Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Just wondering if we have lost the plot

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5003
While travelling to the Dublin hospital early this morning, I could not fail to notice all the cars heading towards the city.  The M4 almost became a car park about two Kms from the M50.  The M50 itself was more or less the same.  Thousands of cars inching along, some constantly changing lanes to gain a few metres.

Several things struck me:

The vast majority of the cars were single occupancy.

Each of those cars needs somewhere to park.

The situation will be repeated in its entirety this evening.

The situation in Ireland is likely to be mirrored in the UK.  Except in much greater numbers and locations.

If each car had a minimum of two occupants, this would go a long way to ease the congestion in our cities.  Large car parks could be built close to major motorways and buses used to ferry people in to the city.

From what I saw this morning, traffic wise we have lost the plot somewhere.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I can't understand people who put themselves through that day in day out, same goes for the trains/buses/tram commute they must be mad. My mates wifes commute is 50+ mins each way on a journey that out off rush hour is 15 minutes-I'm sure others face a lot worse too, I can't understand why she does it. I'd look into starting 2 hours early/later or something.

Some of them will need the car but a lot will want it for convenience. Car pool lanes would help.

I'd be on a motorbike if I had any distance in built up traffic to go through.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Having been in london for some months I've seen a LOT of buses and tube trains jam packed with people... so there's a lot of public transporting going on too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27746
    Rocker said:
    The situation in Ireland is likely to be mirrored in the UK
    And in most cities and major towns across the world.

IIRC, over 95% of the energy consumed by a car is what's required to move the vehicle itself.  The remaining <5% is what's required to move the contents (ie passengers, luggage, whatever).

How inefficient is that?  How wasteful is that?

Could we - the highly developed & intelligent human race - not have found a better use for all the resources that we waste in this way?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Car pool lanes seem to work where I've seen them around San Francisco & Houston.

There's also public mass transit which Ireland / Dublin desperately needs, that journey into the city centre from Dublin airport is a bloody nightmare !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    Correct @Jalapeno.  One of the problems is that the people charged with coming up with a solution, don't think 'big' enough.  When it was first built the M50 was a two lane motorway!  I also feel that the people who could change this traffic chaos [for the better], don't use the road network themselves.  If they did, they would do something about it after a week stuck in traffic.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• The problem at least where I live is that public transport is shit and expensive. We need a economic environment where public transport is viable but like so many other things our ridiculous tax base prevents that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TTony said:
    IIRC, over 95% of the energy consumed by a car is what's required to move the vehicle itself.  The remaining <5% is what's required to move the contents (ie passengers, luggage, whatever).

How inefficient is that?  How wasteful is that?

Could we - the highly developed & intelligent human race - not have found a better use for all the resources that we waste in this way?
    If only someone would invent a machine, say with a couple of inflatable wheels, that could be powered purely by moving your legs up and down.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    You bloody hippy ... 

Good point though
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043

I have to travel to Delhi twice a year and I can assure you, whatever we see here (even the M25 in car park mode) is utterly civilised compared to there. 

It is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most ghastly place imaginable for commuters. 

I have a 90-minute commute each way, and am at the mercy of Southern Rail, but I almost always have a seat and I just factor it into my day.  I catch up on iPlayer downloads, social media, work emails etc. And on the way home I might quaff a sneaky beer.  But I do pay £100 a week for the 'privilege'.  That bit really sticks in my craw. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    Jalapeno said:
    Car pool lanes seem to work where I've seen them around San Francisco & Houston.

There's also public mass transit which Ireland / Dublin desperately needs, that journey into the city centre from Dublin airport is a bloody nightmare !
    I think Car Pool lanes are a far better alternative to the "Bus Lanes" that we appear to have adopted in the U.K.

Whilst in City Centres, bus lanes can work efficiently (used by large numbers of buses). It the folly of placing them on Motorways that gets me, e.g the bus lane on the M4 heading into London. This drastically reduces the motorway capacity, causing tail backs and delays whilst offering the odd bus a jam free passage into the city.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    I am a case in point on this.  My next door neighbour and I commute the same 30 mile round trip each to the same office.  We've tried to untangle the gordian knot of two both working full time parents and shifts and kid drop off/collection and it's beyond us.....still feel slightly guilty about it every day
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I do think people have lost the plot though...

Like FiiO advertising a music playing portable deviced based on its processing power... all it has to do is make digital music files into noises and they mention the GPU power...
  • exocet said:

Whilst in City Centres, bus lanes can work efficiently (used by large numbers of buses). It the folly of placing them on Motorways that gets me, e.g the bus lane on the M4 heading into London. This drastically reduces the motorway capacity, causing tail backs and delays whilst offering the odd bus a jam free passage into the city.
    It would make sense if there were loads of buses on the M4 so that the folk in cars could park say at Newbury or Reading and take the bus from there. You could have lots of buses (ie frequently) to do away with the "they don't run when I want to travel" excuse for using a car
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • If we want personal transport then we really need to accept cars like the twingo, or that BMW motorbike with a roof, but in a 3/4 wheel stable configuration.
    Generally people (especially with families) can only afford the car so want to make full use of their investment.
    I've gone down the two seater sports car (dirt cheap MG) route.
    Pity the little Smart roadster never took off
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    exocet said:
    Jalapeno said:

I think Car Pool lanes are a far better alternative to the "Bus Lanes" that we appear to have adopted in the U.K.

Just buy a blow up doll .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2095

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10481

The big problem is lack of trust. Thousands of people live their homes equipped with internet and phone to sit in an office with internet and phone ...... they could do the exact same job from home half the time but a lot of boss's won't trust them!

Also everyone want to be at work at 9 and leave at 5. I'm doing my bit to help and ease the situation here, I generally start at 11 and leave at 4  ..... and I'm on a bike but every little helps :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I have the worst of both worlds. Long and expensive. Almost two hours each way, and a cost of more than £6k/year.

A job is a job though.
  • "we" lost the plot when "we" agreed to sell our time for a pittance to the rich bastards who owned the means of production back in the Industrial Revolution

With hindsight, not only was coming down from the trees a bad move, but nobody should ever have left the oceans ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28844
    Danny1969 said:

The big problem is lack of trust. Thousands of people live their homes equipped with internet and phone to sit in an office with internet and phone ...... they could do the exact same job from home half the time but a lot of boss's won't trust them!
    Absolutely. My last employer let me have a day a week (at best) working from home but wanted me to check in regularly to prove I'd not just headed off to the seaside.

My current employer has made it very clear that while I'm allowed into the office I shouldn't be there very often, and I should turn up and leave at times that suit me.

It's a bit odd feeling trusted.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."