Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you have gig clothes?

What's Hot
austint01austint01 Frets: 20
Playing a gig tomorrow in a bar and I don't feel I have any special gig clothes!

I'm happy in jeans and a T-shirt. Does anyone go above and beyond with their gig dress code?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Yes. As a band we each wear black trousers and a waist coat. It shows we've made an effort. Personally I wear a white shirt with a collar. The white stands out in our lighting, whatever colour is shining. The collar keep the guitar strap from rubbing my neck.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • @Roland What kind of band do you play in?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418

Generally suits or black trousers and white shirts for corporate stuff, award shows and weddings. 

For pub gigs just any old jeans and tshirt

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • @Danny1969 I think I was wondering if there was some kind of middle ground. A fancy T-shirt perhaps?!

But for now, black T-shirt and jeans :)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    We do the dress in black thing, mainly as really we are a backing band for a singer, so she normally wears something sparkly.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Jeans and Tshirt or West Ham shirt usually (jam nights)

If I was in a band, I'd probably wear similar to the rest of the band, whatever the choice was.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Yes. Well, they might not be clothes I bought only to gig in but something that puts you in the zone. I guess the same kind of effort you might make if invited to a wedding or going to a nice restaurant or even going to do some gardening; wearing something that's physically appropriate and makes you feel right for what you're doing. There's an extra layer of expectation that goes with function and tribute bands as well. For example, my friend had an 80s themed party and hired an 80s themed band who had made no effort to dress accordingly and a lot of people obviously noticed that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    edited January 2016

Well I don't wear stripey flares (or glitter) in everyday life so I suppose I do wear special clothes, yes. It is battle dress.

Sometimes if I am not feeling it, I just wear black shirt and black/grey jeans. Never wear blue jeans.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • bluechargeboy;934881" said:
    I just wear black shirt and black/grey jeans. Never wear blue jeans. 
    Is blue not rawk enough?
  • austint01 said:
    bluechargeboy;934881" said:
    I just wear black shirt and black/grey jeans. Never wear blue jeans. 
    Is blue not rawk enough?

Not monochrome enough!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    We do dress up a bit, mainly black. Looked at some old band pics where we just wore jeans (sometimes blue) and t shirts and it really does look like we made no effort at all.dont think you need to go OTT but making some effort really helps IMO
  • I think I need to get some kind of music related T-shirt then. Anyone know any websites that do that kind of thing?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I think stage wear is important because:
    1) It sets you apart from the audience (usually a good thing). They want a bit of escapism and like to think you are rock/pop stars living the life.
    2) You will probably perspire quite a bit during the performance so changing afterwards makes you nice to be around, enables you to merge into the crowd and prevents you catching your death when you travel home.
     3) It shows you care about presenting your art.

If you just roll up to your local pub at 8.30 with an old 200w PA and no lights, I suspect bothering with attire is the least of your considerations.
    Of course It isn't essential to dress the part in order to play guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    ESBlonde said:
    I think stage wear is important because:
    1) It sets you apart from the audience (usually a good thing). They want a bit of escapism and like to think you are rock/pop stars living the life.

Although sometimes you want the opposite of that. The 80s band that didn't dress like an 80s band on an 80s night ( in my earlier reply) as a minor example but for us we will play things like Mod nights and scooter rallies so blue jeans and a t shirt is not acceptable. Almost always there are people in the audience who have gone to a lot more effort than us. It's all horses for courses stuff. I think sometimes people are a bit embarrassed about being too 'rock star' if playing down the local pub but I don't see why. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    I don't know if there are places where there is a dress-code for function bands but I personally think that the corporate suit and shirt that everybody gets from next to wear to work (I got 2 sets) has no place on stage. 

Imho it's more about looking like you actually bothered. Clean ironed clothes, well matched in style that fit you nicely and make you look sharp and cool. Colours that look nice with stage lights help too. 

For functions I have 4 shirts; a blue and a purple that look nice with stage lights and a black and grey.
    I wear them all with dark blue or black jeans and a pair of red adidas shoes which I like 'cause they stand out.
    I also have a water-proof trench coat that's warm and stylish as I think it's good to look good from the moment you arrive in the venue and people look at you but also not freeze or soak in the meantime. 

In the summer I arrive in a linen shirt as I don't want to sweat on gig clothes during load in. 

Having a t-shirt to change afterwards is important.

If I wanted to wear a T-shirt on a function, I'd pair it with a jacket. Not my style but it would show that I bothered a bit.
  • I have a slash hat, wig, glasses and fake cig
  • I have a slash hat, wig, glasses and fake cig
    Photo or it didn't happen ;)
  • jeans and a t-shirt, use a "fancy" t shirt if i have one clean but im not too precious about it. Try to avoid band t-shirts these days.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • jeans and a t-shirt, use a "fancy" t shirt if i have one clean but im not too precious about it. Try to avoid band t-shirts these days.
    Just been to town and bought a fancy T-shirt. I'm ready now :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Paid stuff - white shirt, dark trousers, neutral and inoffensive

Anything else - jeans and a hideous (collared) shirt - Hawaiian or otherwise. Has to be loose shirt as out 2kw per side of stage lighting is brutal.

I actually have a set of Blue Suede Shoes for my next gig (whenever that is ....)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback