Cover band folk, got any Mr Brightside cheats?

What's Hot
tbmtbm Frets: 579
So I've been offered a bit of work with a cover band. I've a ton of tunes to learn, amongst them Mr Brightside. My hands won't do what's required for that main guitar riff. I can get the first 3 positions, the fourth, forget it. Then getting back to position one is s pain in the hoop.

I need a cheat for this bad boy. Anybody got one?

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

I did a quick video on this a while ago, there's an altative way of playing the monster stretch in the vid

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    Good man! Your way gets closer then anything else. I've new found respect for the Killers guitar player. That's s v tricky riff.

• My cheat would be to play "Somebody Told me" or "Smile Life You Mean It" instead, double bonus for me as a I prefer both of those songs to Brightside ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72394
    My cheat would be to play "Somebody Told me" or "Smile Life You Mean It" instead, double bonus for me as a I prefer both of those songs to Brightside ;)
    Spot on. Or All The Things That I've Done, or Bling, or Bones, or Human, or A Dustland Fairytale or any of the other great songs the Killers have done (many of which are well enough known too) that aren't Mr. Brightside... which is easily my least favourite Killers song, not least because every covers band on Earth seems to think they have to play it, well or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4542
    I would tune my guitar slightly differently as could not reach across the two frets your little finger has get to.

Every-one has heard it a million times and no-one can play it well.. like the above has said, choose another Killer record
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited January 2016
    Danny1969 said:

I did a quick video on this a while ago, there's an altative way of playing the monster stretch in the vid

Love your Blazer !!!!!!  (If it is a Blazer)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Not my choice lads. I'm filling in for someone, and its part of their set.

• Jalapeno;949527" said:
    Danny1969 said:

Love your Blazer !!!!!!  (If it is a Blazer)
    I'd say it was a sweatshirt personally
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72394
    tbm said:

Not my choice lads. I'm filling in for someone, and its part of their set.
    I would just play it completely differently then. There's nothing worse than hearing a cover played nearly like the original but not quite well enough.

Strip it down to palm-muted power chords or something like that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

@Jalapeno It's a Roadstar 2 mate from 86 ...... I only own 2 guitars and I would never sell that one. 

I do Smile like You mean it, All these things, Jenny, When we were young as well as Brightside. There are other Killer's songs but if your told to learn that one then you can't play your own version of it you have to play it pretty much like the record. To be honest it's only that G shape that's a stretch and in that video I show an easy way to do that anyway. The main riff is pretty easy as long as your guitars not slung too low,  and vocally it's an easy song to do as well so I can see why it's popular
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I'm glad other guitar players have trouble with this one. I was asked to dep in a band I used to play for on New Years Eve and this was in the set. I had to say I'm not going to get this one in time for the gig, and fortunately they were happy to drop it.

I think I could get there eventually but it was killing my fingers. In many ways, the high part was worse than the lower stretches, because I found I had to fret with parts of my finger tips (i.e. the sides) that I don't usually use to get the shapes, which was pretty painful because the hardness hadn't built up.

I've never had to admit defeat before. I had less trouble with the EVH solo to Beat It than this one.

Pete
    It's not a competition.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    My cheat would be to play "Somebody Told me" or "Smile Life You Mean It" instead, double bonus for me as a I prefer both of those songs to Brightside ;)

We do "Somebody Told Me"....but it's often we finish that and people then shout for "Mr Brightside". :((
  • Danny1969;950080" said:
    ,  and vocally it's an easy song to do as well
    The number of god awful vocal performances of this song would suggest otherwise
    Danny1969;950080" said:
    ,  and vocally it's an easy song to do as well
    The number of god awful vocal performances of this song would suggest otherwise
    It's very monotone, the verse is almost on one note all the time. It's not high register to sing in  and the fact it's down a semi makes it even easier. What I mean though is compared to a lot of songs folk do in a modern covers band, like Living on a prayer, locked out of Heaven etc it's easy. There will always be some terrible versions of any song though
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4542
    I would also, when playing it live, drag a chair from off stage and play the verses sitting down, that helped a lot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

DesVegas said:
    I would also, when playing it live, drag a chair from off stage and play the verses sitting down, that helped a lot
    Good idea. If I use a bar stool I can stand up in a boy band stylee at pre chorus.

Crap, now I need to source a white suit.

You know the actual easiest fool proof way is to record it into your looper, GT10 \ GT100 etc and then just mine the intro, coming in when the whole bands in and it's not a noticeable :) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    DesVegas said:
    Yep, that's what I do, but I hate it.  It's better than screwing up though
  • Danny1969 said:

You know the actual easiest fool proof way is to record it into your looper, GT10 \ GT100 etc and then just mine the intro, coming in when the whole bands in and it's not a noticeable :) 
    Yes! This!!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    What was that Green Day song with the weird tremolo at the beginning no one could do and then it turned out live Green Day just used a backing track cause they couldn't do it either? Anyway, that's sort of a precedent for the looper idea.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.