Brunetti Pleximan - Anyone tried one yet?

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited July 2016
    Will read this soon. 

In the meantime, I see Musik Produktiv aren't an "authorised dealer" but they do them for a really good price. 
    Anything dodgy about that? 

Also... how reliable are these amps? 
    Is the clean on the Plexi still pretty amazing (is it clean up to loud volumes like the Singleman..?) AND is 5W mode too loud for use in a flat. 

What's the catch because to my ears they sound the best out of everything I've checked but don't cost a million quid..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    @thomasross20 ;

I bought mine from Musik Produktiv. Not sure what the reseller arrangement is with them,, but I was able to register the product with no issues with brunetti. They also offer 30 day return.

Reliable? When setting up my two notes of the first time, I plugged the speaker cable into the fx loop (don't ask) switched it fully on and no issues. Marco is also awesome to deal with direct if you have questions. It's a new product, less than 1 year old, so long term reliability is an unknown.

Catch might be that it's a PCB amp - but I'm told the PCB is really high quality. Not an area I know much about.

Victory amps are also PCB, I don't know the issue there... is that  like saying hand-wound pickups are better?

Ok be honest... is it too loud in 5W mode for usage in a flat, and does it sound good at low volumes? If not I'll look at something else

Er, that depends on the flat, your speaker cab and the proximity and tolerance of other people.
    It's too loud for my flat. But then so is my <1w Laney cub. Which is why I also have Helix, headphones and mild tinnitus.
    Playing an any amp at home though a speaker would be a huge no for me unless it was a THR etc.

But yes, IMO it sounds good a low volume.

As always, you need to try one. Who knows - my taste in guitar sounds and my level of acceptable volume might be way different to yours.

• You won't get 5w in a flat. 

Use a modelling amp. You've already said you don't want to get effects out for practice, and 5w is way too loud. Actually, you'll possibly find practice volume easier with a bigger amp and very good master volume or power scaling, such as that Martin uses on mjw amps. 
    edited July 2016
    Yeah from what I'm reading, 5W is too loud for a flat... 

The Victory amps go down to 1W and lower which should probably be ok, right?
    And yeah, power scaling seems the "holy grail"....
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    1W at full volume is still very loud, but using the master volume you should be able to get it to sound great.  I currently use a JTM45 and pedals as a practice amp at home and have no problem getting a sound I'm more than happy with
    I think 1/2W seems the limit for home usage then?
    The Singleman Head is 2W... 

5W... VERY VERY unfortunately sounds like it's way too much. Which SUCKS as I have a massive boner for the Pleximan.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24341
    So get an attenuator then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    Amps don't have to be run flat out to sound good, and a Pleximan turned down would sound a lot better than most things, they are beautiful sounding amps.  Also, if you do find a valve amp that is quiet enough for home practice when run flat out it'll bugger all use for anything else, the Pleximan would cover everything you could ever want
    I think 1/2W seems the limit for home usage then?
    Not at all  a 100W amp is fine for home use is you turn it down

Sounds to me liek what you really need to do is rent an amp and try it out to see if it works at home. Volume, what sounds good and whats acceptable are all very personal and subjective things.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Honestly - as here, it's all in the master volume. I've used a Marshall Jubilee at home no problems, but not been able to use an Egnator Tweaker - it's how the volume works for you. Get the amp you like and an attenuator - that will take it to whisper
    Think I'd prefer power scaling to an attenuator by the sounds of it.

I remember now why I chose my blackstar - no hassle lol
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Are you looking purely for a home use amp or giging too?
    Think I'd prefer power scaling to an attenuator by the sounds of it.

I remember now why I chose my blackstar - no hassle lol

We are all trying to tell you 'use the master volume' it'll be fine for home use.  Stop worrying about Watts, attenuators and power scaling ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    Jesus Christ. 

Its possible to use a 100w JCM 800 at bedroom TV levels. And even that still sounds ok. 

NO AMP WILL EVER SOUND GREAT AT MOUSE FART VOLUMES. And wattage has nothing to do with it. 

You have to take into consideration Fletcher-Munson curves etc. 

To achieve a fuller sound, you have to have a little bit of volume behind it so the speaker actually moves and the lower frequencies actually become audible, also. That amount of volume isn't going to change with the wattage. 

Wattage means nothing in that context. 

If you like the sound of the Brunetti, buy it. 

This seems like you are overthinking nearly every single element you possibly can? 

Not to mention that a loud conversation in a room puts out far more dB than a TV does, or even an amplifier turned down low does. 

If if you can talk over the amp, why worry about how loud it is. 

Do you have to whisper in your flat?!?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I should add, when I say 5 watts is too loud for home, I mean, that presumes power amp saturation - 5 watt amps are good for recording and rehearsal, but I prefer more powerful amps for home because of what @nerine said above - bigger amps fill out sound amazingly well at low volume. 

Just work out if you want a clean pedal platform, a two channel amp or a dirty/clean single channel that you can boost. If you're worried about practice and want effects without the board, get a a little modelling amp. 
    Just tried @camf's amazing amps and realised that a good master volume can really make the difference... 

And yes, I go over every little detail :D
    Fyi I think I want  two amps.
    One dual channel (still tempted by the plexi!). Other pedal platform. Fyi I can't live without reverb!!