Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

TheGigRig AutoPot - MIDI controlled Pot Turner For Your Effects Pedals

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3046
Just released:

Thoughts?

R.
1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2459
    Just seen this. I can already see loads of uses for me. Really great product.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • luckily all my moogs are expression pedal controlled if I wanted to do that

I would also bet that a second rat would be cheaper than the gigrig + autopot thingy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    edited January 2016
    Hmm. Think I prefer something like the reflex which can alter lots of parameters at once...
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    meltedbuzzbox;935547" said:
    luckily all my moogs are expression pedal controlled if I wanted to do that

I would also bet that a second rat would be cheaper than the gigrig + autopot thingy
    This I think is the flaw here. If it costs more than a 2nd pedal and takes up board space then the applications are more limited. Great product but think it might be very, very niche.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    luckily all my moogs are expression pedal controlled if I wanted to do that

I've seen the Autopot in the flesh, its wicked. This adds digital control to those vintage pedals that people use live, things that maybe you can't get two of but wish you could have several settings (KLON, Old Memory Man etc)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited January 2016
    I do understand the principle but I am speculating that the cost is quite high. 
    Mainly due to the gigrig switcher and the extras.

holy sh1t balls I didn't realise the G2 switcher was £750!!!!!!!

*edit - I do acknowledge it is a great product though*

*double edit - £290 for the autpot :-O :-O :-O*

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Looks like a great idea, like Neil Youngs Amp Whizzer but smaller and with midi.

However, if launching this is the reason why That Pedal Show hasn't been posted yet today, then I'm pissed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2016

Dan makes some great stuff obviously but he also seems to spend a lot of time trying to solve issues that don't really exist and then convincing you that they do. The Z Cable would be a prime example of this.

If you like they idea and it'll help you sleep at night then fair enough, but I see two or three massive issues with this idea -

1. Even off the top of my head I could probably list dozens of pedals that this seemingly won't fit.

2. From the video it looks like only one is moving so I've not sure if when you buy one you get one controller of two.  In reality for a lot out pedals two would be a necessity to make it a fully usable system without the extra volume making the usable range quite small.  So that Rat is either a near £400 or near £700 pedal.  Not only is that a ridiculous amount of money full stop but you could actually have someone customises or build one with switchable pots for a fraction of the price.

3.  Although this doesn't apply to delay pedals etc. most multi-stage distortions work by amplifying the input signal at the first stage, which is usually where the gain is.  So basically in the case of a distortion pedal this is £290 for pretty much something that your volume pot can do.

It has an appeal of possibly adding programmability to rare old pedals like a DMM for example but at the price a multiple knob setup would seem to cost you could probably hire someone to do the job for you at gigs for a couple of years before you were in deficit.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28425
    £290 would buy a perfectly decent multiFX with patches and an expression pedal.

But this is aimed at technophile-luddite analogue-fetishist tone-bores. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538
    Sporky said:

Hello, did someone call me?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah.

The fifties.

HA HA HA HA HA.

I should point out that I am mostly just funning.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited January 2016
    Two threads? Cool.

Haha Gigrig stuff is so cheesy and tacky
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Does anyone need to adjust their pedal settings mid song? If yes, buy a second pedal and switch between them as needed....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1611
    I like to adjust pedals mid song, delays, trem and phaser for example. Never a drive pedal though.

I do it because I am obnoxious and I think that the pedals are all part of the instrument.

That said the price, crazy for this function alone. Especially when bending over and turning the knobs with those old fashion designed hands work.
    As I said in the other thread I think the price is appropriate for the technology involved. It's a non-trivial engineering task.

I do also accept that it's a lot of money for the outcome.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I think £290 a bit steep personally :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Cheaper to buy another RAT and have 2 in different settings and using a looper to switch between the 2.

Especially for £290 !
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Sure I agree but I'm not sure who'd actually buy one? Not your average musician I'm sure so the cost has been reflected in that maybe as they won't be flying out the door in their masses so to speak :(
    Sporky;935989" said:
    As I said in the other thread I think the price is appropriate for the technology involved. It's a non-trivial engineering task.

I do also accept that it's a lot of money for the outcome.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Sporky said:

...thus speaks the guy who makes pedals specifically designed for technophile-luddite analogue-fetishist tone-bores :D
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:

The thing is, you may be just funning... but it's also the absolute truth.