Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Relic fail?

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7489
edited December 2013 in Guitar
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MJT-Official-Custom-Vintage-style-Aged-Nitro-Guitar-Body-by-Mark-Jenny-VTS-/310814668723?pt=Guitar&hash=item485dff77b3

I thought MJT were supposed to be good?!

If I bought a guitar like that, it'd get stripped and refinished ASAP!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    All this fake vintage stuff is crap, but that is on another level of crap
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Much better done than most if you're looking for the Rory Gallagher level of wear.

I'm not a huge fan of 'heavier' relics but if you don't think that's quite a good one you're missing the point.

The bad ones are those that don't correspond to any known or possible natural wear, and there are plenty of those to take the piss out of :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    That does look surprisingly poor to me. I agree, I'd strip it off if I had that guitar.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited December 2013
    Matt Jenny is one of the best - but there's an important factor at work here:

Do you want a realistic relic (in which case he's your man)

OR

Do you want an unsubtle relic (in which case he's good but noone is good enough to make that not look crass)

I learnt that the hard way with my MJT tele - the relic'd tuners, bridge, scratchplate, neck and body are top notch - but I foolishly went for a few heavy relic options that are just a little bit cheesy. It's not Mark or Matt's fault people want cheesy.

at the end of the day if you hate relics, you enjoy telling people you hate relics.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't like relic myself, but I have seen some lovely examples where I can see the attraction, including a recent lp jnr copy someone has received.

But this one just looks really... Nasty, like it's been set on fire then dragged down the stairs. It doesn't even have the 'prop' guitar look.

Maybe I'm missing something, though.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    edited December 2013
    That's not the best, but some people like that. I think his light-medium relics look great and I'd love one of his double bound Tele kits, maybe a nice 60s Strat too.  I think this one looks the part...

• Someone should create a thread and dedicate it to relic fails, like this beauty:

The sad part is, the rest of the guitar looks in real decent condition:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980s-Fender-Squier-MIJ-Strat-Stratocaster-Made-in-Japan-E-Series-/291036338123
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    edited December 2013
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Thing always been on my mind: You buy a top notch relic and then want to sell it... ermmm... how do you know as a buyer if this ding here is legit?? Doesn't this inconsistency plummet the value??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If it's a genuine relic, IE, a battered guitar, the value drops.  The exact same guitar from the same year (let's say a 2008 LP for the sake of dating it as modern) but professionally abused is worth more, probably?

Never understood it.
  • Just to give an example of a really great relic, 

It's unrealistic, but it means it's not trying to be something it's not, as such - it's like a prop, and looks great for it!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7489
    edited December 2013
    Whoa.  Although, I will likely round off the board on my upcoming build for comfort, but that's not really relic so much as just comforting!

I love how he defends himself, like when removing the knob.  That's the kind of wear that actually *does* happen in real life though. The wear patch with the knife looks ridiculous though. 
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Just to give an example of a really great relic, 

It's unrealistic, but it means it's not trying to be something it's not, as such - it's like a prop, and looks great for it!
    Am I wrong for really liking that?

I like guitars with bumps and scrapes.  I'm terrible with 'mint' guitars because (rather like new shoe syndrome) I'm terrified I'm going to scratch / bump / damage it.  If the guitar already has bumps, it doesn't matter one bit.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Oh dear... that PRS vid is depressing. I'm not a PRS fan by any means but that has *not* enhanced the look of the guitar at all, IMHO
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I love relics that are done well.....hopefully you'll agree my Strat looks good?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    1nten5e said:
    I love relics that are done well.....hopefully you'll agree my Strat looks good?

Yes. *That* is how to do it. Not overdone, no shotgun effect, no repeat-pattern damage, just some random dings and scrapes in places where they could really occur, and arm wear that doesn't look like it was done with a sander. Good enough that you would think it was real if you didn't know.

Seriously, the first one is pretty good too - it may be extreme, but so is Rory Gallagher's original, and this is at least a reasonable attempt at copying it compared to many.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 1nten5e said:

That looks awesome! The only bit I'm not keen on is the wear on the inside of the lower horn, but that's because I'm being a fussy, relic hating git.  Seriously, looks genuine.

I get what you're saying, ICBM.  I guess I might be a bit harsh on it, but it just doesn't look...Real.  I guess, when it's that buggered, it never will - even Rory's looks pretty... Er... Well, I'd have had it refinned ;)

Each to their own, though.  

I understand relic work for people replacing shitty hardware - if it's buggered, on a worn guitar, there is no way you would want to see a bright, shiny, chrome tailpiece. 
  • Also, I love the pickguard on yours - is that actually genuine?  It's really hard to get that right.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    The whole thing is John Cruz Masterbuilt, so not genuine nope :)