The Edge Fender Signature 57 Tweed Deluxe

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Reading the interview with Dallas Schoo up there, I was more interested in the story about Gibson recreating his '75 Les Paul Custom to perfection.

So they CAN do it...
    Of course they can do it. But a) Mr the Edge probably isn't as anal about pickup ring moulding shapes as those on MLP and TGP, and b) if they ever did it exactly right those guys wouldn't buy next years as well...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Tagging @MattFGBI for info - any more detail you can give us?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    @Randomhandclaps hinted at it, but The Edge (and Bono I believe) are on the Board at Fender. 

As for the idea of a sig AC30, he's always insisted that his no.1 amp is somehow particularly special sounding and he's gone through a lot of those amps to find another half dozen he's happy to actually tour with. I suspect if you sat him down in front of most AC30s he'd think they were a bit meh!
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    All the details will be out at NAMM. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

MattFGBI said:
    All the details will be out at NAMM. 
    Boo!! :p ;)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I always thought he used Vox AC30's with some obscure Randall combo? I don't think of his tone as Fendery?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    A Tweed Deluxe with a Celestion Blue isn't very 'Fendery' in terms of what most people mean by that - Blackface/Silverface with Jensen/Utah/Eminence etc.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    edited January 2016
    IIRC, the AC30 he uses isn't one of the Dartford Road ones... so whilst still sounds "Vox-ey" its doesn't quite sound the same. I'd imagine that with his percussive style, its a solid state rectifier one... and a signature model of that wouldn't sell because internet 'wisdom' will tell you valve rectifiers sound better </sarcasm> Certainly, the pics I've seen of the number one has the 'Reverb/Top Boost' badge on the front grille and a rectangular badge... that came in much later, after the fire at the original factory.

EDIT: I may have imagined the badge on the grille or perhaps it fell off... a picture for you...

The only Strat I'd be interested in is the stripped finish 60s one... mainly because it looks like Steve Hillage's one from his Gong days. The black late 70s one with the big headtsock that he used for Streets etc doesn't do it for me... but hey, I'm not an uber fan.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    impmann said:
    IIRC, the AC30 he uses isn't one of the Dartford Road ones... so whilst still sounds "Vox-ey" its doesn't quite sound the same. I'd imagine that with his percussive style, its a solid state rectifier one... and a signature model of that wouldn't sell because internet 'wisdom' will tell you valve rectifiers sound better </sarcasm> Certainly, the pics I've seen of the number one has the 'Reverb/Top Boost' badge on the front grille and a rectangular badge... that came in much later, after the fire at the original factory.
    For fear of ultimate geek-dom, the amp pictured is apparently a '64 chassis, just rehoused in a later, '70s cab. The Edge bought it second hand, might have had a hard life before that! It will of course have been regularly serviced to keep it tour-worthy, and it does have some idiosynchracies - for example, I don't think it's got a cathode bypass cap on the top boost valve, so it has more headroom/ less gain and less low end - explains why it can be pushed hard without browning/ mushing out like some AC30s do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom