Recording from front of amp into iPhone

What's Hot

I want to start recording my guitar ideas, not necessarily studio quality recordings but good "sketches".

I have an iPhone 6 and a Roland Jazz Chorus JC40, as well as some fantastic digital effects (2 H9s and a Timeline).

Is there an iOs app that would allow me to record some FX-drenched ideas directly from the front of the amp into the iPhone's mic and have them sound full and clear enough to get the idea, or is there another cheap way forward? The app would also have to allow me to email recordings as links/clips that anyone without the app could open and listen to.

Yours, a Luddite. Thanks in advance for all advice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2016
    Voice Memos will work to give you an idea of the sound and ideal for quickly recording sketches. It's part of the OS so you already have it on any iPhone. You can easily save and e-mail those files as regular audio files.

Garageband is also part of the standard apps now as well.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10453

If you put a 4.7K resistor connected to the ground of the headphone port and the last ring terminal the phone will think you have connected a mic and will then happily record any signal you care to give it, like the direct send from an effects unit 

Alternatively if you don't like the above get a mic pre amp for your phone rather than an iRig  and use that coupled with a cheap mic like Sm57 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2234
    edited February 2016
    @not_the_dj How does Garageband work for live recording? Sorry, I am clueless about this stuff.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27663
    How is Garageband as an app?
    Pretty damn good.

At least the iPad version is.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    How is Garageband as an app?
    Pretty damn good.

At least the iPad version is.

:)

Ah. The iPhone version not so hot, then?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27663
    Not what I meant - I've not got an iPhone, so can only talk for the iPad version.

Which is pretty damn good!

FWIW, I've recorded stuff (like this for the RRotM challenges here) by just putting my phone (s6) in front of my amp and using the phone's mic to record the amp's output into a voice recorder app.

If that's good enough sound quality for what you want to do, I doubt that the iPhone would be much different.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2016
    @not_the_dj How does Garageband work for live recording? Sorry, I am clueless about this stuff.
    Open it up, and it should (if it looks like mine) allow you to scroll across to a picture of a microphone. Hit that and you're there. It's pretty simple.

As far as the iPhone version vs the iPad....well the iPad one looks bigger....but the functionality is (as far as I know) the same. 

For what you want it's ideal.
  • @not_the_dj @TTony Thanks will give Voice Notes and GarageBand a try in front of my amp.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited February 2016
    This new app may be useful to you, Music Memos, much better than using Voice Memos I think.

• As another option, I have this wee thing. Any software I could download to the laptop so I could connect the H9 at the end of my chain from the midi ports to the laptop and record that way?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-Midisport-Uno-Interface-Bus-Powered/dp/B00007JRBM

• For what it's worth, I've got an iRig Pre (just a mic preamp for Android/iOS phones, so you can use a real mic) and it's pretty fantastic. Then you can just use any audio recorder app (don't use iRig Recorder, though, because it's shit and often corrupts the audio).
    <space for hire>
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2016
    Not sure of your budget but these are brilliant and come with all the software you need to make basic demos on an iPhone or iPad as well as a Mac or PC .. http://uk.line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport-vx/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Fretwired said:
    Not sure of your budget but these are brilliant and come with all the software you need to make basic demos on an iPhone or iPad as well as a Mac or PC .. http://uk.line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport-vx/
    Cheers, will look into it, was going to get the Apogee 96k Jam sometime next week, but this looks very interesting.