Amps, Headphones and Confusion

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I've been down this rabbit hole before...and i will share my experience...dont buy an amp for headphone requirements. You will have to compromise, either headphone sound, or amps sound.

my suggestion...buy the amp you like the sound of with out headphones.

then buy something like a Zoom G3 which has a headphone out, and sounds much better than most amp headphone output.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

"I've been down this rabbit hole before...and i will share my experience...dont buy an amp for headphone requirements. You will have to compromise, either headphone sound, or amps sound."

Not true, as ever, "it depends"! The HT-5 has a headphone output that is completely separate from the amplifier's main signal path, i.e. guitar goes through ICs, valves, voicing, TMB and ISF, onto PI then output valve. Headphone feed is picked off and EM'ed then goes to a completely separate HP driver circuit.

No compromise to either section.

A rather neat gating circuit lkills the PA when cans are plugged in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    edited March 2016
    ecc83 said:

"I've been down this rabbit hole before...and i will share my experience...dont buy an amp for headphone requirements. You will have to compromise, either headphone sound, or amps sound."

Not true, as ever, "it depends"! The HT-5 has a headphone output that is completely separate from the amplifier's main signal path, i.e. guitar goes through ICs, valves, voicing, TMB and ISF, onto PI then output valve. Headphone feed is picked off and EM'ed then goes to a completely separate HP driver circuit.

I had an HT5 although I sold it quite a while ago.  The emulated out was ok but you can get just as good (if not better) with the free version of amplitube and just plug the headphones into your computer.

Then you have the flexibility to get an amp you like the sound of the best, rather than worry about whether it has an emulated out.  For me the VHT Special 6 head I have now is a much better sounding amp than the HT5 head I had before.  Your taste may be different but I'd buy purely on how good the amp sounds.

The VHT is significanly cheaper than the Blackstar as well so you could always put the difference towards a dummy load with an emulated out - which you would then have the option of using with other amps in the future.
  • Its not cheap but you could buy the amp of your dreams, load it down with a reactive load and use the Torpedo stuff for headphones.
    Torpedo Live/CAB etc etc.

That's what I'm doing
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The first one I ever heard of was Tom Scholtz Rock-man
    I remember it being a massive deal at the time
    That must have been mid-late 80s
    edited March 2016
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockman_(amplifier)

There you go 1982
    I'm sooo old
    Sorry the link does not work with the underscore
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Our singer said More Than a Feeling was the reason for punk. Yet how many punks designed a head phone amp?

My amp shaped rabbit hole is looking for a particular feature which will somehow make it all singing and dancing but never is. Buy the amp you like and think about something separate for headphones if need be. Having to have headphones plugged into an amp can be quite limiting as you become entangled in wires. Using a pc/ tablet as the source of your sound for headphones is pretty good as you have all sorts of jam along or recording options as well and can be fairly cheap.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    My advice would be that unless you need to be pin quiet open backs are better sounding than closed backs
    But they are particularly obnoxious if the wife is watching the telly etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640
    crunchman said:
    ecc83 said:

I had an HT5 although I sold it quite a while ago.  The emulated out was ok but you can get just as good (if not better) with the free version of amplitube and just plug the headphones into your computer.

Then you have the flexibility to get an amp you like the sound of the best, rather than worry about whether it has an emulated out.  For me the VHT Special 6 head I have now is a much better sounding amp than the HT5 head I had before.  Your taste may be different but I'd buy purely on how good the amp sounds.

The VHT is significanly cheaper than the Blackstar as well so you could always put the difference towards a dummy load with an emulated out - which you would then have the option of using with other amps in the future.

Yes of course, the variations are legion. I merely wished to point out that the provision of a headphone output does not HAVE to compromise the performance of the rest of the amplifier in any way.

Dave.

• EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    edited March 2016
    @Cabicular is certainly right about the open back cans. Audio-Technica ATH M50's are great closed back cans though as are Sennheiser HD-25's. If you go down the Sennheiser route get the full fat model not the sp model. Also check you are getting 70 ohm not 600 ohm if buying online.