Any love for the Catalinbread DLS III?

What's Hot
chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
edited February 2016 in FX
I am considering one of these based upon reviews and videos but a quick search here reveals mostly people selling them so I guess it's not hitting the spot for some. Any I thoughts or comments? I would be using it to give me Marshall crunch from a Fender-ish clean base. Particularly interested in the Super Bass sounds. Thanks in advance
This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    They're OK. But the weehbo range are the daddies for Marshalls in a box, specifically the JTM and JMP. Had my JTM a good while now and cannot imagine a better Marshall favoured pedal

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The DLS is a fine pedal, but I didn't find it hugely better than the TC Dark Matter which is a quarter the price.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    Thanks. Just seen one go for £122 on eBay which is not far off the new price, I was wondering if it might go for less. Will check out the other suggestions too. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Also check out the Xotic SL Drive pedal, it will give you a whole choice of Marshall sounds.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12421
    I've got one and I love it. Pushes a clean amp straight into Angus territory. I must admit I haven't tried any other plexi pedals though. £122 is pretty steep s/h, I picked mine up through the classifieds on here recently, think I paid £90.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I love it, and prefer it to the SL drive.

I gig with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe running clean and get my main crunch sound from a DLS set to Super Bass. That's pretty much my core sound for most of the set (pub rock covers).
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534

I gig with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe running clean and get my main crunch sound from a DLS set to Super Bass. That's pretty much my core sound for most of the set (pub rock covers).

Out of interest how do the two pedals compare? What do you prefer about the DLS? I haven't tried one and am pretty interested, do I need a third Catalinbread pedal on my board? I could be tempted!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Our resident MIAB aficionado, Photek, seems to think the Ramble Drive is the way to go if you want Marshall crunch from a pedal.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    I had a DLS mark 2 and it was alright but nothing to write home about
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1157
    edited March 2016
    +1 for the Marvel drive :-)
    The Marvel demos certainly sound great. Looks like you can only get them directly from the USA? Not as expensive as some boxes though.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    zepp76 said:

Out of interest how do the two pedals compare? What do you prefer about the DLS? I haven't tried one and am pretty interested, do I need a third Catalinbread pedal on my board? I could be tempted!
    @zepp76 the DLS has bass/middle/treble which I much prefer to the single tone control on the SL drive. I just managed to dial in a great sound straight away with the DLS, and it's been a constant fixture on my gigging board for ages now. I got a SL drive late last year to try (guitarguitar had a special offer on them) and while it's a decent pedal it just didn't edge the DLS off my board.

That's my concern re the SL and even the Ramble, I have found that a mid and bass control is invaluable for tuning things just right.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    They're decent pedals. S/h prices are usually quite low. 

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    on MIAB pedals, low end grunt is a must - hence bass/mid controls.

edited March 2016
    Doing a bit of experimenting this evening I dug my Blackstar HT-Dual out of the cupboard where it has been since I last used it for some recording a few years back. The difference between this and the solid state OD pedals (e.g. MXR Custom Badass OD) I have been using is night and day, wondering why it hasn't been on my board these past years. Size and PSU I guess. May have to stop gassing for a bit and get back into this for a while and see how it sounds with the band.
  • +1 again for the Ramble Fx Marvel Drive