Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Self assessment tax, accountant still hasn't filed it.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    ESBlonde said:
    So many individuals submit tax data to their accountants during January to be completed (alongside everyone else that's late) by the deadline. If you want to be on time; be early!

Luckily accountants have nothing better to do on those dark winter evenings than sift through inadequate incomplete records of people that couldn't get there arse into gear.

/Rant.
    I submitted mine in September. I thought that would mean it was done in a timely manner ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    ESBlonde said:
    So many individuals submit tax data to their accountants during January to be completed (alongside everyone else that's late) by the deadline. If you want to be on time; be early!

Luckily accountants have nothing better to do on those dark winter evenings than sift through inadequate incomplete records of people that couldn't get there arse into gear.

/Rant.
    I submitted mine in September. I thought that would mean it was done in a timely manner ...
    If you sent your records in in September then your accountant is taking the piss if it's not been done yet.

Just out of interest does your accountant go through the figures in your accounts with you or are they just presented as being "done"? 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31048
    HMRC have lost the right to collect taxes after google.

The whole country should just say no to them

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    A lot of accountants seem to do this when they are working for private individuals -  leaving it to the last moment even if they had the info months ago. Your accountant can file your return online by Sunday 31st, tell you what you owe and you can pay by BACS transfer also on 31st. So no need to panic right now but if it's not done by then go and sit in his office on Monday morning  -  glaring.

Years ago I had an accountant who proved so incompetent that I came uncomfortably close to a HMRC court hearing. They were after me, not him, even though I'd done my part long before the deadline. I sorted it with HMRC and it turned out that the accountant had done the same to many clients. He was eventually struck off, the Toad!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    My accountant doubles his fees for a January submission.
    I did mine a few months ago.
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I'd find a new accountant for next yea if I were you.

My firm generally work to a turnaround of a couple weeks and I'd be embarrassed if I was still doing a tax return where I'd had the records for four months...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431

CHrisP86 said:
    I'd find a new accountant for next yea if I were you.

My firm generally work to a turnaround of a couple weeks and I'd be embarrassed if I was still doing a tax return where I'd had the records for four months...
    My partner submitted all the necessary income and expenditure details for 2014-2015 to her accountant in mid July 2015 and she eventually got the accounts, tax comp and completed tax return from him in early January 2016 after much chasing. It didn't help her at all that she did not know where she stood tax-wise for so long, particularly as she was having to carry out a lot of costly work to a property at the time. Perhaps she should go to @CHrisP86's firm this year.