Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Self assessment tax, accountant still hasn't filed it.

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Is this normal? I signed up with an accountant to make doing my taxes a little easier, and maybe save me some tax too. Or so I thought. It's now the day before the deadline and he hasn't told me how much I owe yet.

I did ring on Tueesday to chase up, to be told that it was in hand and not to worry, I'd be informed by the end of the week. I've now realised that I will have tomorrow to pay it, or have to pay a £100 fine. I can only imagine it will be a nightmare getting through to the tax office tomorrow, if much rather have known a couple of weeks ago and paid it off early.

Do all accountants work this way or have I just ended up with a crappy one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited January 2016
    You dont have to pay it yet do you - just file it online? I submitted mine on Monday and it gave me a rough idea of how much it would be - maybe he's not actually submitted it yet, though realistically he should be able to give you a good idea how much it you owe at this stage.
    I have the lucky/unlucky scenario of being married to an accountant, so she does all my tax and stuff - unfortunately this also means she can nag me about my unique filing system and approach to record keeping etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    edited January 2016 tFB Trader
    @bloodeagle you have to file and pay before January 31st, hence my annoyance.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11679
    tFB Trader
    Yes - proving that like everybody else even accountants can leave their work until the last minute.

Has he given you a ballpark idea of what the figures will be ...so you can have money ready to pay.

Also as the 30 & 31st are at a weekend you do kind of need to know in case you need to pay it at a bank etc 
    Obviously most people do it electronically

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28352
    Did mine myself about 2 weeks ago. The site is a major PITA (did a thread about it!), but I got it sorted and paid online as soon as I had a figure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @bloodeagle you have to file and pay before January 31st, hence my annoyance.
    oh shit, did not know that. guess i'd better pay it then haha
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7903
    much to my surprise I did mine last year :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I did mine in September I think...
  • SkodadadSkodadad Frets: 510
    My missus does both of ours (partnership) I find it really easy as a result.
    The most annoying part is the tutting and occasionally groan, but I just turn the TV up.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Did mine in April. Nay worries!

smug bastards
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12015
    I only got mine from the accountant last week, handed him the papers last September. Once he given you your reference number and amount to pay, it's very easy to pay online. It's a 1 min job, like buying something on Amazon except there is no delivery at the end of it.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2110
    It's the time of the year. My accountant begs for accounts from about September so he can try and avoid the end of year rush from his clients. I don't think I've ever submitted mine before January before - much to his annoyance, I think they have to burn the midnight oil a bit... serves 'em right for the outrageous amount they charge :D. Having said that, it is getting a bit close to the day!! I suppose I'd best pay my tax... or maybe tomorrow. Probably.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11399
    Just did mine, and my VAT return as well. Tax-return and tax-paying days are the days I am at my most grumpy.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Paid ours last night, done the return last week. That's pretty organised for us, made the same old promise that I will do my next one in April, like I say every January
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Is this normal? I signed up with an accountant to make doing my taxes a little easier, and maybe save me some tax too. Or so I thought. It's now the day before the deadline and he hasn't told me how much I owe yet.

I did ring on Tueesday to chase up, to be told that it was in hand and not to worry, I'd be informed by the end of the week. I've now realised that I will have tomorrow to pay it, or have to pay a £100 fine. I can only imagine it will be a nightmare getting through to the tax office tomorrow, if much rather have known a couple of weeks ago and paid it off early.

Do all accountants work this way or have I just ended up with a crappy one?
    When did you send your records in?

I'm currently sat here working my way through what I'm hoping will be my last tax return job for the year.  The records came in a couple of weeks ago but being one of the last to get his information to us means that he's one of the last ones we do.  

At the moment it's touch and go as to whether it'll be finished on time but I have at least been in touch with him to ask questions and let him know where we are up to.  
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785
    Paul_C said:
    much to my surprise I did mine last year :)
    You know you have to do a tax return every year right?  ;)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Three more tax returns to do here & two of them haven't given me the info for them yet...

Same two every year (if they were't relatives of other clients they'd be getting the boot).

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    So many individuals submit tax data to their accountants during January to be completed (alongside everyone else that's late) by the deadline. If you want to be on time; be early!

Luckily accountants have nothing better to do on those dark winter evenings than sift through inadequate incomplete records of people that couldn't get there arse into gear.

/Rant.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    You know if you overpay, you get a refund.

I did mine yesterday, will check the calc tomorrow, and pay up. I pay on account, so when I file my return it doesn't autmatically included any payments on account I've already made (on account means you effectively pay next years tax, thisyear)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4055
    Just submitted mine. 

I have not found "inner peace."  Instead I have a headache.  I want a cup of tea.