Cab covers?

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
OK, who's good for amp covers? Having spent a lot more than usual on my Matrix cab, I'd rather protect it a bit.

I can't remember who I got my last cover from, but they were terrible - took too much money, sent me the wrong cover entirely (despite being given exact measurements), argued over a return and then refused communication altogether.

Obviously, I'm pretty keen to avoid that again. So...recommendations?
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ian964ian964 Frets: 43
    edited March 2016
    I've used RoqSolid - http://www.roqsolid.co.uk - good product and no complaints at all
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2016
    Hot Covers or RoqSolid are both great.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited March 2016
    I've had several from hotcovers and roqsolid.

Basically ->

Hotcovers are more padded and generally slightly cheaper, though they don't fold away as flat because of the thicker design.  The material itself is slightly softer though I've never had a tear.

Roqsolid are less padded as standard (though I think you can now add padding?) and are generally slightly more expensive.  The material itself seems more durable.  The standard ones seem more easy to fold away flat.

In general I go Roqsolid for larger covers because they fold flatter more easily, which saves space when they're off.  If that won't ever be an issue for you then you could pick whichever you prefer.

As for options - I'd personally say a cable pocket can be a good idea on the side of a cab cover (if you'll use it) but I think an understrap isn't - usually the covers fit so snugly they're not going to come off easily anyway and having the understrap means you always have to lift it up to undo it, which is annoying on a heavier item.  I know you bought this cab specifically for weight saving but I don't see any point in doing additional awkward lifting/angling.
  • ian964ian964 Frets: 43
    The advantage I found with RoqSolid for a speaker cover was having the option of an internal pocket that you could put a piece of thin plywood or hardboard into to protect the grill/speaker cone. It does add to the cost though! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited March 2016
    I got these for my Bogner and I must say they are the best I have ever had - I have the Clamshell type

Not sure about shipping etc though as I had mine when I bought the amp used, but they are here in UK so must be able to do something!!!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Roqsolid = excellent product and service

/thread
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    I highly recommend Jenart. They're a small operation that seem to mainly do B2B stuff, but they've done me some excellent one-offs at very reasonable prices (i.e. cheaper than hotcovers and roqsolid). I usually get 10mm padded with a cordura-like outer and they are solid. Worth contacting them with your dimensions for a quote.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    About 20+ years ago I bought some custom made padded covers for my EV subs from a couple of Guys in Grantham. I can't remember the business name and suspect they've moved on, but since they are local(ish) to you might be worth a search. Excellent quality and very good pricing with good communication.
    Can't find anything obvious in a web search, sorry.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    The best amp covers I've had were from Silverstone and I got good service from him but I'm aware he let a lot of folks down. Shame.

I had a custom cover made by Hotcovers for a Fishman acoustic amp. To say it was a loose fit is an understatement. Nothing like the Silverstone fit and quality. In future I'll stick to Roqsolid.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Roqsolid = excellent product and service

/thread
    They did however make mistakes on two seperate orders I placed. The dimensions were right but they mixed them up and got a handle hole in the wrong place.

All sorted at no cost to me, but they need a big  "measure it twice cut it once" sign in their workshop!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    Jimbro66 said:
    The best amp covers I've had were from Silverstone and I got good service from him but I'm aware he let a lot of folks down. Shame.

I had a custom cover made by Hotcovers for a Fishman acoustic amp. To say it was a loose fit is an understatement. Nothing like the Silverstone fit and quality. In future I'll stick to Roqsolid.
    Silverstone! That's the one who screwed me over. I thought it was Roqsolid for some reason, but I wasn't sure.
    <space for hire>
    Jimbro66 said:

Silverstone! That's the one who screwed me over. I thought it was Roqsolid for some reason, but I wasn't sure.
    Yeah, I don't know what happened with Silverstone. He started off with a great product and a nice little business but then it all went pear-shape big-time. I guess I was lucky but lots weren't.
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 124
    +1 on Hot Covers. Excellent quality, well padded and delivered remarkably quickly.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Jimbro66 said:
    That's odd - the HotCovers covers I've seen are so identical to the Silverstone ones that without the badges it's hard to tell them apart.

Did you supply them with the dimensions, or did they get them themselves (eg from Fishman's website)? I once had an issue like that with a flightcase, although it was the other way round... it wouldn't shut!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've got two Roqsolid covers (head and cab), one made from my measurements because they didn't have it on file (Rocker 30 head).  Both excellent fit and seem pretty durable so far (nearly three years for cab cover I think).

The cab cover is their standard felt-lined one.  Head cover has the extra padding, but TBH it's not really that much more protection - I probably wouldn't bother with that again.  The felt-lined cover provides enough protection against rain and minor carrying scuffs and bashes for me.  If I need another cover I'd definitely use Roqsolid again.
    ICBM said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    That's odd - the HotCovers covers I've seen are so identical to the Silverstone ones that without the badges it's hard to tell them apart.

Did you supply them with the dimensions, or did they get them themselves (eg from Fishman's website)? I once had an issue like that with a flightcase, although it was the other way round... it wouldn't shut!
    It was for a Fishman Loudbox Artist which is a slightly odd shape so I offered to supply dimensions but they said they didn't need them....... I then received a cover that was a very loose bulbous fit and nothing like as well made as the Silverstone covers I'd previously had. Perhaps I was just unlucky but I wouldn't bother with them again personally. But then, I was fortunate in having three really good covers from Silverstone whilst others, like @digitalscream, had very bad experiences. I'll be looking to Roqsolid next time I need a cover.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I prefer the Roqsolid too, just curious since I've only seen pretty good work from HotCovers.

I've got a Silverstone on my Mesa (which the previous owner bought) but I don't really like it, it's slightly too short so it doesn't protect the bottom edge of the amp properly, and I don't like the overly stiff unfoldable bulk of it. I should get around to replacing it really...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• matonematone Frets: 211
    HotCovers for me.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    My Bogner is covered by a hand towel, no joke!
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I prefer Roqsolid. Have used/sold a lot of them.