Help!! Sliced my left index finger knuckle off!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ask me about my cure for erectile dysfunction.

Amputation?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Surely, like every other potential gig disaster, the answer is gaffa tape?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jesus H Corbett! Ouuuuch!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rock n' Roll mate!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27066
    I sliced off half my left-first-fingernail a few months ago. Fantastically painful and I couldn't play guitar for a few weeks afterwards.

I'd be inclined not to play a gig with that kind of cut, just to help it heal properly rather than make it worse.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    That looks like it needs stitching and resting until it heals
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Jeremy B Corbin!
    Ok, well at least it is at the top of the finger.

Personalyl, I would't gig with a finger like hat but it is because I've had a fairly serious finger injury and know how long it takes to heal.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72399
    edited January 2016
    Much as I like to play through pain and minor injures just to show how much of an idiot I am, with that one I would just splint it straight and not try to play a guitar until it has healed properly. The more you flex it while it's healing the longer it will take and the greater the chance of scarring which will permanently reduce the flexibility of it. I'm not a medical expert, but I do have a little experience at this.

If you really must play, try to work out some way of not using that finger. Left hand is a real problem I know, but I've done that a couple of times with right-hand injuries, even though I play fingers-only. It's tricky to re-learn picking patterns to not use the damaged finger but it can be done.

Or take up bass. You only need one finger for that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Needless to say, any solos will not be face-melters...... single note shredding here we come!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Micropore, and put the tape and a pair of scissors on top of you amp so that you can fix it mid gig. We did a gig after I tore the pad of my ring finger and had to stop after every third song for me to put new tape on.

You could also try plastic skin. It comes in nitrocellulose and polyurethane varieties, and is probably related to guitar varnish. It stings when you first put it on, but then seals out dirt. Put tape over the top to hold the wound together.

[No, I am not medically trained, but it worked for me]
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Just back from pharmacy - they didn't say I can't play on Saturday, he just said to use loads of butterfly stitches and this special covering that's breathable.

It's going to be interesting..... out goes Crazy Train and Sweet Child, and in comes a load of Ramones and Sex Pistols covers.....!
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Just play slide until it heals.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    I did the same to my Courting finger .....took a month to heal up properly
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    axisus said:
    Ouch! I lopped the end off of my middle fretting finger 10 years ago. The blood squirted 12" out. Couldn't really play for about 5 weeks. My bedroom toys were really dissapointed.
    I've never chopped any part of my finger off and I still can't play.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    If you have a capo it might enable some different 3 finger chord/lead progressions. It will be sore on the night and hurt even more afterwards because you will have abused it.

If you have a mate that can double up for a bit of guitar, take him along and the pair of you jam together.

Not doing the gig is the sensible thing. Having said that I've twice gigged with fresh wounds that required stitches or constant reapplications of superglue to get through the evening. Keep wiping the blood off the fingerboard though, you don't want any stains as well as the scar.

• Ask me about my cure for erectile dysfunction.

Amputation?
    O_o that's a bit extreme. You can achieve a lot with lifestyle changes, more excercise, eat better, less stress etc.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited January 2016
    Dominic said:
    I did the same to my Courting finger .....took a month to heal up properly

Are you saying you sliced open your bell end? This did happen to Alan
  • FarleyUK said:

It's bruised and starting to swell

Cheers all!
    Fnar fnar