Billy Duffy

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    The Cult are a damn fine pub rock band. Simples.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    The only album of theirs I like these days post Love is Sonic Temple and I used to be well into The Cult having gotten into them via SDC...
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1846
    In the interest of not harbouring unfounded/ill-informed/biased opionions (I've not listened to any post-Love Cult in many years), I've spent some considerable time revisiting their post-1985 back catalogue over the past few days.

Sorry, but...

I
    Just
    Don't
    Get
    It.

Jesus F*cking Christ on a Honda 90...Stodgy stompers one and all, copied verbatim from the Ersatz Guide to Rawk'n'Roll by Numbers.

I'll get me coat. :(

Yeah but nobody does it better 

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Get all that, but I still love Electric. It's flawed, but it's got same great songs on it and was a big album for me when I started playing in (funnily enough) pub rock bands.

Point about Billy Duffy is how good he is live though. Proper rock guitarist. Still, I think, best live guitarist Ive ever seen in terms of impact (apart from, maybe, Prince)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    The Cult are genius. They fused alternative styles with Classic Rock long before anyone else. They are peerless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2557

Had to share this. Billy Duffy and Johnny Marr on the stage together. Fantastic stuff.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited May 2017
    I finally bought the pre Rick Rubin version of the Electric album, Peace (well Electric Peace that came out a while ago). Still recognisable as the songs off Electric but very different...and also rather brilliant. A testimony to the quality of the songs and the guys that wrote them.

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    cbilly22  wow that's rather good!

Am now finding myself wanting a Sonic Temple stlyeee black Les Paul. Is there a reasonably close off-the-shelf model?
    stonevibe said:
    The Cult are a damn fine pub rock band. Simples.
    Stadium pub rock. Works 4 me,
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited May 2017
    pmbomb said:

Am now finding myself wanting a Sonic Temple stlyeee black Les Paul. Is there a reasonably close off-the-shelf model?
    Pretty much any Les Paul Custom- just replace the pickups (Billy uses Duncans- I'd go for a JB/Jazz or a CustomCustom/Jazz) and knobs.
    edited May 2017
    pmbomb said:

@pmbomb Great isn't it. Funnily enough I have two copies of the Electric Peace album, this thread has reminded me I need to sell one. PM me if you are interested.

Will take it. I already ordered it on Amazon, have cancelled but may take a day for that to be confirmed. PM ->
    pmbomb said:
    Will take it. I already ordered it on Amazon, have cancelled but may take a day for that to be confirmed. PM ->

Replied, cheers
    octatonic said:
    pmbomb said:

Pretty much any Les Paul Custom- just replace the pickups (Billy uses Duncans- I'd go for a JB/Jazz or a CustomCustom/Jazz) and knobs.
    Thx.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited May 2017
    Watched his rig rundown and an interview ( from about a year ago IIRC) on YouTube recently. Searches... ... ...some nice stories. I have fond memories of seeing The Cult live a couple of times a million years ago and Electric was one my favourite albums for years.
    Like Billy even more after watching that Rig Rundown...best quote.... "That's a Boss DM ..ehh...something"
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    He's ace. He comes across as someone whose comfortable in their own skin. A perfect foil for Ian Astbury. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited May 2017
    I liked it when reviewer asked if he ever turned on the two drive pedals at the same time.

Answer..."only when I do it by accident...it's dark on stage and I have a big white guitar hanging off me you know"..
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Owing to cbilly's helpfulness and Amazon's inability to cancel an order, I now have 2 CD copies of Electric Peace. One is free to collect if you can get it (Dorking, Surrey).