Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your favourite Clean Amps?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72774
    Skarloey said:
    Skarloey said:
    Session Sessionette.

Who loled that? 

They're great. Just be careful with the treble. Never liked the drive section much, but those cleans are absolutely fine. 

Come on, 'fess up and we can have it out. 
    Me :D.

Surprised you didn't guess - I'm well-known for my hatred of these boxy, nasal-sounding horrors that epitomise bad solid-state tone ;).

I do admit the clean channel isn't as bad as the overdrive, but you still need to turn the bass full up, the mid off and the treble to somewhere above halfway to get anything remotely tolerable out of them, and they never have any of that depth and 'give' than a decent valve amp does even running clean.

Give me a solid-state Peavey any day. In fact, someone on here did a while back :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    Some weird interpretions of clean Amps here...LJ20? AC30? Both crunch machines to me. My fave cleans are a DR103. It just is.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Some weird interpretions of clean Amps here...LJ20? AC30? Both crunch machines to me. My fave cleans are a DR103. It just is.
    The AC30 has beautiful cleans if you don't turn it up too much. At the point it starts to crunch it's really quite loud, probably above the level most people can gig with these days.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Fender '65 Twin Custom 15
    Roland Jazz Chorus JC77
    Two Rock Coral 50
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1636
    Phil_aka_Pip;984366" said:
    shaunm said:

Marshall 100w plexi

for certain values of "clean". tbh I've never thought any plexi amp was that clean - they may sound like it on stage in the context of being backed off so not so dirty, but when recording at home they've never seemed clean enough ...
    its the 60's plexi heads that I mean. I find them clean up to a point and it's that sound I love. Really glassy
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    Lazy J 20 - has a great warm clean tone

If you want something a bit more "blackface" with slightly less mids then Princeton Reverb just ahead of Deluxe Reverb.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @icbm I suspected as much, you cheeky rascal. ;)

I don't think you're being entirely fair though.  The tone may be bad IN SOME HANDS, but let's face it you can say that about anything. Give some blokes 5k's worth of amp and they'll still sound like a wasp farting into an empty coke can. 

Either way, I'm no tone snob, but I'm not an ignoramus either. I simply know what works for me. What I heard in the Session is an amp that is as quirky as all hell but which- and this is the crucial thing- once set up right I think really worked well in a band mix. I think it's got the most sensitive controls of any amp I know though, and does require work, but once I got the clean sound I wanted I was all set and very happy. I heard plenty of depth and clarity for my liking too. 

Yes, that's fair. I do really detest them, but on the other hand I can get sounds I like out of Peavey solid-state amps - and I know a lot of people feel the exact opposite.

Neither of them have that complex depth and 'give' that you get from a nice big valve amp like a Fender Twin running clean though - nor does any solid-state amp I've ever heard. Of course it isn't always what you want, either.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    65 Super Reverb
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

My favourite is my Silver Face Twin reverb with JBL's ... a fine clean sound, to window breaking levels.

Always surprises me what a fantastically detailed clean tone, (up to around 40% volume) my 1968 JMP50 has, even through a same year 4 x 12. 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Deluxe Reverb, Carr Rambler.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Gassage said:

Ive often wondered how we use our Lazy Js differently mate... Rarely do I hit crunch. Instead very warm slightly break up sounds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    Gassage said:

Ive often wondered how we use our Lazy Js differently mate... Rarely do I hit crunch. Instead very warm slightly break up sounds
    ...exactly...so not clean!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4307
    BF Super, love the way the 10's behave.
    DrZ EZG
    DrZ Maz
    TR MS Sig
  • shaunm said:
    Phil_aka_Pip;984366" said:
    shaunm said:

Marshall 100w plexi

for certain values of "clean". tbh I've never thought any plexi amp was that clean - they may sound like it on stage in the context of being backed off so not so dirty, but when recording at home they've never seemed clean enough ...
    its the 60's plexi heads that I mean. I find them clean up to a point and it's that sound I love. Really glassy
    Yes, I've got two. I have to use the lower right i/p with the vol pot backed well off to get it anything like as clean as I can with an AC30.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1636
    Phil_aka_Pip;984833" said:
    shaunm said:

Phil_aka_Pip;984366" said:shaunm said:

Marshall 100w plexi

Yes, I've got two. I have to use the lower right i/p with the vol pot backed well off to get it anything like as clean as I can with an AC30.
    And that's the thing with the OP's question. Our own interpretation of what clean is.

Funk players clean is unusable to me for example. Jazz clean? Love the sound but I can't use it in my band. Jimi clean tones, perfect!
    To me clean means no audible clipping at all - no more, no less. Any amp will do that provided it's below the volume where picking transients don't exceed the headroom of any stage. For larger non-MV amps, even ones famous for their dirty sound, this can be pretty loud.

This is not strictly clean in a hi-fi sense since 'harmonic distortion' is not clean, and a lot of clean guitar amps have quite a lot of it - eg Marshalls, Voxes, Tweed Fenders etc. But they will all certainly do clean sounds in the sense of no clipping.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

ICBM said:
    To me clean means no audible clipping at all - no more, no less. Any amp will do that provided it's below the volume where picking transients don't exceed the headroom of any stage. For larger non-MV amps, even ones famous for their dirty sound, this can be pretty loud.

This is not strictly clean in a hi-fi sense since 'harmonic distortion' is not clean, and a lot of clean guitar amps have quite a lot of it - eg Marshalls, Voxes, Tweed Fenders etc. But they will all certainly do clean sounds in the sense of no clipping.
    That's kinda my preference too. The clean on the Sig X isn't quite there, particularly when compared with some other amps, but it is still nice enough. I think they're doing a revision of the amp to improve the cleans too.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

If you have the Lazy J just at the point where it breaks up a bit when you hit the strings hard, you get the most lovely warm clean when you hit them softly.  I know it's probably not strictly speaking a genuine clean but it sounds amazing.  It takes pedals really well when set like that as well.
  • crunchman said:
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

If you have the Lazy J just at the point where it breaks up a bit when you hit the strings hard, you get the most lovely warm clean when you hit them softly.  I know it's probably not strictly speaking a genuine clean but it sounds amazing.  It takes pedals really well when set like that as well.
    3 chords and the truth. Spot on.