was being derogatory about him and his chums, but has said that you don't have to agree with the writers political viewpoints to like the song and I tend to agree with him.  He's right, just because he was posh, why couldn't he like the Jam, he couldn't help being born rich.  If it was the other way around, there would be outrage.

Personally I've always hated the Jam.  It's just shit music and all about the vocal content.  I prefer good music. 

Weller has always had a chip the size of a small universe on his shoulder and I've never got the Jam to be honest as lyrical content doesn't figure high on my radar when it comes to music and without that, they are just shit.

They are a band for feminists and closet politicians that can't help themselves if you ask me.

As for Squeeze, it'a a cheap shot.  He got elected fair and square, I didn't vote for him, but many did and that is just democracy.  Whinging afterwards stinks of the same closet politicians.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom