How do people enjoy this??? Am I getting old?

What's Hot
jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
I was in a public house not of my choice last night

The pub was on 3 floors, was rammed and "dance" music was being played and all floors and INCREDIBLY loud and distorted. I mean REALLY REALLY loud, to the point you couldn't even converse by shouting. And I was constantly jostled by punters.

Do people actually enjoy this?

It seemed to be that there were a lot of people in there who looked like they were pretending to have a good time.

Now it's difficult for me to articulate how much I dislike "dance music"; to me it reminds me of when I used to work in a factory.

Am I getting old?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Probably ;)  :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfamps said:

Am I getting old?
    Maybe but wiser with it too :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Nah, you're pretty much spot on. Culture is degrading. Dance music today is a farrrrrr cry from the stuff in the 80's and 90's.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    I didn't like it at 25, I sure as hell don't like it now! You may be getting old but you are not alone.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1284
    jpfamps said:
    I was in a public house not of my choice last night

This is where you went wrong :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28904
    That sounds most unpleasant to me too, but I imagine if you're with the right people and in the right mood it might well be quite fun.

Not sure it's an age thing, I'd never have enjoyed it. I'd much prefer a quiet room with no strangers in it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    edited January 2016
    I have to admit I've never liked "dance" music, even in my 20s, so I don't think it's an age issue.

I also don't mind a loud gig if it's music I want to listen too.

One of my objections to "dance" music is that it's sonically so horrible. It's not a "nice" sound and when distorted very fatiguing to listen to at any volume, let alone at absolute wind tunnel volume.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24853
    Yeah I'd prefer to have third-degree burns than be subjected to that - though the whole point of modern music is that we're not 'supposed' to understand it. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Yoof are more than welcome to it all.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6402
    When you're properly getting old - lot's of talking in a pub can do the same thing ;)  

Especially with middle aged men the mid-range hearing starts going from you mid/late 40s.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

• jpfamps said:

Do people actually enjoy this?

It seemed to be that there were a lot of people in there who looked like they were pretending to have a good time. 
    There were people looking like they were having a good time in the Woodstock mud and at the Hells Angels-secured Altamont. Some people enjoyed the gobbing of punk, the defeaning scream of teenage girls at Shea Stadium, being financially shafted going to the O2 in London to see some geriatric old fucks play with half the power and energy of their youth. There are shit gigs and shit venues and you got the latter last night. But let's not pretend that it's a modern creation to listen to badly amplified music in a hellhole and to smile about it. 

Drew_fx said:
    Nah, you're pretty much spot on. Culture is degrading. Dance music today is a farrrrrr cry from the stuff in the 80's and 90's.

There is some really tedious revival stuff going around but plenty of excellent stuff as well. 

Yeah I'd prefer to have third-degree burns than be subjected to that - though the whole point of modern music is that we're not 'supposed' to understand it. 
    Taylor Swift, Adele, Miley Cyrus. All modern. What's so hard to understand about them? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72801
    I like quite a lot of modern "dance" music and I'm 48… I also have reasonable top-end hearing through having always worn earplugs whenever I think it's dangerously loud.

I don't like it - or any music really - when it's loud to the point of not being able to talk to anyone or order a drink without pointing at it. Distorted is worse, regardless of the music type. Yes, there is some irony in an electric guitarist saying that, no doubt...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The problem has always been teenage psychology, which demands rejection of the previous generational cultures. This means they create something new - good because we can't have better things if all things stay unchanged. But, as glam rock proved, new does NOT always mean better.
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

Nope, I've never enjoyed it. Country pubs with an open fire and the landlords dog sitting in front of it, is more my cuppa.

I did used to frequent a rock club that I enjoyed until I witnessed a guy arguing with his girlfriend  Some other guy came up and pushed him to the floor (not difficult with the state he was in) and then everyone around them started to stomp on him and kick him    :( I ran down the 3 flight of stairs to inform the doormen and they slammed me against the wall, to run up the stairs. By the time I got back up stairs the doormen were beating the shit outta him! And roughly man handling his girlfriend. Not nice.

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    I like quite a lot of modern "dance" music and I'm 48… I also have reasonable top-end hearing through having always worn earplugs whenever I think it's dangerously loud.

I don't like it - or any music really - when it's loud to the point of not being able to talk to anyone or order a drink without pointing at it. Distorted is worse, regardless of the music type. Yes, there is some irony in an electric guitarist saying that, no doubt...
    I was definitely in the dangerously loud range.

I left as soon as I could.

It wouldn't be surprised if a load of people who regularly went raving in their youth end up with premature hearing loss.
  • Chalky said:
    The problem has always been teenage psychology, which demands rejection of the previous generational cultures.  
    In the past I'd agree with you but I don't think it's true now. A large number of teenagers happily accepted revived versions of the previous generational cultures given to them by the old folk . X-Factor is full of old music cover versions, Mumford and Sons and the folk movement drip with it, the shoegazing revival, Marvel DC, Doctor Who, Star Wars in the cinemas are cultures updated for a modern audience. What is the Corbyn popularity if not an endorsement by young people off a previous generation's political stance? The nature of teenage rebellion has changed in my view. 

Maybe things will change once the McG version of Masters of the Universe comes out and the teens decide that enough is enough and that all this rehashing of old shit must stop :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hearing damage will be a big problem in the future. I won't go near any loud club without my earplugs. Most people I know who aren't otherwise musicians still don't wear earplugs, and still think it makes you a wuss etc...
  • Chalky said:
     But, as glam rock (and punk, and most of what followed it) proved, new does NOT always mean better.
    fixed ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Chalky said:
    The problem has always been teenage psychology, which demands rejection of the previous generational cultures.
    I don't think that's true at all.

Teenage rebellion is more about rebelling from their peers. The previous generation is largely irrelevant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)