My shower

What's Hot
I think I've complained about it before but I've had this idea for getting a bit more life out of it. I live in a hard water area. The shower takes in cold water and uses electricity to heat it and presumably pump it. The jets from the business end of the pipe are somewhat weak, and the water comes out lukewarm. What's the betting the insides of the brass cylinder thing that's inside the plastic outer casing are all bunged up with Calcium Carbonate? Is it likely that if I could rig up an alternative temporary supply of cold water that's had Calgon tablets dissolved in it I could get it to flush through resulting in a better flow rate with hotter water?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    Being in a similarly hard water area, we've had a water softener since the day we moved in, and that's kept the pipes reasonably clear.  

But that's not going to work retrospectively.

:(

We use non-softened water for the kettle, and go through a kettle a year (even with the little things in the kettle that are supposed to attract all the scale stuff).  So I'd guess that your shower might need replacing.

:( :(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I assume you've checked the showerhead?
  • @TTony but isn't Calgon supposed to de-scale your washing machine?

@chrispy108 yes I do poke CaCO3 out of the showerhead holes with a pin
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324
    Have a bath

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Or vinegar? Or lemon juice?
  • CHRISB50 said:
    Have a bath
    I could, but I prefer the shower. It takes less time to have a shower than it does to fill the bath. And I think it uses less water too.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    @TTony but isn't Calgon supposed to de-scale your washing machine?
    You believe *advertising* claims ???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33846
    Golden.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just saw a Triton electric shower for £50 in Screwfix, I'd suggest it's not worth faffing with the current one that much.
  • @Chrispy108 mine's a "Triton Biarritz" I've no idea how old it is.You may be right, the hassle of taking the brass cylinder thing out is probably greater than the hassle of replacing the whole thing.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Piss into the shower head.

Two problems solved at once.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33846
    I descale my kettle ever 2-3 months with vinegar and it isn't a problem.
    I'm considering a water softening though.
  • @Chrispy108 mine's a "Triton Biarritz" I've no idea how old it is.You may be right, the hassle of taking the brass cylinder thing out is probably greater than the hassle of replacing the whole thing.

I just saw a Triton electric shower for £50 in Screwfix, I'd suggest it's not worth faffing with the current one that much.
    and all Triton couplings are the same distance so you literally take old off put new on, I have changed 6 now, it only takes 10 mins. I just recommend changing like for like Kw in case your'e already pushing it.
  • @strumjoughlamps apparently the brass drum thing is now discontinued as a replacement item but replacing the whole shower box could well be on the cards. Thanks for the info. :)
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    What Kw is the shower?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    Elec showers are pretty poor all round.....but modern ones are a big improvement on the old Tritons. Suggest check the size of Elec supply and cable. And if possible get a more powerful new shower.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2016

Phil, you know the answer is to simply not wash.  Be wary of wearing polyester trousers though as your crotch will rot faster than a ripe avocado.

Go buy 5 litres of brick cleaner (Dilute hydrochloric acid) and take it all apart and let it sit in a bucket of that for a few days, changing it after it stops bubbling.  You could try that kettle descaler, Kilrock is pretty good. Vinegar and Citric acid products won't even touch it. Ideally you want something that will take the skin of your fingers off.  Our water comes from a chalk and it tangles your hair right up.  The old Triton's used to last a year or two at best.

But by the time it gets to a weak water flow, of the head is good, it's usually the pump as you say.

Might be worth getting a few rolls of black MDPE, if you can find it or LDPE irrigation pipe, chucking it up on the roof and feeding it to a used water tank off ebay, you might be listeria or legionaires though.

Also check your pipework flow rate with a 5L bucket and a watch at full bore, it might not have the capability to pump that much water as some pipework, especially upstairs is fed through endless, tiny 90 degree bends and amounts to 0.3 bar, where your mains should at least be a head of 10 metres = 1 bar.

You can probably buy some more concentrated acid somewhere, although you will be on the government's watch list.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Phil, when it gets to the stage you mention, it's probably time for a new one, the 'boiler' gets furred up internally, and they're a bastard to clean.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12427
    Sambostar;968490" said:
    Phil, you know the answer is to simply not wash.  Be wary of wearing polyester trousers though as your crotch will rot faster than a ripe avocado.Go buy 5 litres of brick cleaner (Dilute hydrochloric acid) and take it all apart and let it sit in a bucket of that for a few days, changing it after it stops bubbling.  You could try that kettle descaler, Kilrock is pretty good. Vinegar and Citric acid products won't even touch it. Ideally you want something that will take the skin of your fingers off.  Our water comes from a chalk and it tangles your hair right up.  The old Triton's used to last a year or two at best.But by the time it gets to a weak water flow, of the head is good, it's usually the pump as you say.Might be worth getting a few rolls of black MDPE, if you can find it or LDPE irrigation pipe, chucking it up on the roof and feeding it to a used water tank off ebay, you might be listeria or legionaires though.Also check your pipework flow rate with a 5L bucket and a watch at full bore, it might not have the capability to pump that much water as some pipework, especially upstairs is fed through endless, tiny 90 degree bends and amounts to 0.3 bar, where your mains should at least be a head of 10 metres = 1 bar.You can probably buy some more concentrated acid somewhere, although you will be on the government's watch list.
    Hands up who else thought Sambostar was recommending Phil stopped washing and then douse himself in brick cleaner every now and then?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>