Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Toke me to school, Dad.

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16788
    Its funny ain't it. I did actually grow up surrounded by it as my brother was dealing and mum had MS.

Still never really bothered other than on the odd occasion. but I also have loads of mates who made it a daily habit and never did much else for years. its amazing how many of them are now massively successful in life since giving up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    WezV;973756" said:
    alcohol is everywhere and perfectly legal.

You still don't use it outside the school gates
    You and I wouldn't and most other socially responsible people wouldn't.

It happens though - I'm told by a primary school teacher who used to work in a pretty rough area.

Also I've witnessed a family of four Mum, Dad and very young kids stood outside the Off Licence in the town centre transferring Special Brew into Ribena bottles so they can carry on drinking whilst shopping. I assumed it was for the 'adults' and not the kids!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    getting blitzed on anything is something I left behind a long time ago. IMO something is wrong in your life where you feel you need to alter your perception of it to get through it, whatever the drug may be.

The message I give to my own kids is, if it's an illegal drug, you really have no idea what is in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Snap said:
    getting blitzed on anything is something I left behind a long time ago. IMO something is wrong in your life where you feel you need to alter your perception of it to get through it, whatever the drug may be.

The message I give to my own kids is, if it's an illegal drug, you really have no idea what is in it.
    Getting blitzed or altering your perception with your mates isn't to 'get through' something. Booze is a social lubricant and has been used by humans for eons. Drugs have been used by us for god knows how long too.

Sitting around with your mates getting off your head is done for fun and because people like the feeling. 

I totally agree with the message you're sending to your kids of course.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The big issue I found growing up with the anti-drug messages is that it's all bad:

You're going to die.
    You're going to get addicted.
    You're going to ruin your life.
    You'll be letting your dealer bum you for your next line of marijuanas.
    You're going to get forced to do it etc etc etc

While I'm sure there are some horrendous stories out there, that's not been my experience at all.

The anti drug message is that drugs are shit, no fun to take, someone's going to force your kid/you to take them and then they'll instantly start sucking off strangers for their next fix of spliffs.

While I wouldn't actively encourage anyone to do them I have to say that my experience of drugs has been mostly extremely positive. I'd say my experience of Class A drugs has been overwhelmingly positive. 

Sure I've had some bad comedowns and spent a few quid on it but I've never had better nights out, camping trips (haha) festivals, Thursday night down the local etc than when I've had a few drinks or a bit of the other. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28343
    The sign outside the school that says "keep off the grass" - it's referring to the parents.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snap said:

Wiz'd
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whatever your view on drugs 'legal' vs 'illegal' the fact is that context is everything:
    A couple of pints after work with some mates in the pub, no harm done and arguably lots of benefits. 12 pints on a friday night, being loud and aggressive to strangers, pissing in bins, vomiting, etc... Lots of harm done in many ways.  Having two pints and then driving home with slowed reactions, dangerous and irresponsible.... Same drug, different contexts.

Some will argue a spliff once a month with a couple of good mates at home, listen to music, playing some music and ordering a pizza in... Little harm and potentially some benefits.  Getting stoned and driving home; dangerous and irresponsible.  Same drug, different context.

In regards to the OP, the context; being outside a primary school as children leave or arrive, put this into the 'disgusting and absolutely socially unacceptable' category imho.

Making informed choices about drug draws on a intelligence, knowledge, experience, emotional intelligence and a host of other factors that are not yet developed in children.  Until such time as they are young adults, able to make responsible choices, it is the duty of the parents to 'be the adult in the relationship' and protect them from the dangers inherent in making the wrong choices.

I deal with a number of adults like this everyday and honestly, they don't deserve the label 'parent'.  Sectors of our society are a mess, an absolute disgrace, and this is the perfect example of the complete lack of social and moral responsibility that is responsible for said mess
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Snap said:

This, in letters ten feet high.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    Snap said:

Couldn't agree more - well put.
    lloyd said:
    Snap said:

Getting blitzed or altering your perception with your mates isn't to 'get through' something. Booze is a social lubricant and has been used by humans for eons. Drugs have been used by us for god knows how long too.

Sitting around with your mates getting off your head is done for fun and because people like the feeling. 

This is what I'm getting at really, I don't think it really is fun, not getting out of your face to the point of being almost incapable. Getting a bit lagged up, yeah I get that, but I'm talking about getting mullered, so you are out of it. Ofen the point of no return is a fine line too,

I know its a spectrum, from being sober to being mortalled. I used to get properly bluto'd on all sorts when I was younger, but As I've got older I realised that actually, it ain't really enjoyable. Maybe its an age thing (having siad that, I'm only in my 40s), but looking back I do ask whether getting off my face was actually that enjoyable. Getting a bit daft, yeah I like that, but not the all over the shop state that you often end up in when you are out on the lash/gear/wahtever.

I'm probably being a bit too blakc and white, but hopefully you get me point/
    Snap said:
    lloyd said:
    Snap said:

This is what I'm getting at really, I don't think it really is fun, not getting out of your face to the point of being almost incapable. Getting a bit lagged up, yeah I get that, but I'm talking about getting mullered, so you are out of it. Ofen the point of no return is a fine line too,

I know its a spectrum, from being sober to being mortalled. I used to get properly bluto'd on all sorts when I was younger, but As I've got older I realised that actually, it ain't really enjoyable. Maybe its an age thing (having siad that, I'm only in my 40s), but looking back I do ask whether getting off my face was actually that enjoyable. Getting a bit daft, yeah I like that, but not the all over the shop state that you often end up in when you are out on the lash/gear/wahtever.

I'm probably being a bit too blakc and white, but hopefully you get me point/
    Yeah I take your point, being completely and utterly destroyed is something that only the young do though isn't it?

I suppose it depends on what your line is and what you think being too pissed/wrecked is for it to stop being fun.

I've never enjoyed the experience of being incapable, puking my guts up and blanking out, but that's only happened a few times to me. 

I've got so pissed/wrecked to be 'out of it' and enjoyed it-still do on occasion.

I can look back and ask myself if lots of things I did 20 years ago were really enjoyable-probably not if I did it tomorrow but at the time it must have been or I wouldn't have done it.

I'm not just talking about booze and drugs here either-I used to love playing with action figures when I was 8, I don't think I'd get the same pleasure today....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    lmao,.

on getting wrecked - there are still a lot of people who aren't kids, I think, who go out and get trollied regularly. IMO that's a problem.

For all that, I wouldn't change a thing from my err, more adventurous days shall we say.

Someone once asked me, long time ago,- why do you have to get wrecked to have a good time? Which, the more you think about it, is a reasonable question.
    Snap said:
    lmao,.

on getting wrecked - there are still a lot of people who aren't kids, I think, who go out and get trollied regularly. IMO that's a problem.

Yeah fair point, I'd agree that those people have a problem.

Again it depends what your line (haha) is and where you draw it? One mans trollied is another mans acceptable and enjoyable Saturday night I guess?

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    On the subject of getting trollied, I think it's fair to say that my wife and I have not exactly set our son a good example over the years.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Smoking around kids is not something I approve of these days, and yes I was a smoker when mine were young, I gave myself rules but today they would feel inadequate so hypocrite I was/am. It has effected my health despite knowing at the time that it wouldn't. ;-) 
    On to subject of Cannabis,  I've lost some good friends to it. Only one suicide but many who are just not the people they were and I don't wish to expose myself to what they have become. they made their choice so I had to make mine. I can't join up to the notion that it doesn't hurt people or have knock on effects to society, I'm an advocate of live and let live, but the propaganda about 'safe' drugs is essentially proven wrong in time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Having spent the last couple of months coming off legal drugs (co-codamol,) I've got to say that if it wasn't for the dope I'd never have survived the experience 

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Having spent the last couple of months coming off legal drugs (co-codamol,) I've got to say that if it wasn't for the dope I'd never have survived the experience 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looks like you've a bit more time to go Jooky ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited February 2016
    There is nothing worse than the smell of cannabis in a public place in my opinion.  School or not, its a disgusting habit and plain stinks, end of. Stink your own house out, not the air I want to breathe.

Go for a dog walk or a day out somewhere and the next thing you know some chavvy scumbags are walking around in hoodies making everywhere stink and thinking they are being really cool. Yep, cause all the really cool and successful people in the world smoke weed dont they??? Not criminals living in council houses. 

If you want to be a druggie scumbag thats your choice, but theres no need to shove it in everyone elses face too.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom