Very Basic Recording Setup / Microphone Recommendation

What's Hot
breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
I'm currently using a Ditto looper to record backing tracks to solo over.

The Ditto is almost the perfect tool for me - basic, easy to use, sounds great - but it doesn't have the ability to save loops, & I'm finding that I'm coming up with lots of great ideas but then forgetting them the next time I pick up my guitar.

I'm not looking for stellar sound quality, just essentially a notebook to record riffs & backing tracks, so I can play them again the next time I take out a guitar. I'd thought about a Zoom H-1 but I'm just going to be transferring the recordings straight to my laptop so I may as well bypass that, get a microphone & use Audacity or something similar. 

My question is, though, what microphone should I get? Something cheap & cheerful but with reasonable clarity - recordings from my laptop's inbuilt mic & the one on my phone are a distorted mess. & that's with the amp clean & on low volume. I've heard good things about the H-1 - something like the mic on this that I could connect directly to my laptop would be perfect. Any suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27570

Is an iPad an option for you?

Lots of very good (cheap) apps out there for guitaring.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    For a half-decent recording setup you'll want some kind of interface. I looked for a long while at half-decent mics you can plug directly into your mobo/sound card mic input, and it looked like more hassle than it's worth. I would recommend the cheapo Behringer mic, like the C1, C2(s) or C3, depending on your application. They all need phantom power though, unfortunately. Perhaps the B series (SM57ish) would be more up your street.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    edited August 2013
    Define "cheap and cheerful"....?

For example, you can get a Focusrite Saffire USB interface for less than £100 second hand, plug your guitar into it and use Amplitube Custom Shop (which is free) for amp tones, which also doubles as a recorder for your guitar track only.

If you want to get a bit more fancy, you could get a mic (something like an SE Electronics SE2000) as well as the interface, and a DAW (Reaper is free to try and £36 or so to buy, and isn't just "good for the money"), and start learning to record multiple tracks in relatively high-quality.

The first solution would work fine if you really just want to get on with noting down riffs and licks, though.
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Reaper is free to try and £36 or so to buy, and isn't just "good for the money"), and start learning to record multiple tracks in relatively high-quality.
    He means "Awesome value, as it's a superb DAW tool"
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    If you have an android phone and want somethin ubber cheap i.e. Free install hi q mp3 recorder no distortion and quite good quality, you may need to buy the full version for longer record times but well worth a try.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    Do you even need a mic? A guitar recorded in via anything with an amp & speaker sim should be fine enough for recording quick ideas. 

condenser mics great for acoustic guitars but dynamic mic like a 57 better for electric ...... at least when recording at home. Condenser mic much more sensitive and will pick up un amplified sound of pick on strings,next doors dog barking etc 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 333
    breadfan said:
    I've heard good things about the H-1 - something like the mic on this that I could connect directly to my laptop would be perfect. Any suggestions?
    The newer H1s act as a USB mic when plugged into a PC. There's also a software upgrade available which adds this functionality to the older ones. ASIO drivers are available from Zoom's web site. I have one and it works well with Reaper, etc. plus you have the convienience of a portable recorder.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    The Zoom G3 can be used as an audio interface and of course has a few useful amp sims. That and Audacity or Reaper would be more than enough to record ideas.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    ewal said:
    The Zoom G3 can be used as an audio interface and of course has a few useful amp sims. That and Audacity or Reaper would be more than enough to record ideas.
    Actually yes, if you're just going to be recording guitar then this is a great course of action. I do just this, with Reaper.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    edited August 2013
    I use a little Tascam hard disk recorder (DR-07) for when inspiration strikes. Boots up real quick and is ready to go in seconds. You can also overdub and all files can be dragged off the SD card onto your computer. I find it quicker than faffing with mics/interfaces/cables/computers etc. Oh and i have it on a little tripod too (recommended).
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited August 2013
    i just bought an M audio usb interface for about £75 on fleabay new - that is a decent interface which also means you can listen to yourself play over a backing track without any latency issues (ie there isn't any delay/lag between playing and hearing what you play).

it's got phantom power so you can use decent studio mikes

I've also bought a cheap behringer C1 mike for about £30 - sounds ok to me.  So can record the guitar by dangling the mike in front of the amp or plug the guitar direct into the M Audio unit.  Good quality.

I've also got a copy of audacity which does the recording.  Not tried Reaper yet and i've also got a copy of band in a box which I'm hoping will allow me to quickly knock up backing tracks with drums n stuff.

i'm completely new to this and haven't had proper time to record as yet so watch this space re any results

nick
  • zoglugzoglug Frets: 1
    I picked up a Focus-rite Scarlet 2i2 usb interface along with a t.bone MB75 dynamic mic from Thomann. Works great for me and wasn't too expensive. As for a DAW i just use Reaper. First program i used and i couldn't be bothered trying others!