Billy Duffy

What's Hot

Comments

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    This is pretty cool.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Huge fan of The Cult here, too.  They're a big part of why I always wanted to play guitar.

I've never seen them live, but looking at live videos on Youtube, it always strikes me that Ian Astbury does this weird thing where he "shortens" what he sings live, which kind of spoils what I expect I should be hearing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    edited May 2017
    Uh-Oh...dissenting opinion time!

*Death Cult EP - Yes.
    *Dreamtime - Yes.
    *Resurrection Joe - Yes.
    *Love - Yes.
    *Anything after that - Sub-AC/DC lumbering tosh.

Jeez, post-Love, I also remember that Balaam and the Angel (who were always first in the queue when looking for a passing bandwagon) wasted no time in "finding rock 'n' roll". Dreadful.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    ^^they're virtually separate bands. The Sanctuary era Cult and the sub-AC/DC lumbering tosh era. But being a sucker for sub-AC/DC lumbering tosh I love both. Saw them live in Slough in the mid-80s and they were tremendous.

Ludicrous, but tremendous

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Nothing wrong with a bit of lumbering tosh, but it's a stretch to apply that to Sonic Temple. Each to their own of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Love is one of my Favourite Albums from my teenage years...the Album was given to me by one my best friends. He was killed by a bus hitting him when he was 14..so it has special meaning to me
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    I got into them via dreamtime and then Love.can still smell the ink from the vinyl sleeve!
    Bought the Love' Ltd edition cd boxset. Really cool.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    It's great to see a player like this when you sit through the utter bollocks that some of the player talk - or some of the mentally expensive booteek stuff they "have" to use to get their tone.

It's refreshing to see a bona fide guitar hero who's also down to earth and using off the shelf stuff that is attainable for all
    Don't think that his use of off the shelf gear is that noteable. Most of the successful players I admire do it with alot cheaper gear than a lot on this forum.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited May 2017
    Im a massive fan. I also feel a kinship with that whole side of liking Classic Rock, but also embracing other stuff.
    This is pretty cool.

I so have a Falcon on my shopping list.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Me too. I want the narrow bodied Black Falcon with the pin centre block. Its £3K, but even my missus likes it.
    Aye - a center block DC Falcon is what my heart greatly desires.  One day.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I just sang backing vocals on an album with Billy Duffy....not heard much of his stuff before but he's a great guitar player!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:
    I just sang backing vocals on an album with Billy Duffy....not heard much of his stuff before but he's a great guitar player!
    Pics or you're Ian Astbury.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    bodhi said:
    miserneil said:
    Pics or you're Ian Astbury.
    Ha! Alas, he did his parts in LA with Steve Jones while I added my parts in the UK so we didn't meet in person. The miracles of modern recording!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    Do tell more.  Now I want to know!
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Love this thread. As I've said on another thread on here before, It occurred to me a while back that I listened to the Cult waaaaay more than I ever listened to G'n'R, Motley Crue and the rest, probably more than AC/DC at the time as they weren't that great through that period. Without doubt one of my all time favourites and probably a much bigger influence on me than I ever realised.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I'm a huge Billy Duffy fan.
    He has made an awful lot out of half a dozen chords and two positions of pentatonic minor.
    There is something to be said for 'sticking to the script'.

My favourite album is Sonic Temple- Soldier Blue is one of the best rock songs of all time.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1846
    Massive cult-o-phile me.

Seem them many many times - everyone should check out the almost forgotten 1994 album "the cult" they went all leftfield and indie but blended it beautifully with their own DNA. They've almost disowned that record and a  it like ceremony, they never do any of it live, but there are some total stormers on there.

as for Duffys ability, the solo on Earth Mofo off Ceremony winds up and up and by the end he is more than a match for any of his contemporaries. 

i think Sonic temple is my favourite too. Soul Asylum is their "Kashmir" and sounds epic to this day
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    In the interest of not harbouring unfounded/ill-informed/biased opionions (I've not listened to any post-Love Cult in many years), I've spent some considerable time revisiting their post-1985 back catalogue over the past few days.

Sorry, but...

I
    Just
    Don't
    Get
    It.

Jesus F*cking Christ on a Honda 90...Stodgy stompers one and all, copied verbatim from the Ersatz Guide to Rawk'n'Roll by Numbers.

I'll get me coat. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/