Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SG Obsession

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Rox;434138" said:
    Trotter said:

Rox;434091" said:Have you considered that a Cherry red finish would really help..?  ;)

Got one of those too :)

Seeing as the cream SG has red bodily fluids on it, I hope the red one doesn't have cream bodily fluids on it...  :D
    Brilliant :) have a lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited December 2014
    Trotter said:
    Brilliant :) have a lol
    You set the gag up... I'll knock it down.  :D
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited December 2014
    Its funny but I never used to like the look of SG's and never had any hankering to have one...until about 18 mths ago when the desire for an SG just hit me and started to grow, influenced by a work colleague who raved about his '63 SG.

So I hunted round for an SG Standard in Heritage Cherry and picked up a 2006 one for £450. Case was a bit tatty but sound, and the SG was in good condition but needed a good set up. It had a very nice tone, very comfortable neck with rosewood fingerboard, and was way lighter than my LP Custom. And strangely I now really like its size and shape and even its plastic tulip headed machine heads. Not as refined as the Grovers on my LP Custom, but they actually stay in tune pretty well...certainly well enough for me not to need to change them.

One pro-set up later its now one of my very favourite go to guitars. Its really easy to play with easy access to the top frets, has a nice action, good balance, and a stonkingly good tone thats great for any style from blues and rock to jazz and funk. And of course its brill for ACDC stuff! Oh and no neck dive!

So although its only taken me about 40 years to see the light I'm now a firm convert to the charms and virtues of the Gibson SG - it's a really versatile, honest, no-nonsense work-horse. I never thought I would be...but I am!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Standard for me. Broke/repaired neck one from 2000 iirc (before they switched to Nashville bridges). 400 quid on ebay and worth every penny. It's had a full rewire, new nut, a set of alnico 3 57 Classics, then Faber locking bridge and tailpiece, Tonepros Klusons and a Hiscox case. All of that was almost cost-neutral after selling the old Gibson hardware and it's worth WAY more than 400 to me as an instrument. It'll play anything and sound great, and it's light enough to play all night without trouble.

No neck dive either :D 

Gibson SG

Gibson SG
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    My two - sadly the red P90'd guitar rarely gets played... it may be for sale at the right price.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/F0EC2D20-921D-478C-8AE0-E1BB3E5FF8F4_zpsprdkyksg.jpg
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Here are three of mine.

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    impmann;434796" said:
    My two - sadly the red P90'd guitar rarely gets played... it may be for sale at the right price.
    What be the right price :D
    edited December 2014
    impmann said:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/F0EC2D20-921D-478C-8AE0-E1BB3E5FF8F4_zpsprdkyksg.jpg
    @impmann Not again!!  :D

It's a cracking guitar, and no mistake.  :)
  • Bogwhoppit;434913" said:
    Here are three of mine.
    Lovely collection :)

• Thanks guys… due to this thread I had a moment of weakness and bought a Vintage brand SG Jr copy that I was offered!
    (The previous owner sent it Raygun Relics to get "the treatment" and it's now a TV yellow colour).

It arrives on tuesday & I'll add photos when it comes… My wife is going to KILL ME!!
    stimpsonslostson;435691" said:
    Thanks guys… due to this thread I had a moment of weakness and bought a Vintage brand SG Jr copy that I was offered!(The previous owner sent it Raygun Relics to get "the treatment" and it's now a TV yellow colour).

It arrives on tuesday & I'll add photos when it comes… My wife is going to KILL ME!!
    If that's all she does to you, you're getting away lightly!

=))
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    My other half doesn't mind if I spend my spare money on guitars.  I don't have any spare money very often, but there we are... :D

The Pelham SG was all my birthday money.. :)

@stimpsonslostson Looking forward to seeing pictures of the Vintage..  :)
  • blueskunk said:
    Get a 60s neck with p90s. Game over. ( or the 61 reissue)
      I have the 50's Tribute with P90's.  As you say- game over!  No balance issues at all, and the neck joint is great.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited December 2014
    THIS arrived today! VERY happy with it.
    It's a Vintage brand SG Jr clone that has been resprayed TV yellow, reliced and rebranded as a "Raygun". I know that relicing is an issue for some, but this it is how I bought it. I'm happy with it. Let's leave it at that eh?
    edited December 2014
    @stimpsonslostson - Seeing as I started the thread, I declare it a relic-friendly zone.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That yellow peril looks very cool-congrats! ;)