Finished! Booboo build

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited March 2016 tFB Trader
    Sarge said:

I realised as I hung it up to dry that I forgot to drill for the trem claw earth connection, can this be earthed any other way, say by soldering to the copper shielding in the cavities?
    No - you are seriously better just drilling the hole - it shouldn't be hard or dangerous
    Drill from the rear cavity to the front at a really shallow angle
    If you feel your way along the spring cavity wall till you het to the recess for where the humbucker feet will sit - drill there - off to one side of where the humbucker leg would go...not that you'll have that issue as you are having single coils

Actually looking at the routhing I'm almost surprised it hasn't broken through there anyway - you may find that a pointy tool like an awl or bradawl would punch straight through

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    OK thanks @FelineGuitars, I'll use the dremel as it's a much lower profile, still scary!
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    I've seen this on all the booboo guitarbuild bodies, that there rout on the back, is that a historical thing or is it simply not routed far enough up, or then again is that where it's supposed to stop and the very edge then taken off with paper??? i know that's probably a dumbo question to all you strat owners but seeing as I've never really owned one or cared enough to look at the back of one this baffles me. Whats the lowdown on it anyway?
    @Lamf68 I couldn't tell you, I can say it was a right bugger to shape, I went and bought a half round file to tackle it, then lots of fine sanding.
    hopefully someone with more Booboo experience will be along shortly to explain.
    All finished bar the tuners arriving.
    I ended up going with a soft sheen, 0000 wire wool to flatten the last coat then a rigorous buffing with a microfiber cloth.
    Pics later.
    Tuners arrived courtesy of @JookyChap, thanks a billion buddy!
    10.2mm conversion bushings and strings arrived today so all systems go!

Strung it up and plugged in.... Buzzzzzzz.... damnit, earth problems and tone was down full on the neck pickup, so undo strings, plate and jack plate to find I'd bent a lug to short out and my jack was wired 't wrong way round, numpty that I am.
    All back together and just a wee filing of the string nut has it near perfect, happy bloody chappy!
    Sounds great, plays great (Northwest guitars neck is superb!) and looks and feels lovely!
    Pics taken but I'm out the house now so uploads later.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Looking forward to seeing the finished result Sarge...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited August 2016
    Pics as promised.

I might still take some from the base of the neck pocket as it is a litt proud still.
    Also I just noticed a couple of the strings don't sit well in the nut, so tomorrow I'll fit a new bone one.

This has been a load of fun, and I'm suprised this is my first partsa, should have done this years ago!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll listen to suggestions for a name, so far all I've come up with is BooCaster.....
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2580
    tFB Trader
    looks great Sarge, really nice work.

Thanks @Modulus_Amps, I had only played sitting down so I goes to put the strap on and strike a pose...... Spot the deliberate mistake.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Lovely job...looks very playable :)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    That's very handsome Sarge, good stuff.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    That looks sweet. Great job =D>
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Good effort @Sarge, you have nice wood (never thought I'd say that to a chap!) the tort guard sets it off a treat.

Partscasters are addictive..whats next?
    Have a Wow!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Thanks guys.

Whats next?  I saw a lovely paulonia strat kit on ebay.......
    or I could actually finish some of the other projects that started way before this build was even thought of..
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Surely a Youtube clip of you playing it is needed!
    Chalky said:
    Surely a Youtube clip of you playing it is needed!

Now that's the funniest thing I've heard all week!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I'm being serious!
    I hate the pickup covers and knobs, I went for a set in vintage white so they would match, but I should have splashed out some more because these look cheap and almost translucent.
    So where can I get nice thick covers with rounded edges? like the Fatboy covers recently sold in the classifieds here, but in 50/52/52 with matching knobs?