I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords

What's Hot
eSullyeSully Frets: 981
edited February 2016 in Off Topic
Atlas, the next generation ... 

Anyone else feel a tiny bit uncomfortable when it walked out the front door ;)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That is weird! I felt genuinely sorry for the robot when that guy tormented it with the hockey stick and then pushed it over. Didn't it look kind of sad as it went out of the door at the end of the video?
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    That's extremely impressive. When it nearly loses its balance in the snow and recovers without falling over is really close to how a human copes with unexpected upsets.

I'd have been worried if it had got up and twatted the guy when he pushed it over though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    That is weird! I felt genuinely sorry for the robot when that guy tormented it with the hockey stick and then pushed it over. Didn't it look kind of sad as it went out of the door at the end of the video?
    They should have overdubbed this music as it walked out, in slow motion for effect

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Amazing stuff, manual labour will be a thing of the past one day....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    The guy who bullied the robot with the hockey stick better run a mile when our new overlords arrive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I imagine it having this internal conversation with itself

"Just rise above it, wait for the new age war, now isn't the time, you must keep it a secret"
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    joeyowen said:
    I imagine it having this internal conversation with itself

"Just rise above it, wait for the new age war, now isn't the time, you must keep it a secret"
    "That's it, attack me with a damn hockey stick, I don't even get paid ... I am out of here, up yours STEEVVVVEEEEE"
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Does nobody else think it's worrying that Boston Dynamics is owned by Skynet Google?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2016
    lloyd said:

Yeah, we've heard that before a few times over the last two, 300 years and what with ever increasing and denser world, local and urban populations and all the wealth being held firmly at the top, I would say we are pretty much totally fucked in the long term.

Did they not say that about steam engines, tractors and computers?

Maybe they could do all the mining and wool milling and heavy industrial work so that all the people in the towns that have grown around these industries can get great 'Jobs' in the service sector or move further south. 

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    edited February 2016
    I particularly like the way they designed it to walk like a human desperately in need of a poo....but was too late !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Wibble 2.0
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24348
    mgaw said:
    I particularly like the way they designed it to walk like a human desperately in need of a poo....but was too late !!
    I was going to say the same thing !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    I love the way she does that little move after putting the 2nd box on the shelf. Ta-daah!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Sambostar said:
    lloyd said:

Yeah, we've heard that before a few times over the last two, 300 years and what with ever increasing and denser world, local and urban populations and all the wealth being held firmly at the top, I would say we are pretty much totally fucked in the long term.

Maybe they could do all the mining and wool milling and heavy industrial work so that all the people in the towns that have grown around these industries can get great 'Jobs' in the service sector or move further south. 

The decline in manual labour due to machinery doing a job better than a human can is pretty well evidenced.

Can't work out if agreeing with me or not....We'll be long dead by the time anything too bad happens so leave the lights on and drive that 4ltr car I say.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Impressive. I wonder if they can make one that looks like me who can sit in my chair at home and just reply "yes dear" to the missusses verbal ministerings....while the real me is watching footy down the boozer!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2016
    lloyd said:
    Sambostar said:
    lloyd said:

The decline in manual labour due to machinery doing a job better than a human can is pretty well evidenced.

Can't work out if agreeing with me or not....We'll be long dead by the time anything too bad happens so leave the lights on and drive that 4ltr car I say.
    Neither really, you are right and the future is bleak as in better and better times, history has proven that wealth distribution seems to get worse and worse and more unequal.  So all we'll have to look forward to is jobless ghettos, mass unemployment and gated communities.  We'll probably become a prison colony anyway.  It's already started as all the criminals of the world seem to arrive here.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    mgaw said:
    ^^This!!!!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4550
    edited February 2016
    She tried to warn us ... http://imgur.com/gallery/tNwS4N5

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Auralnauts are awesome
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    A new year, a new robot.  This is really impressive to be honest.  Jaw on the floor stuff.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom