edited January 2017
    I'm going dry this month.

Dry white.

Dry sherry.

Dry martini.

Dry cider. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I'm doing this, but mostly since a new baby is due any time and I've got to be the means of transport to get my wife to the hospital. Only a few days in, but not really fussed by not drinking which has surprised me since I have drunk at least a glass of wine every night for the past few years.

Congrats and best of luck with the new arrival. I was in the exact same position last year. My son was born end of January so it was good excuse to stay off. This year it's just for overall health. I never really drink midweek but I love a beer on Friday evening so tonight will be the first test ;)

As an aside, I had a similar effect to @ICBM . I had never done a dry January or a lengthy break from alcohol before last year but I'm certain my intake between 2015-16 changed massively. I drank far less overall and tended to drink less in a sitting. Although i still did manage a hangover or two.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @esully - many thanks. I think a lot of it is habit. I just got used to having wine with food since I really enjoy the two together. However, a new habit will form over this month so will be interesting to see how I feel at the end of it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Struggling tonight....I may need a group hug  :s
    tone1 said:
    Stick with it if you can fella, almost half way there :)

I'm still in it with you if that helps ;) Managed to go watch some football and rugby on the telly without being tempted (big test for me ha) 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791

I haven't had any since June last year.

My sister gave me some raspberry-infused vodka for Christmas but I've no inclination to touch it at the moment.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    I didn't wobble til the last weekend of the month last year..I'm mega impressed you managed it through  the Rugby!
    I'm sure I'll make it til the end of Jan. May need a run later or a cup of earl grey tea to take my mind off if it :)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    tone1 said:
    You can do it!  :)
    Just keep swimming...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yesterday's performance by AFC Bournemouth was difficult to experience without a drink or two, but I've managed. Nothing since NYE
    Still in.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    I`m still in, easy as this year, might consider extending into dry Feb
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Me. I did miscalculate last weekend and think this weekend would be February though! But I'm going to wait until it actually is…

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Still going. No booze and bread means I've dropped almost half a stone
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    Yea, still going strong, and will do for another week or two I think. Been very easy compared to last year, I've not felt too tempted to drink. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    eSully said:
    Yea, still going strong, and will do for another week or two I think. Been very easy compared to last year, I've not felt too tempted to drink. 
    For a couple of weeks this time I almost forgot that there was a thing called beer.

I suspect the rough halving of my overall alcohol consumption after last year may have something to do with that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Absolutely, I've been the same this past year, my drinking has gone way down. Hard to believe that last years dry January was quiet a challenge!
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited January 2017
    Yes, me too - I've had a dry January, and may try for February as well. I find my 25mile Sunday morning bike ride a whole lot easier when I'm off the sauce as well.
    I've felt a bit flat at times where I thought a glass of Red would perk me up a bit. On the up side I've lost about 5 pounds.
    I am considering going longer but the jury's out on that one  :)
    I'm planing on extending to Jan 59th.