Dry January

What's Hot
eSullyeSully Frets: 981
edited January 2016 in Off Topic
Am I alone in this folly? Please tell me someone else is having an equally miserable beer free January ;). 2 weekends and 11 days in now so not doing too badly. Can't say I've noticed any particular improvement in my health, sleep or mood though, all still crap :)

edit: Sorry, had posted in Guitar by mistake.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I'm having a go at it too. Which is quite odd after drinking at least a small beer almost every day for I don't know how many years…

I'm only 9 days in because in Scotland we don't wake up from Hogmanay until the 3rd ;). And there was the last of a mini-keg to use up, which I wasn't going to waste and it didn't run out until the 2nd.

I haven't noticed any particular change either - which at least proves that I am not in fact an alcoholic :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I perversely started on 31st December so I am 12 days in! I don't drink more than a bottle of wine a week usually, although gigging adds a couple of pints onto that... I had a few dry weeks and fortnights over this winter so I am not struggling. Vivid dreams are returning, which always happens after 12 days without alcohol for me.

Sorry to tell you this but I feel much better and currently have no plans to hit the booze on February 1st! We'll see. Got a gig on 29th January so I will have to resist. I'm finding it easy not to drink at home but I might struggle in boozy social situations.

My abstinence coincides with Dry January but I have been interested in experimenting with not drinking for quite a while now.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    ICBM said:
    I haven't noticed any particular change either - which at least proves that I am not in fact an alcoholic :).
    Never thought of that, that's a weirdly positive spin on it. Nope, I didn't get sweats or shakes from lack of alcohol either :))
  • I've not given anything up because I don't really drink anyway. So by default I'm in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    I don't go in for dry January, although it still confuses me that so many people in work still do. It just means we all have to work harder for the rest of the year. ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    edited January 2016
    eSully said:
    Am I alone in this folly? Please tell me someone else is having an equally miserable beer free January ;). 2 weekends and 11 days in now so not doing too badly. Can't say I've noticed any particular improvement in my health, sleep or mood though, all still crap :)

edit: Sorry, had posted in Guitar by mistake.
    I didn't drink at all from sep to dec last year.
    Can't say I noticed it made a difference.

Unlike smoking. When I stopped I was playing 5 a side football regularly. That was like flicking a make me fitter switch.
    edited January 2016

Sorry to tell you this but I feel much better and currently have no plans to hit the booze on February 1st! We'll see. Got a gig on 29th January so I will have to resist. I'm finding it easy not to drink at home but I might struggle in boozy social situations.

My abstinence coincides with Dry January but I have been interested in experimenting with not drinking for quite a while now.

Being honest I'm aiming for the 29th, I'll regard that as a success. The 1st of February is a Monday which is a crap day to start up drinking again. Personally, I've seen no noticeable change in how I feel yet however I'm sure my body is still processing some of the Christmas backlog so maybe later in the month ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    We don't drink in January, mainly to prove to ourselves that we can.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    I've not given anything up because I don't really drink anyway. So by default I'm in.
    Good to have you on the team ;)

Unlike smoking. When I stopped I was playing 5 a side football regularly. That was like flicking a make me fitter switch.
    I was a social smoker back in the early 2000's but quit completely when the smoking ban came in. Incredible the difference it made.
  • I have done dry January once and on the last day of January I had a bottle of Becks which was like an angel crying on my tongue, bloody lovely. Will be interesting to see if that is the case this time, as I am not so bothered about booze now.

@eSully Your body is capable of getting on with things even when you are pumping it full of shite, so even if you do not feel any better, good things will be happening in the liver and inflammation in general.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Haven't drank since the 30th of December.
    @bluechargeboy - I agree, I know it's doing good things for me but I can't deny I'm missing beer all the same. A permanent move to being teetotal is not on the cards but I'm sticking with it this January. 

It was a close thing Saturday mind, watching my rugby team get beaten out the door I was sorely tempted to take my frustrations out on my liver ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    edited January 2016
    Had the whole of December off, until Christmas Day and Boxing Day - when I drank a small amount.

Had a couple of beers with a mate at the pub on Friday - but otherwise I'm not drinking.

I've lost more weight, I'm sleeping better and saving money. What's not to like?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I'm in..always do January.
    Had a year off in 2011 for my 40th
    I do like a glass of Red though :)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I'm on the wagon as of this morning.

• I've not had a drink for over a year now. Decided that when we were trying for a baby, I'd rather not drink and haven't fancied one since.

I used to have the odd bottle of ale was all, and though I enjoyed trying the different ones and buying new local ones when on holiday, I haven't missed it at all!

Not consciously, not drinking anymore, just not fancying a beer at the moment.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I think its nonsense. Life is for living, and I don't see the need to punish yourself at all. Unless you are a heavy drinker, the odd tipple ain't going to put you in the ground.

I genuinely don't see the point of it at all.

So, Friday evening comes around, and I've done another 50 hour week, and I fancy a sit back with a beer or a glass of wine - but nah, its dry January, so can't.....fk that for a game of soldiers.

You seen Ice Cold in Alex? That's me on a Friday evening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

Doing the year...

hopefully!

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Snap said:
    I think its nonsense. Life is for living, and I don't see the need to punish yourself at all. Unless you are a heavy drinker, the odd tipple ain't going to put you in the ground.

I genuinely don't see the point of it at all.

So, Friday evening comes around, and I've done another 50 hour week, and I fancy a sit back with a beer or a glass of wine - but nah, its dry January, so can't.....fk that for a game of soldiers.

You seen Ice Cold in Alex? That's me on a Friday evening.

Are you the one behind the bar?

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Dry since June? It's not by intention, I'm just not a drinker. Don't like the taste nor the feeling from it or the hang over.

Horses for courses.