Source Audio Nemesis vs Strymon ElCapistan

What's Hot
All!!! Stop what you're doing and advise!!! Erm, please...

I have space on my 2nd Nano+ board and I was thinking either a Nemesis or an El Capistan. On the board already I have

Dr Scientist Cleanness>Rat 2>Red Panda Particle>free space>Neunaber Stereo Wet (to which I'll probably add an ExP at some point). All will be powered by an MXR Brick velcro'd underneath.

So how would you fill the space: El Capistan or Nemesis, and why?

Thanks all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Nemesis will be a lot more flexible as it's more of a rival to the timeline .

I had an el cap and it was good but didn't blow me away
  • @monquixote The flexibility, yup, this was exactly my thinking, and I have the Timeline on my other Nano board. The demos I've seen aren't really that good, but if the tape emulation is good on the Nemesis, I may just have done with it and pull the trigger.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    edited February 2016
    I've tried both (although haven't owned either):

The Nemesis is a very flexible delay with lots of usable sounds although only a few actually blew me away (the Helix and Noise Tape are amazing).

The El Cap is probably my favourite delay sound in a stompbox. Not as versatile as the Nemesis but still has a wide range of tape sounds. The ability to get oscillation by holding down the tap switch is great, as is the looper which degrades over time.
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I really need to read the Strymons manuals more
  • @Moss So you think if I got the Nemesis I'd have far more options but with the El Cap the quality of the fewer options is considerably higher?
    It depends on what you want. If you want brilliant sounding tape, choose the El Cap but if you want decent sounding tape and lots of versatility, choose the Nemesis.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    How about the Flight Time delay? I think it sounds better than the el cap, and way more going on in a relatively small footprint. I just happen to be selling one for a steal too ;)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The flight time is one of the best mono delays I have ever heard
    But I find it a ball ache to adjust with the wee fiddly buttons onstage
    It does sound amazing though
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
    edited February 2016
    Ah @BBBlues if there was only room on the board and the right power supply for it, I'd definitely consider it. There's a 4-4.5" space and an MXR Brick underneath the board, so only 9V or 18V, and 400mA may be too much for it. Here's the board:

http://i.imgur.com/t8UlznP.jpg
  • guitarpologuitarpolo Frets: 120
    edited February 2016
    Consider the Diamond Counterpoint too....the nicest sounding delay I've tried (including flight time and timeline). It's impossible to get a sound that's not warm and lovely.
    Disclaimer: I am selling one so am a bit biased, but to show that I'm not just making a sales pitch, I recommend you buy Preston61's instead:-)

Ah @BBBlues if there was only room on the board and the right power supply for it, I'd definitely consider it. There's a 4-4.5" space and an MXR Brick underneath the board, so only 9V or 18V, and 400mA may be too much for it. Here's the board:

http://i.imgur.com/t8UlznP.jpg
    How are you finding the Kilt?
  • @Moss The Kilt has been a godsend. The boost is excellent and is always on, and the dirt side of it is sublime & so versatile. It's absolutely perfect for a small board. Fantastic pedal.
  • @guitarpolo Is the BBD emulation good enough to bump the Minifooger from that board?
  • I prescribe a better amplifier ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @meltedbuzzbox Oh you card. When I grow up, I want a Twin Reverb :)
  • You can get a twin for £300 sir
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @guitarpolo Is the BBD emulation good enough to bump the Minifooger from that board?

I haven't tried the minifooger, so couldn't say. The counterpoint is certainly certainly worth a look though, so long as you don't need presets.
  • @guitarpolo Listened to some Counterpoint demos, and very impressed. I don't think I'd mind having to tweak the dials, not bothered about presets for this board: I already have a Particle!
  • Whilst on the Diamond theme, Memory lane jr is awesome. Though my favourite is the Caroline Kilobyte. Also have a Timeline and H9 on the board.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
    edited February 2016

@stefken I absolutely love my Timeline. The sounds I can get from it into my Flint are just beautiful.

Also, update: the 2nd Nano + board is now

JHS The Kilt>Moog MF Delay>Red Panda Particle>free space for El Cap/other delay>Neunaber Stereo Wet.

I'll be looking to add an ExP to this board and my H9 to either board as and when required. As I've not yet been bowled over by the H9 tape delay emulations (though they are good), I think the El Capistan is very much the favourite just now.