Recommend me a nice MUFF!

What's Hot
TeeByrdTeeByrd Frets: 159
Hi guys, as the title states, I'm after a muff pedal that will sound sweet with my current setup. I already own 3 muffs but I'm finding that I'm either not particular liking how they sound with my Morgan AC20 Deluxe, or that they are too ridiculously big to fit on my board. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The Morgan is pretty 'middy' so I'm thinking something more scooped, flat or with mid controls would be more suitable. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Muffroom is the obvious choice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited March 2016
    Muffroom is the obvious choice
    flagged for copyright infringement 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited March 2016
    Check out gilmourish. Loads of reviews there. Worthwhile to get a good idea on what's available even if you don't like Gilmour. Here's a link one that seems to be liked.

A link to all other muff reviews: http://www.gilmourish.com/?cat=16
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    edited March 2016
    EHX Deluxe Big Muff
    It has a mids control plus more option, also cheaper than the various Muff copies.
    Lots of Muff info....
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_news.html
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22163
    Muffroom Cloud, Vick Audio 73 Rams Head, the Tone Wicker is good if your budget is small...

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Buffalo and Skreddy would be my first ports of call.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24341
    Thorpyfx Furry Fuck Trench. Or whatever the new name will be.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2556
    Go for an actual Big Muff would be my advice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited March 2016
    That EHX Deluxe Big Muff looks like a good bet. All the boutique Muff variants are basically addressing the limited tone control on a Big Muff, so it looks like this makes them fairly redundant. 

There was a boutique Muff variant that turned up a little while ago, in a very nicely finished black-crackle case with CNC-engraved labelling. That's the best looking one. Can't remember who made it. It had extra tone control. 
  • TeeByrdTeeByrd Frets: 159
    The Delux Big Muff is a bit big for my board, and I already have a vintage 83 V6 Big Muff. Again too big. I also have a Stomp Under Foot TriMuff (doesn't sound that good through the Morgan) and an Emanating Fist Electronics (DAM) Black Russian (absolutely massive). The muffs I'm currently considering are - Thorpy Muffroom Cloud. - Skreddy P19 - Psionic Audio 3:14 Is there much control over the mids on the Muffroom? The P19 has a switch for flat or boosted mids, but no scoop. The 3:14 has a mids dial for scooped to boosted but I've only just discovered this company. Buffalo never seem to be in stock anywhere. Any other suggestions!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    I had the p19 and the lunar module and thought the latter was better.

Neither knocked the Wampler velvet off my board.

I've only tried the muffroom briefly but if I was starting again that's what I'd have.
  • The best I've had. And I have had a good few are the black arts pharoah pedals.
    The vick was quite dark.

I think I am about to move the pharoah on only because I am restless to try other pedals out. And the miab sound is calling my name.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Joe has some Buffalo in stock @JoesPedals
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24341
    The Muffroom EQ is active, so it cuts and boosts. If you want a mid hump shape you can reduce the treble and bass and up the output volume. Same EQ shape as a mid boost, just a different way of getting it.

It's a very versatile pedal.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    I'm currently selling a P19, I also have a original 70's little Big Muff which sounds immense but can be quite hard to tame.

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    There is A Thorpyfx triangle muff clone in the classifieds for 50 quid. I used to own it. Muff.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited March 2016
    My Muff for a year now has been an Emanating Fist (D*A*M) Dope Priest. It's not small but it is exceptional. I used BATs before that.Pharaoh, Coven and LSTR also great but not in the same league ( or price point ;-) ).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    The Solid Gold FX Imperial is really good, and will do the scooped/flat/boosted mids switching thing.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Well, it's patently obvious to me, you need the Little Big Muff I have for sale in the classifieds.....obviously.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7803
    monquixote;1002502" said:
    I had the p19 and the lunar module and thought the latter was better.

Neither knocked the Wampler velvet off my board.

I've only tried the muffroom briefly but if I was starting again that's what I'd have.
    Would echo that. Lunar module much better than p19 imo