Show me your loop-switcher-based pedalboards...

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
So I'm on a long-term psychological con job to convince/allow myself to just stump up/save up cash for a loop-unit based board - a proper big fuck off one with a tier and everything so that I'm sorted for ever more.

I already know in my heart I'll do it, but I need my conscious to get ok with my subconscious (or vice versa, I'm no psychologist) 

So who has one, or has had one, or has seen one they really like the look of? 

Show me :-) 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4548
    Have you a baguette?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    Not right now. It is not ok. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    Had one for all of 6 weeks. Hated it, largely because of set loops.
    The ES-8 makes this interesting again..
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    I did it and then went back again. 

I think you will do the same. 

The main problem is that you will not be able to assign all the combinations you use for easy access. 

For example if you have 16 pedals there are 65,535 possible combinations. 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    monquixote;999031" said:
    I did it and then went back again. 

I think you will do the same. 

The main problem is that you will not be able to assign all the combinations you use for easy access. 

For example if you have 16 pedals there are 65,535 possible combinations. 
    Spot on, after a certain point it becomes counter intuitive. I had a look at one but ended up going for a simple Quartermaster with flip/flop function.

This way I can control my drives and tuner through the QM and switch the Swirl and Delay on and off as usual and to taste.

I couldn't go back to having no switching now, this is a great compromise for my needs.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/2F3D4C89-FBF7-4986-88F2-C4BD74EA9D51_zpstyzheqop.jpg

Interesting.

Part of the reason/justification is needing some midi control for the H9s in any case. I was just going to buy a midi preset switcher and it's grown from there
    Red ones are better. 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I have 2 H9s and just use the MIDI Mouse to change their patches as well as the drive settings/channels on my Suhr Hedgehog. It works excellently and I never need to change within a song, just between them, so its easy to use.

Are you sure you're not just looking for a change for change's sake?

Are you sure you're not just looking for a change for change's sake?
    That's very possible
    Red ones are better. 
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    I investigated a few loop switchers and ended up with the musicom lab efx mkiv

It has 50 banks of 5 presets accessible from the unit at one time but the thing that sold me over the g2 and others is that you can set it in song mode so if those 250 presets you can select the 5 switches across the front to access any preset from any bank

I've set mine up to have a switch for different sections of the song

Eg

switch one - intro
    Two - chorus
    Three - bridge
    Four - solo
    Five - misc

You can assign the same preset to switch one as switch three or whatever

You can save 99 songs selectable by the bank switches

You can also start the unit in setlist mode - you can reorder you saved songs in the order you need them for a gig so you can have the next song you need ready by pressing the bank up switch.

I think it can send 6 midi messages per preset and also expression pedal control via midi

You can name the songs and also each preset but when you're in song mode only the name of the song is shown and you have the 5 sounds ready.

it can't reorder loops though or control input / output can like the g2 can or flip the phase of one output so that's something to consider

Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    edited March 2016

was looking at getting a boss ES-5.

musicom has just blown it out the water!

edit -    that price though...

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    photo image_zps7qnp3xbw.jpeg

It's pretty simple but gives me access to a lot of different sounds
    sgosden said:

was looking at getting a boss ES-5.

musicom has just blown it out the water!

edit -    that price though...

does musicom do pedal order switching and parallel mxing (ie spill over)?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    So, no then.

that's why the ES8 is so special...
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Teetonetal;999170" said:
    sgosden said:

was looking at getting a boss ES-5. musicom has just blown it out the water!edit -    that price though...

does musicom do pedal order switching and parallel mxing (ie spill over)?
    I run my timeline after the mkiv so not sure about spillover. I emailed the manufacturer and order switching isn't something that can be added to the firmware unfortunately. Regardless I think I would still choose the musicom over the others. My bandmate has a G2 and loves it so I think it's a case of checking the feature set and seeing which one suits your needs best.
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Think they are great for organisation and purity of signal BUT sometimes we just love to make things overcomplicated and it all gets just too clever for its own good - 
    Rarely do I ever use more than 2 effects at once - is it really that hard to click 2 switches instead of one 
    Great if you have tempermental vintage /germanium pedals tho 
    Dominic said:
     is it really that hard to click 2 switches instead of one 

I'm guessing you don't sing too ? ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Dominic;999590" said:
    Think they are great for organisation and purity of signal BUT sometimes we just love to make things overcomplicated and it all gets just too clever for its own good - Rarely do I ever use more than 2 effects at once - is it really that hard to click 2 switches instead of one Great if you have tempermental vintage /germanium pedals tho 
    Sometimes it would be a lot more than two switches, I go from a delay clean sound to a boosted crunch tone with additional eq, that's four and that's a simple change!

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2444
    I'm in the middle of a rebuild so don't have a pic yet.

As far as the do I don't I thing goes, here's the way I look at it and my reasoning for going for the GigRig. I have a lot of pedals. I rarely have more than 2 on at once. I started to notice however that I was using the same combinations of fx all the time. Some of this involved leaps from one side of the board to the other and no matter how I arranged the pedals, I had to compromise position somewhere or buy more of the same pedal. Switching sounds also involved an amount of brain power and forward thinking. When you're singing and playing this can be a problem. What the G2 (or insert preferred switcher here) offers me is the ability to do what these units do but more importantly free up brain power which I don't have a lot of and need to keep in reserve as much as possible.

Loop switchers and multiple pedals are essentially very expensive multi FX. I could sell my board, buy a Helix or an FX8, have many more options, have enough money for a spare one, a pint and possibly a handjob from mucky Mary in the next village. I guess I don't because I'm an idiot but I like the way my system works and that I can chop and change as I see fit as well as not having to scroll through menus and be limited to only whats on offer.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom