Cover band folk, got any Mr Brightside cheats?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

That was Boulevard of broken dreams, that effect was created by drawing the amplitude in Protools ......... when I saw them live that part was indeed just played from a BT :~)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Although you can get very close to the Boulevard of Broken Dreams effect with a tap-tempo tremolo. I've done it with my Diamond Tremolo and the audience recognised it pretty much straight away.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Danny1969 said:

That was Boulevard of broken dreams, that effect was created by drawing the amplitude in Protools ......... when I saw them live that part was indeed just played from a BT :~)
    That's the one. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Danny1969;950080" said:
    ,  and vocally it's an easy song to do as well
    The number of god awful vocal performances of this song would suggest otherwise

Visions of Vic Reeves doing it in the 'club' style... As has been said easier with the guitar higher on strap or go mad altogether & get that foot up on the monitor ;)
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• What key are toy playing it in? I've just done it in D, starring on the D string at twelfth fret, using 5ths instead and is much easier

So instead of D F# Higher D for the first bit, I'm literally just going D A higher D and back down again, using the open high e string open for the same kind of effect.

Middle and ring fingers stay on G string 14th fret and B string 15th fret respectively. Then your index finger just goes D string 12th (note D), D string 11th fret (note C#), A string 14th fret (note B), E string 15th fret (note G). Changing each time the chord does,

Hope that helps and makes sense
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

You can do it that way but the signature sound of the riff comes from hearing an E, another E and a D all ringing out at the same time. That little trick is used on the end of every inversion of the riff
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • apologies for the ropey playing and awful phone mic sound, I've only been trying it for about fifteen mins :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    I've played it in various bands, and the easiest way to play it, which sounds most authentic, is as Danny is demonstrating earlier in the thread.
    I play a Les Paul, and rather than sit down I adopt the "Slash solo pose" and hold the guitar upright! It's so much easier plus the crowd think it's harder to do when actually its so much easier!
    I also don't play the wide stretch in the bridge, I'm picking right notes around the chords but don't think that part of the song is as recognisable as the main riff. Chorus I'm playing same riff as Danny but down around 2nd, 3rd, 5th frets on high E and B strings for first part then up around 10th/12th frets area for synth bits.
    So I'd play Dannys intro and work something comfortable for the bridge, that'll do you unless Brandon Flowers actually shows up. Bet he can't even play it :)
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    @tbm I can try and record roughly what I play if you think it will help, but Dannys vid should have you sorted, mine is just a variation for bridge and chorus!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    ^ I play it the same -  I'm usually one for getting parts bang on unless I want to be creative and take a few liberties but bright side is usually near the end of the night and I only really play it at dep gigs.  Get the intro as right as you can and the chorus melody and  you can simplify the rest of it ( especially the hideous stretch!)