New G2 firmware apparrently

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
edited January 2016 in FX
Loop 1-8 can be reordered.

So the G2 is trying to catch up with boss es8... just the huuuuuuuge price difference to contend with now ;)

http://www.thegigrig.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?pdtid=15357314

You have to pay for it?!?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7557

So the G2 is trying to catch up with boss es8... just the huuuuuuuge price difference to contend with now ;)

It does seem odd that they'd charge for a firmware update that adds a feature its main rival has
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The thing I always come back to with the Gigrig stuff is this. They did seem to be the first people the genuinely do that high quality, guitarist orientated, all singing all dancing switcher craze really well. And for that they seemed to charge a premium.

I genuinely would love a G2 (and if Im honest I dont even really need one) but the prices are just obscene. I do believe that they are the best at what they do but they have to acknowledge that there are challengers out there now who are catching them up and charger mega money for software updates is really not doing them any favours.

Im still a huge fan though  

How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Okay... I can't stay quiet anymore. I really dislike the GigRig's business practices. Their products are nothing special, certainly nothing that other people haven't done before, and the technology they use isn't any kind of evolution or unique thing. But they slap some make-up on their kit, charge the earth, and everyone swallows it up hook line and sinker because they don't know any better.

£22.50 for a firmware update!?! SERIOUSLY?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    they slap some make-up on their kit
    hahahaha
    How very rock and roll
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    It's a chip replacement to be fair
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 359

I've ordered this but I'm not overly enthused at having to pay for a firmware upgrade again. I get that it covers the cost of the new chip (probably way more than covers it) but ffs, couldn't they use a reprogrammable one? Does that technology exist yet? 

Or maybe I could send back my surplus chips for recycling/reprogramming? 
    Drew_fx said:
    Okay... I can't stay quiet anymore. I really dislike the GigRig's business practices. Their products are nothing special, certainly nothing that other people haven't done before, and the technology they use isn't any kind of evolution or unique thing. But they slap some make-up on their kit, charge the earth, and everyone swallows it up hook line and sinker because they don't know any better.

Nope, £27.78.  It does feel a bit like they're taking the piss when they're charging £5.28 to ship something THAT WEIGHS NOTHING! 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    @damm73 you have to pay every time?
    So it would seem, yeah. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd suggest the other way to look at it is that they've added more features to the product... but instead of making it so that those who adopted earlier are stuck with a lesser version (as with most things...), they allow everyone to have a current spec bit of kit for a not vast amount of money, if the new features are something you want. If not, no need to upgrade!! This one, I feel, is worth it... especially that you can use the footswitches as Tap Tempo for effects now! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'd suggest the other way to look at it is that they've added more features to the product... but instead of making it so that those who adopted earlier are stuck with a lesser version (as with most things...), they allow everyone to have a current spec bit of kit for a not vast amount of money, if the new features are something you want. If not, no need to upgrade!! This one, I feel, is worth it... especially that you can use the footswitches as Tap Tempo for effects now! 

That's a reasonable way to look at it I suppose but then companies such as Eventide and Strymon offer the same kind of updated features to early adopters for free. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'd suggest the other way to look at it is that they've added more features to the product... but instead of making it so that those who adopted earlier are stuck with a lesser version (as with most things...), they allow everyone to have a current spec bit of kit for a not vast amount of money, if the new features are something you want. If not, no need to upgrade!! This one, I feel, is worth it... especially that you can use the footswitches as Tap Tempo for effects now! 

fair point, but when it is over £700 in the first place, updates should just be part of the deal
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    OK so we have already established I'm a Gigrig G2 user and next level fanboy. This is not me arguing, just giving a different perspective on this. 

I do think Dan got this (and previous upgrades) wrong by calling it a software upgrade. A lot (not all) software/ firmware upgrades are free so can understandably rub people up the wrong way. We are releasing a new one for Helix adding a new amp and some more FX today I believe. Yes it's free. The G2 upgrade is more like a feature bolt on. If you don't need to use it, you don't have to. I'm still on the very first version and I'm happy. That said, the ability to move things around is useful to me so I will be doing this upgrade. 

Unlike software that will eventually become obsolete and you will have to pay a lot more than 20 odd quid to upgrade, G2 can be used forever on the same chip. You don't need to pay for every upgrade unless it's adding something that you would really need. Other units won't be able to offer this. The way G2 is laid out is so pretty much anything can be done/ upgraded. If other units want to add features beyond stuff that can be done with software, it's a whole new unit. 

As Drew said, Dan isn't really doing anything new. Systems like this have been around for ages. Unless I'm mistaken,Bob Bradshaw was the one who started this whole thing. What Gigrig does offer, specifically the G2, is a unit with an unsurpassed feature set that is upgradable for a small cost. The backup service (not that you would need it) is second to none. As far as the cost goes, it's all relative. This is a serious piece of kit. Made in the UK which of course adds a premium. When I was costing up a switching system, I looked at RJM and Voodoo Lab. Both were considerably more expensive than the Midi 14 I ended up with that was more then the G2 is now. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @rossyamaha I think you put it better than me! (PS. are you Ross, formally of the SJ Band? ;)) A lot of people are comparing this to the Boss series, which i haven't tried, but I'd be surprised if it had either the ease of use, or the pure sound quality the GigRig system has? 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    are you Ross, formally of the SJ Band? ;)
    That all depends on whether or not I owe you money!? ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The amp relay set up is great and the delay spillover on channels 9 and 10
    The pre and post gain per scene . Stombox mode on a pedal by pedal basis Flexible routing of the volume pedal and let's not forget Even if you don't use a G2 Dan has made a bunch of essential tools for powering a vast variety of pedals
    It's not for everyone but it is good stuff
  • are you Ross, formally of the SJ Band? ;)
    That all depends on whether or not I owe you money!? ;-)
    Nothing so sinister! If so, you're my predecessor... I've enjoyed learning some of your lines for her!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Hmm so 1-8 can be swapped but only 9-10 off trails. Not quite up to es8 yet then (although 2 more loops)

Now es8 and es5 can be linked togrther you can get 13 loops from that system for the same price. All with order switching and parallel mixing. Physically bigger though.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    edited January 2016 tFB Trader
    t>
    Drew_fx said:

Full disclosure, I know Daniel well and the kind folks at the Gigrig, the are passionate about what they do. At the top end they are providing the kind of rig control previously only afforded to the mega elite of rock stars through Cornish and Bradshaw rigs et al. And they do this for a fraction of what the aforementioned people do. 

Have you tried their products? Seems like a bit harsh to criticise a business that exists as a successful entity because they fill gaps that aren't met by others. In other words they couldn't succeed if there wasn't a demand. All of their products are made in the UK supporting British industry. On top of this they stand by their products and support musicians of all calibres. 

If the G2 wasn't as good as it is the gigrigs artist roster would be tiny, it's massive and full of some seriously heavyweight guitarists. As for the non originality argument, the patent office disagree with you, hence the Gigrig hold the patent for its G2 and previous incarnations.
    As for the firmware updatE, as others have said its a brand new chip that they have to post out, it's not a piece of software that can be downloaded and installed by the user.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    ThorpyFX;943769" said:
    t>

Drew_fx said:

Full disclosure, I know Daniel well and the kind folks at the Gigrig, the are passionate about what they do. At the top end they are providing the kind of rig control previously only afforded to the mega elite of rock stars through Cornish and Bradshaw rigs et al. And they do this for a fraction of what the aforementioned people do. 

Have you tried their products? Seems like a bit harsh to criticise a business that exists as a successful entity because they fill gaps that aren't met by others. In other words they couldn't succeed if there wasn't a demand. All of their products are made in the UK supporting British industry. On top of this they stand by their products and support musicians of all calibres. 

If the G2 wasn't as good as it is the gigrigs artist roster would be tiny, it's massive and full of some seriously heavyweight guitarists. As for the non originality argument, the patent office disagree with you, hence the Gigrig hold the patent for its G2 and previous incarnations.As for the firmware updatE, as others have said its a brand new chip that they have to post out, it's not a piece of software that can be downloaded and installed by the user.
    Their customer service is exceptional too