Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Show your Bicycles.....

What's Hot
1171819202123»

Comments

• m_c said:
    After a bit of deliberation and delay getting the frame, I finally got this built up today.

It's very nice :-)

Oh my god, that looks like so much fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Have a wow from me too! I've been pining for a full suspension again - hardtail just isn't the same fun. I always bloody do this!
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    It is lots of fun.
    Still trying to get the suspension dialled in, which is a bit more time consuming than I'd like, as everything except the compression settings on the fork needs an allen key. I can't just stop and twiddle a dial :-/

I just need to sell the old downhill bike now, and possibly an organ or two to pay for it...
    edited July 2019
    Anyone here commute by road bike and if so any tips for making it bearable in bad weather? We've just got rid of my wife's car to reduce our main outgoings but there are days where she'll need to use mine for ferrying the kids about a few times a month. So I'll have to bike to & from the train station at each end which isn't a huge distance, but still enough to get drenched if it's bad. Guessing mudguards are a standard fitting plus some puncture protected tyres, conti gatorskins or similar? 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    TTBZ said:
    Anyone here commute by road bike and if so any tips for making it bearable in bad weather? We've just got rid of my wife's car to reduce our main outgoings but there are days where she'll need to use mine for ferrying the kids about a few times a month. So I'll have to bike to & from the train station at each end which isn't a huge distance, but still enough to get drenched if it's bad. Guessing mudguards are a standard fitting plus some puncture protected tyres, conti gatorskins or similar? 
    Get a waterproof jacket and wear it. Also, waterproof pannier(s) and store some dry clothes, shoes and a towel in there. Figure out how to keep the pack size down so it's not too cumbersome.

You also need to learn about changing facilities either at the station, on the train, or somewhere nearby. I've tried many options, and prefer the ones where I can get into dry clothes asap. But if I need to cycle at the other end I reluctantly stay in wet clothes until I get to the office.
  • TTBZ said:

I use a touring bike, which is sort of like a road bike, but it has 40mm tyres, a steel frame and flared drops. 

All of this basically means heavier, slower and more comfy. Get some mudguards (which I finally fitted) and a rack and waterproof panniers and you're away. 

My girlfriend has just bought this and, based on her reaction today, is thrilled - basically a slightly beefed road bike with hydraulic discs and points for (now fitted) mudguard and rack. The flat handles are a similar heigh to the flat part of my drops, so still fairly relaxed compared to a "proper" road bike. 

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/rapid-2-2018

I also have a *tiny* altura jacket. It's bright red and reflective, and packs into a tiny lightweight bag that can go anywhere. If it's raising, put it on :) didn't cost a lot in the same and this time of year you can often get waterproofs cheap! 
  • For tyres, look at slimes inner tubes if you cycle frequently or, as most folk do, just carry a spare and repair it when you get home. 
    It does seem like a good excuse to get a nice steel singlespeed but unfortunately the idea was to save money not buy more bikes :) I'll just use my  normal road bike for now but will definitely be fitting some mudguards! Have a couple of softshell jackets already. Maybe some shorts with waterproof back/arse wouldn't be a bad idea just in case?
  • TTBZ said:
    It does seem like a good excuse to get a nice steel singlespeed but unfortunately the idea was to save money not buy more bikes :) I'll just use my  normal road bike for now but will definitely be fitting some mudguards! Have a couple of softshell jackets already. Maybe some shorts with waterproof back/arse wouldn't be a bad idea just in case?

Luckily there are sks raceblades and similar - if your bike is a Giant they have matching guards usually :) 

I don't have waterproof shorts or trousers and it's a problem... Means I won't cycle tomorrow in thunderstorms because it's that bad. I'm ordering some when I find some in a sale!