Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you have gig clothes?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8716
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    I like your banners. Can I ask where you got them from?
    Our drummer is a printer. He made the back and side drops. The image comes from one of his professional libraries. Most printers should be able to do it for you, or know a man who can. The background is black cotton bought from a market stall, and hanging from a gantry bought from Hywelg
  • austint01 said:
    I have a slash hat, wig, glasses and fake cig
    Photo or it didn't happen ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always wear black, whatever the dress code ;)

Depending on the level of "smartness" required the top can be anything from vest thru T-shirt, polo-shirt, short-sleeved top, short-sleeved shirt, to long-sleeved shirt (but I'll probably roll them up), and the trousers can be anything from shorts to jeans-with-split-knees to the best M&S jeans (which look quite smart when new).

But it'll always be black.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I want to get my own "look" which is high impact like Slash. 
    Maybe play in some wintry boxer shorts whilst wearing a Christmas jumper. Might do the trick lol
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418

There's a guy on my local scene who wears a black leather skirt, he's not a cross dresser or anything, it's just a look. People remember stuff like like, things they don't see everyday. I don't have a look but people remember the Stella painted guitar, loads of people have had their picture taken with it. The double neck SG is a talking point too. The average punter probably won't appreciate the hours and hours of practice to learn Hotel California but they will remember the guitar with 2 necks :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2457
    Yes but depends on the gig. Weddings it's suits but general gigs it's smart casual. I always have a change of clothes though because we go for it on stage and I sweat like Michael Jackson in Mothercare.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Why would I wear a uniform for art?
  • I always try to dress well on stage (in fact all the time). Shirt, quality jeans/trousers and nice shoes. My philosophy has always been 'if Paul weller would wear it, it's good enough for me'.
    Drew_fx said:
    Don't think of it as a uniform in the military or school sense. It's the visual side of your art.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Keeps the paint off your civvies.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Roland;936864" said:
    Drew_fx said:

Don't think of it as a uniform in the military or school sense. It's the visual side of your art.
    I have been very much taken with the Bob Geldof explanation for being in a band (in middle age at least) as 'a holiday from being yourself' so the dressing up thing is entirely part of that. If I just look like I'm going to the office or down Tesco- because I don't dress for my art when I do those things (although I appreciate that some people do) - then that's another link to that ordinariness that I'm throwing a guitar around my neck to avoid. Wether my gig gear is a flamboyant expression of my individuality or an alternative uniform it is about being in that other mind frame. If that isn't important to someone that's entirely understandable too.
    If you are performing in front of people then what you wear is always some kind of statement even if it's a 'doesn't matter what I look like its the music that counts' type statement. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'm with Danny that people need something to help them remember a band,  we both play a lot of covers rather than originals though so it's slightly different question where you might want people to remember the songs or need something to help you stand out from the other bands playing standard tunes.   

I always like to dress the part,  so have loud suits for my 80's band or wore a top hat and kiss makeup for doing 80's rock,  anything that helps give people something to remember the band and talk about on monday morning is good I'd say.
  • Oh yeah I remember seeing your two-necked guitar, Danny! Awesome!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I remember trying to get a look for my band but the band members fought it all the way. I think it's important to have a band look whatever it is that the band members try to keep to. Doesn't have to be much really mainly colour coding at the very least. It took a lot of coaxing with my band members and all I asked was a retro peasantry look which was basically smart but casual but definitely no jeans or t shirt. Some people just don't like to dress up. I've folded it since as it was too hard work but not because of the band look ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/