Adele headlining glastonbury

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72467
    I quite like Adele, but… likewise.

I also like Lana Del Rey, but she was dire at Glastonbury. No life to it at all, and she looked bored and as if she didn't want to be there.

I wonder which old-timer will do the Dolly Parton/Lionel Richie slot this year, and be the best thing there again?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2561
    ICBM said:

I wonder which old-timer will do the Dolly Parton/Lionel Richie slot this year, and be the best thing there again?
    My money's on Stevie Wonder as he's over here in the summer. Although that would be very cool. Certainly much better than Adele.
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    ICBM said:
    I quite like Adele, but… likewise.

I also like Lana Del Rey, but she was dire at Glastonbury. No life to it at all, and she looked bored and as if she didn't want to be there.

Believe that slot's being filled by Jeff Lynne's ELO this year.

Likewise underwhelmed by Adele - Saturday night headliners are usually the big attraction, with light show, fireworks etc. It's not a night for belting out Someone Like You while your makeup runs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    It's probably an indication of the dearth of big (new) acts these days. Who else could have headlined? Any candidates? I can't think of any.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16111
    Adele - undoubtedly talented but isn't day to day life sometimes dreary enough and then to have to suffer this morose ,self -indulgent boring music ..................at least Leonard Cohen made a proper job of it and Tom Waits to a lesser degree
    Why is it that suddenly in the last 5 years pop music has become one of 2 things ;
    either Gangster / Rappy  stuff or this dreary melancholy type empty music (include Coldplay) Adele ,Emily Sande,Ed Sheeran etc
    What happened to all the uplifting ' proper' pop -where are Duran Duran when you need them !

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    cruxiform;1008890" said:
    ICBM said:

My money's on Stevie Wonder as he's over here in the summer. Although that would be very cool. Certainly much better than Adele.
    Stevie Wonder played in 2010 - a bit soon to have him back?

The good thing about Glastonbury is the headliners are rarely the best watch anyway. There's so much else to see.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Adele, Coldplay and Muse confirmed so far. What a snoozefest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    When I went to Glastonbury, I think I only saw one act perform at the Pyramid stage - the rather magnificent Elvis Costello.  All the other time I spent watching acts at other stages.  I remember there was a lot of fuss about Coldplay headlining on Saturday which was when I saw Squarepusher. 

There are a huge number of different stages at Glastonbury, there's generally something great on if you're prepared to take a chance. 
    It's probably an indication of the dearth of big (new) acts these days. Who else could have headlined? Any candidates? I can't think of any.
    Calvin Harris or/and Taylor Swift

Dominic said:
    What happened to all the uplifting ' proper' pop -where are Duran Duran when you need them !

Sadly Duran Duran weren't very good last time they appeared on Jools. Their new guitarist doesn't fit and the material wasn't very good.

Apart from the above, try -

OneRepublic
    Imagine Dragons
    Years & Years

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621
    I thought Adele had always said she didn't want to headline big festivals, saying herself that she wasn't an appropriate act for that?
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22188
    edited March 2016
    p90fool said:
    I thought Adele had always said she didn't want to headline big festivals, saying herself that she wasn't an appropriate act for that?
    Maybe her local bakery has sent her the invoice for last year's cake delivery account and caused her to change her mind.  

5reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Have you noticed how Adele has been advertised, no sorry, featured on the BBC News website for several weeks so far this year. Her publicist must be due a big bonus for all that free advertising at licence payers expense...
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22188
    Chalky said: Have you noticed how Adele has been advertised, no sorry, featured on the BBC News website for several weeks so far this year. Her publicist must be due a big bonus for all that free advertising at licence payers expense...
    It's more of a statement on how few truly big names there are in British music now. Compare the number of platinum albums last year compared to 1995. She gets shedloads of coverage because there's sod all else to cover. As I said in another thread, the industry has revolved around her album because they couldn't allow it to fail because there's fuck all else with that selling power. If it failed, the industry is in a big shitty mess. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9814
    Glastonbury is much better to watch afterwards anyway when theh highlights videos are on the website so you don't have to listen to the twats of R1 chuntering away and you've no risk of clicking on somebody you've no interest in listening to
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    boogieman said:
    Adele, Coldplay and Muse confirmed so far. What a snoozefest.
    Dear God  :(

When I went to Glastonbury, I think I only saw one act perform at the Pyramid stage - the rather magnificent Elvis Costello.  All the other time I spent watching acts at other stages.  I remember there was a lot of fuss about Coldplay headlining on Saturday which was when I saw Squarepusher. 

There are a huge number of different stages at Glastonbury, there's generally something great on if you're prepared to take a chance. 

but yeh kinda that. Long, long time since I went but it's the experience and the choice of stages so the headliners don't matter all that much.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    This seems to be the pattern with Glastonbury, announce a slightly different or "controversial" headliner then Internet gets its knickers in a twist.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• BodBod Frets: 1316
    Chalky;1009143" said:
    Have you noticed how Adele has been advertised, no sorry, featured on the BBC News website for several weeks so far this year. Her publicist must be due a big bonus for all that free advertising at licence payers expense...
    That's exactly my problem with Florence and the Machine. The BBC "predicted" they would be the new act of year several years ago then proceeded to ram them (her) down our throats at every available opportunity, announcing at the end of the year that they were right.
    Bod said:
    That's exactly my problem with Florence and the Machine. The BBC "predicted" they would be the new act of year several years ago then proceeded to ram them (her) down our throats at every available opportunity, announcing at the end of the year that they were right.
    They did the same with Elbow before that, and it really put me off. It took several years before I actually listened to them properly and discovered that they were in fact quite good.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    Pity Brian Johnstons hearing has gone. I recon ACDC would go down a storm.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10297
    Given the recent tread for nostalgia and lack of big hitters I reckon even Steps could smash it.

And I'm only half joking.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom