Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New (self build) Guitar day!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• That's the nicest guitar I've seen on here in AGES! 

The best part is, it's NOT giving me GAS because its a one off and therefore I can't buy one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

That looks amazing. I'm interested to know how you made the string guides in the Bigsby roller - they look a good idea.

• LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    Amazing work mate - looks the bollocks!
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    edited February 2016
    Superb work. 

A few small questions, what wood did you use for the neck and what is the hidden Oil City pickup?  I really like the look of the neck, in the build thread I'm not sure if it was mahogany or not.  Was there a toner applied to make it look darker?  I presume the body was oil finished without the pores being filled?  I really like the look of the natural wood grain.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    edited February 2016
    Gagaryn said:

That looks amazing. I'm interested to know how you made the string guides in the Bigsby roller - they look a good idea.

I didn't think that the original roller was that good - thin tube with bushes. I made a new all solid one from steel, not to hard when you have a lathe at your disposal! Pretty easy to cut some grooves at the same time.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    axisus said:
    Gagaryn said:

I didn't think that the roller was that good - thin tube with bushes. I made a new all solid one from steel, not to hard when you have a lathe at your disposal! Pretty easy to cut some grooves at the same time.
    I agree - it looks like a very worthwhile improvement - could you be persuaded to make another - I'd be very happy to cover your time and material costs?
    Superb work. 

A few small questions, what wood did you use for the neck and what is the hidden Oil City pickup?  I really like the look of the neck, in the build thread I'm not sure if it was mahogany or not.  Was there a toner applied to make it look darker?  I presume the body was oil finished without the pores being filled?  I really like the look of the natural wood grain.  
    You can see the pickup in the build thread. It was a one-off that Ash knocked up. doesn't sound too mad as it is quite low, gives a different flavour.

The neck was originally my old mahogany fire hearth. As I was looking to age the whole guitar it looks different in the early pix on the build thread. I used a solution of vinegar with wire wool soaked in it to create a bit of reaction (read about this idea somewhere). I very much like the way it turned out.

Body: I didn't do grain filler to try and give a bit of a 'sunken in' look to the paintwork. It's a couple of coats of black cellulose (from Manchester Guitar Tech) followed by satin varnish, a couple of coats. knocked back a bit duller with fine wire wool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This looks brilliant apart from the cream P90 which makes my brain itch. Black would be better ;)

But seriously, excellent work!
    Well, we all have different tastes! for me, the old cream P90 was an integral part of the look in my mind.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Fantastic.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • I'm astounded. Why admit you're from Luton?
    Nice work
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    How is the bridge secured to the body or is it a floating bridge?
    Sassafras said:
    How is the bridge secured to the body or is it a floating bridge?
    It's a jazzmaster bridge. I believe that it is designed to sit loosely in two cups. Take the strings off and you can just lift it out.

I didn't have the cups so I turned some new ones and made them a closer fit.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16707
    BigMonka;955659" said:
    An amazing DIY build. The finished article is so close to the original photoshop mock up you posted in the other thread too!
    That needs repeating. Its one if the hardest bits of guitar building sometimes- having a plan and sticking to it ;)

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Excellent. There's something about playing a guitar you've built yourself. I'm on my fourth and learn something every time. i'll take a good look at your build thread for tips
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Normally, when I see a relic, I think "isn't it awful to spoil a perfectly good guitar". However his one looks just right: well used and played in, and I love the roughness of the finish. The mismatching pickups shout "this was done for sound, not for looks" which is an ethos I approve of. Well done
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • axisus said:

And those numbered controls again, noice.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Many thanks for the kind comments everyone. Currently planning my next guitar!
  • axisus said:
    Many thanks for the kind comments everyone. Currently planning my next guitar!

Can't wait, if this one is anything to go by! :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27600
    axisus said:

Many thanks to Mark Bailey and his online guitar build course, which was more than invaluable!

Build thread is here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/48934/my-first-attempt-at-making-a-guitar-has-started/p1

Given what you've done before, I thought this one was going to turn out nicely!

For anyone else interested, @Mark_Bailey is giving a theFretBoard discount on his courses.

Follow this link
    And sign-up

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Loads of mojo there.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.